SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Ammunition    Is M855A1 available outside of the military?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is M855A1 available outside of the military? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
When I ran ranges on active duty, we would get a mix of M855 or M855A1. I’ve seen M855 but don’t recall if I’ve ever seen the A1 variant.

It’s supposed to be “better”?

Not sure why we would get a mix when we ran ranges but maybe it depended on what the ASP had at that time.

Legally, no. The DOD has not released any 855A1 for sale to the public martlet. I work for the DOD in RDTE and have tested this ammo.

If you’re buying this ammo off the net in bulk or the projectiles, they were acquired in a not so “official” way.

With that being said, there are some places who have ordered this ammo for duty use (LE) and decide not to continue its use and are able to sell it.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
With that being said, there are some places who have ordered this ammo for duty use (LE) and decide not to continue its use and are able to sell it.

Does that mean that LE agencies can somehow acquire it legally?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

Yes, LE agencies can purchase 855A1 through legitimate channels. Wether they are State, Local, or Fed.

Civilian sales are not permitted through any other channels, unless of course a LE agency decides they no longer want the ammunition. They can then legally sell to civilians depending on that agencies regulations.

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, LE agencies can purchase 855A1 through legitimate channels.

Thank you.
What channels are they?
I have been associated with acquiring ammunition for an LE agency for a long time, but was not aware of any sources of supply other than through commercial vendors. What have I been missing?

(I see no reason why my agency would have any use for M855A1, but I am curious about the process.)

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Yes, LE agencies can purchase 855A1 through legitimate channels.

Thank you.
What channels are they?
I have been associated with acquiring ammunition for an LE agency for a long time, but was not aware of any sources of supply other than through commercial vendors. What have I been missing?

(I see no reason why my agency would have any use for M855A1, but I am curious about the process.)

Unfortunately, I don’t have that answer for you.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You have piqued my interest in any event.
Thanks. Smile

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
David - do you work at Picatinny Arsenal?

Posts: 9035 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I think they get it thru the 1033 program, but how that works I do not know.

https://www.ncdps.gov/our-orga...ervices/1033-program

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
David - do you work at Picatinny Arsenal?

No.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

posted Hide Post
Edited post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: davidjinks,