SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Best 5.56 suppressor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 5.56 suppressor Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I don't see huge price differences on the barrel side for many of the options. But back to the original question. I trust surefire but if I was going lighter I'm going titanium and Thunderbeast. In the earlier thread that KSGM posted above I give the weights of a few of those. But bring even more money.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those curious, the HUXWRX Flow 556K comes in two different versions, suppressor only or the "kit" which includes a muzzle device. On the wholesale side, the "kit" is only about $60 more, but a muzzle device costs a hundred bucks.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well that is heartening.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A muzzle device costs “hundreds of bucks”? Most of the ones I’ve seen from the major suppressor manufacturers cost $100-120 at most.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of them are under $100. Surefire and Hux are not.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I've been buying the brake for my huxwrx. But the concussion is crazy, even with 5.56

So I bought the new blastphemy for when I'm shooting without the suppressor.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would you want 50% of the length, and probably at least 25% of the weight, of a silencer, with 0% of the noise reduction? Why not just use the silencer? The only situation I can figure, that warrants the use of one of those things, is if you prefer a brake, and your silencer has suffered a catastrophic failure.

I am genuinely curious as to your applications for the "blast diverter". I had considered a Warden at one point, as a backup in the instance my RC2 became unusable "in the field", but I can't think of another reason to use it.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Why would you want 50% of the length, and probably at least 25% of the weight, of a silencer, with 0% of the noise reduction? Why not just use the silencer? The only situation I can figure, that warrants the use of one of those things, is if you prefer a brake, and your silencer has suffered a catastrophic failure.

I am genuinely curious as to your applications for the "blast diverter". I had considered a Warden at one point, as a backup in the instance my RC2 became unusable "in the field", but I can't think of another reason to use it.

Roll Eyes

Not that I have to justify it to you. But I don't always shoot with a suppressor.

Is that ok with you?

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Griffin makes one of those also, and I’ve been curious about how well they work. My can comes with the “EZ Brake,” which looks like it’ll be brutal on my 11” Bren without a can attached. It’ll have to do for a bit. Does the blast diverter thing live up to what it’s supposed to do?

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the blast diverter thing live up to what it’s supposed to do?

I just got it a few days ago. I haven't been able to try it out yet.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’d like to know what you think when you get the chance! Smile

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that I have to justify it to you. But I don't always shoot with a suppressor. Is that ok with you?
Of course it is.

I wasn't demanding that you justify your ownership of a blast diverter; I was asking you to explain your application of it. It's an item I don't understand, for the reasons I mentioned, and I was hoping you might say something to the effect of "well, you haven't thought of this".

I also use a brake on my gun: it's a 10.5", and I opted for a brake to save some wear on the can; judging by the erosion inside the brake ports, I'd say it's serving that purpose at least a little bit. I see zero reason to shoot my gun without the silencer attached, so I don't see the appeal of a blast diverter outside a silencer failure scenario. The barrel on the rifle you shared an image of seems to be long enough to avoid aggressive wear, though I could still understand the appeal in the wear-prevention sense, if the Flow silencers have a "life span". It seems to me that a diverter defeats the intended performance of a brake so, unless I am wrong about that, there's no performance-oriented need to shoot without the silencer itself attached, if you're going to replace it with a diverter.

If you just like to make more noise sometimes, and you like the way the gun handles with a few less inches and a handful less ounces on the front end of it, then that's fine, of course. But, if that's the case, and you're not using brakes to save wear and tear on the can or take advantage of their bare recoil-reduction characteristics every now and then, you'd be better served with a flash hider. I was hoping you could educate me a bit on something I don't fully understand.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Griffin makes one of those also, and I’ve been curious about how well they work. My can comes with the “EZ Brake,” which looks like it’ll be brutal on my 11” Bren without a can attached. It’ll have to do for a bit. Does the blast diverter thing live up to what it’s supposed to do?

Yes it does. I had a minimalist muzzle device on a 10.5” AR and used the minimalist blast shield. It worked in that the people next to me at the outdoor range stopped complaining. And the fireballs were spectacular!

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The reason I purchased blast diverters for a couple of my SBR's was to keep the length down for concealment purposes. Both have very short barrels and the concussion is severe with a brake. I generally use a suppressor on the 300 BLK with 5.5" barrel, but the 5.56 with the 7.5" barrel is not suitable for most suppressors. I will eventually find one that is rated for it but for the time being the diverter is a better choice than a brake. Overall, purchasing a 7.5" 5.56 was probably a poor choice but what's done is done.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ultimate concealability is a valid point, and one that folding stock advocates share. If instant deployment is not of the utmost importance or likelihood, I'd make a case for having the silencer in the same carry case/bag, and installing it upon unpacking the gun itself.

I know Surefire makes an SBR can, that is marketed as being intended for barrels under 10"; you may consider it.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Yes it does. I had a minimalist muzzle device on a 10.5” AR and used the minimalist blast shield. It worked in that the people next to me at the outdoor range stopped complaining.

Ok, thanks for that. Hopefully I'll be filling out the Form 4 this week, and I'm going to assume it's going to be about a year or so, so it'll be worth it to pick one of those up so I can still shoot the thing without clearing out the range.

quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
And the fireballs were spectacular!

Big GrinBig Grin

posted Hide Post
KSGM when I can't run an actual suppressor (for some stupid reason like the range doesn't permit them or whatever) I run the SureFire Suppressor Trainer which is physically the same thing but no suppression. I'd pick that over any silly "blast diverter" and of course it mounts to my current muzzle setup. For your consideration...

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
KSGM when I can't run an actual suppressor (for some stupid reason like the range doesn't permit them or whatever) I run the SureFire Suppressor Trainer which is physically the same thing but no suppression. I'd pick that over any silly "blast diverter" and of course it mounts to my current muzzle setup. For your consideration...

So... it also directs the blast forward, but it says "Surefire" on it and it costs $400. What am I missing here?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that I have to justify it to you.
at least according to the some on this thread Smile
I am not sure your exact question P220Smudge. Once you are in the Surefire system your guns have Surefire muzzle devices. So nobody is going to remove those for an occasional use without a suppressor, and install some other device period. Thus if you aren't running a surefire suppressor (or the compatible B&T) you get two options that use the Surefire QD. Surefire offers the blast regulator and the trainer both with the Surefire logo on them and both for silly money given what they are. I am unaware of a third party choice but if there is one I would happily evaluate it. Of the two options I think the trainer is the better option. When I got mine the price premium for the trainer was about $100. Did I miss your point?

posted Hide Post
The trainers are definitely more than $100 now, like Smudge said.

I agree with the trainer, if you always use the silencer, but a facility hosting training prohibits their use for some reason. I know the trainers are also highly relevant when it comes to simmunition, because the trainer simulates the presence of the proper silencer; that's important to someone who always uses the silencer. In either of these cases, I'd prefer the trainer, because I am training, and I want the training to be as valuable as possible. Fortunately, I have yet to be confronted with a situation that prohibits the use of my silencer. Unfortunately I don't use simmunitions.

I still consider the diverters to be kind of a puzzle, outside of a backup for silencer failure, or a silencer substitute when minimal OAL length is a priority, and the host weapon has a brake.

We have certainly drifted a bit from the OP, but he hasn't had much to say about anyone's replies to his OP.