SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Best 5.56 suppressor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 5.56 suppressor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
The trainers are definitely more than $100 now

maybe I wrote poorly. The $100 was the difference between the price of the blast deflector and the trainer at the time I got mine. It looks a little bit bigger right now.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Did I miss your point?

Yes, but I'm not sure it matters. It's a difference of mindset. I'm not going to spend $400 on something that mimics everything about a suppressor but only directs the blast forward if I can get a blast diverter for $89. You think that's silly, and I think hanging a fake suppressor off my gun is silly. We're not likely going to convince each other.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tell me how to get a blast diverter that uses my surefire QD muzzle devices for $89
and you win.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I know you said you'd only use the 'blast diverter' when you couldn't run an actual suppressor, but why not just shoot elsewhere? Seems like a waste of too much money if that's only the justification anyway! Heck, if they've got stupid rules, why shoot there at all?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was never about arguing the use of a trainer instead of a diverter. It was about the practical applications of a diverter in place of an actual silencer. If anyone can pitch in a perk of a diverter that I haven't brainstormed already, I am all ears. I believe the trainer to be intended for simmunitions, more than anything else; I am sure it's quite unwise to fire sims through an actual silencer. Does a trainer serve the same function of a diverter as well? Yep; but it is unnecessarily heavier and longer, if you don't care to simulate the presence of your silencer. If your goal is to shoot without a silencer and tame your muzzle blast, a diverter is absolutely the way to go. The question is why the heck are you shooting without your silencer in the first place?

I don't mean you: Smudge, or you: OP. I am just trying to crack the diverter code here.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^I see what you did there... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I am just trying to crack the diverter code here.

I'm honored you picked my thread to hijack.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For KSGM the reason I sometimes have to run without the suppressor is that a certain tactical training group I do matches with is not permitted to allow suppressor use in the place they run matches. SO now you have two choices run with a simple FH which is of course already on the gun or as I chose run with the trainer. Most everybody else just runs the gun without a suppressor. I don't WHY? because lots of these really excellent courses of fire have you do stuff that is directly linked to the length of the gun, for example running in and out of ports, or vehicles, or around corners or under things etc. And I like the fact that what's on my gun is the size shape and length of what will actually be on my gun. A diverter is some silliness to make your static range buddies happier to be next door to you with an obnoxious brake.
But back to the original post I think one of the benefits of the surefire eco system is they supply a diverter and and a trainer that both fit their muzzle devices. Anybody else do that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm honored you picked my thread to hijack.
My apologies. I did inquire as to your thoughts on the various responses to your OP; you never did respond. The Hux muzzle device cost problem was solved, at least in the context of purchasing another Hux silencer. Did you ever determine if the lifespan changed, depending on barrel length?

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you ever determine if the lifespan changed, depending on barrel length?

I've sent a couple messages and they won't respond back.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was never about arguing the use of a trainer instead of a diverter. It was about the practical applications of a diverter in place of an actual silencer. If anyone can pitch in a perk of a diverter that I haven't brainstormed already, I am all ears. I believe the trainer to be intended for simmunitions, more than anything else; I am sure it's quite unwise to fire sims through an actual silencer. Does a trainer serve the same function of a diverter as well? Yep; but it is unnecessarily heavier and longer, if you don't care to simulate the presence of your silencer. If your goal is to shoot without a silencer and tame your muzzle blast, a diverter is absolutely the way to go. The question is why the heck are you shooting without your silencer in the first place?

I don't mean you: Smudge, or you: OP. I am just trying to crack the diverter code here.

I think you are overthinking it.

I have the Rugged version, and I actually really like using it on my PCC because the fireballs are fun and it looks way cooler than the shorty M2 brake.

My rationale for buying it though, was that my SBR mounts are brakes, and I like having the option to shoot comfortably at my indoor range while my can is in jail. Long term it will probably live on the PCC, but I do what I want.

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
My rationale for buying it though, was that my SBR mounts are brakes, and I like having the option to shoot comfortably at my indoor range while my can is in jail. Long term it will probably live on the PCC, but I do what I want.

Yeah, same motivation here. I'm going to just assume it's going to be a year or more wait, so I might as well spend a little more to be able to shoot my stuff at indoor ranges without concussing myself. 11.5" 5.56 is... unpleasant at best indoors, even with just a regular A2 or three prong. A brake? Woof.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you actually fired a 11.5" AR in an indoor range with a blast deflector? Because when I'm near someone who does, it doesn't make much of a difference in sound. The whole setup is painfully loud and I go out of my way to just not be near one.

posted Hide Post
Walker77, have you made any progress in your determinations?

Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Have you actually fired a 11.5" AR in an indoor range with a blast deflector? Because when I'm near someone who does, it doesn't make much of a difference in sound. The whole setup is painfully loud and I go out of my way to just not be near one.

I would say my 8" 300 is notably less obnoxious(with supersonic) with it than my 16' 5.56mm AR with an A2 at my indoor range. Still loud, it is. These are not suppressors.

I'll just shoot with the brake all the time now because you guys said my deflector is dumb.
Razz

Posts: 5144 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy hell; can we drop the deflector debate? Walker77, any progress?

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
reviving this.

I was told to buy suppressors for work.

My dealer recommended the Huxwrx Flow 556 K kits. He's giving me a very good price.

They're going on eight 14.5" rifles and one 10.5" rifle.

Expected round count is less than 500 rds per rifle (and less than 100 rds on the 10.5) per year so I'm not worried about service life (and I have to retire in 7 years so it'll be someone else's problem).

The Huxwrx will fit in all our cars (Tahoe, Exploder, Charger). That was an issue with some longer suppressors.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I still can't find a good comparative review of the Huxwrx vs a popular conventional "short" can.

There's a really long-winded one on youtube with some guy outside using one of those next to an RC2. Don't watch it, you will learn nothing. The RC2 is gassier apparently, and both sound the same because it's a video I'm watching on a laptop. Also, how do you guys sit through these gun-guy youtube videos? It's a rare one that doesn't make me cringe...

Anyway I'd be VERY interested to see how a Huxwrx 5.56 can runs on a typically-gassed DI carbine compared to a larger bore .30 cal can. Does it make tuning the gun for suppression obsolete?

posted Hide Post
A guntuber by the name of brass facts did a pretty comprehensive overview of the FlowK recently. I know you just said you disliked the YouTube videos, but they can have the resources and breadth of experience with other products with which to give objective opinions.

I'd guess that the FlowK would out-perform a .30 bore silencer of similar length in every way: sound, flash, and pressure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
The guys at Suppressed Nation on Youtube did some comparisons a few years ago, but life got in the way and they have slowed down. I have emailed with them some and they've always been helpful.

They tested a lot of cans and posted their results.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post