SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Standard pressure 9mm recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard pressure 9mm recommendations Login/Join 
posted
Hey, everybody’s saying that ammo always getting better and better. I have an old 1993 P228 that I think I would like to carry from time to time. Everybody says that you should not use +P ammo in an old P228. So, are there recommendations for a modern defensive ammo that would perform well out of this little 3.9 inch barrel?

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Without doing any specific research and unless shooting from a “short” 9mm barrel (which 3.9 inches isn’t, IMO), I’d just use the Speer 124 grain standard pressure “Personal Protection” load. There are no doubt many other good alternatives, but Gold Dots have a demonstrated record of good ballistic performance.

That said, who is “everybody”? When I asked the very knowledgeable instructor at my first SIG factory armorer course a couple of decades ago about ammunition for my P225—a P228 with lower magazine capacity as far as I can tell—he said that the gun had been designed for hotter European ammunition.

I was also later advised that the important thing about longevity of SIG pistols with formed and welded two-piece slides is to follow the maintenance schedule of replacing the breech block retention pins NLT every 5000 rounds. When they get loose the slide flexes more during recoil and that puts additional stress on the frame rails.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greywarrant:
Everybody says that you should not use +P ammo in an old P228.

First I’ve heard of that. In addition to sigfreund’s observation re the pins, replace the recoil spring every 5k rounds as well.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I sit humbly corrected. So the 124 +P Gold Dot I have is ok?

Posts: 5 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s not my gun, but if it were, I wouldn’t hesitate to use 124 grain +P Gold Dot in it. That’s especially true if, as I suspect, you’d use that load for defensive carry and limited practice and not to shoot a couple of IDPA matches every weekend.

And I forgot about the recoil spring. So that, too. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t hesitate to just shoot standard pressure 124gr Gold Dot. That’s what I carry in everything.

However, a magazine or two and then for carry, the +p is fine for any quality gun made since the 80’s I’d think.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Federal 124gr HST standard velocity is one of Para's picks. Deciding on SD ammo for my new P365X and bought two boxes of 50 ($44 ea.).

Tested with Rem 115gr ball and some 9mm BPLE +P+. The hot BPLE was manageable. However, with my old arthritic hands, I decided on the HST standard velocity. Worried more about my hands than the gun. Recoil was identical with the Rem ball and standard HST.

The P365 shoots like a larger pistol. However, it does require a very firm grip for consistent hits. In a gunfight, I may or may not have that. Erred on the conservative side. I doubt the perp would would be picking standard HST's out of his chest and saying "Wow! At least they weren't +P's!" Razz

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post