SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Best 5.56 suppressor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 5.56 suppressor Login/Join 
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted
What would you recommend for a 5.56 suppressor?

I currently have a dead air wolfman for 9mm and a huxwrx 762 TI. Ive been running the huxwrx on my 5.56 guns, but I'd like something smaller and lighter for 5.56.

I was looking at the new huxwrx flow 556k, but the service life is only rated for 10k rounds.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good info in this thread of Smudge's...
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...858/m/1570090105/p/1

You'll likely hear some Surefire recommendations; I'd have to agree with them. The Flow certainly has an appeal, in terms of weight, bulk, and flow performance; I have an OSS, and it does perform as advertised. The YHM TurboK is hard to beat, in terms of value and versatility. An oddball recommendation from me is the Griffin M4SDK; I think it is a badass can, in terms of sounds performance for it's size; I also like the A2 mount interface. One thing I have grown to appreciate is the SF mount; just loosen the collar and pull straight off; no twisting of the silencer body. SF includes a brush to clean the inside of the back of the can, and just clean the carbon off the muzzle device with some regularity, and it'll never give you a problem. There's so many choices out there now, they all will tell you how they're the shit, and they ultimately all perform damn similarly. One thing I'll say is you'd do well to decide if you want HUB capability or not; all the threading-together can be aggravating. On my TurboK, I ultimately decided to stick with a Griffin A2 collar adapter in it; I Rocksetted that thing in there. That makes me feel good about that connection, but it makes it a pain to change things later, thus removing the versatility of HUB threading.

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the YHM Turbo and Turbo K are the best value in 5.56 suppressors when all factors are considered. I have not shot the new reduced back pressure models (will have a chance this month), but they are light, quiet, inexpensive cans.

The best performer is probably the HUXWRX Flow 556k. It is extremely low back pressure, very quiet, and very short and light. I understand the service life concerns, but the can is pretty new and those limits I think are largely theoretical. If overall suppressor performance were considered, I would not let the service life stop me. I do not think we know what HUXWRX's plan is to warranty repair these suppressors (I may be wrong).

Otherwise the Surefire RC2 remains a very solid, bombproof pick. It's bigger, heavier, and louder than any of the best performers and they aren't cheap, but they are a known quantity and a literal standard in the industry for hard use.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do not think we know what HUXWRX's plan is to warranty repair these suppressors (I may be wrong).

I've asked them recently and they wouldn't give me a straight answer.

Posts: 7399 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
The Rugged Razor in 5.56 gets high marks from me. I have a Dead Air Sierra 5 that I have yet to shoot. I’m kinda scared to be honest. Word has it there are more than a few Sierra 5’s that are defective which is quite odd for Dead Air. They are being a bit hush hush about it.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
There’s a bunch of Sierra 5’s on Reddit that have shit the bed, and I don’t mean a few, I mean dozens and dozens. The major problem isn’t so much that they’re all puking baffles as it is that Dead Air is being tight-lipped about it and hanging onto people’s blown up cans for months without any word. This has been a months-long saga and it solidly put me off any Dead Air suppressors.

I was really considering a Surefire RC2 until I shot one. It was really gassy, and didn’t seem all that quiet. What they are is bomb proof.

I went with a Griffin Explorr after looking into all the reviews and videos I could find. It’s still waiting on a form 3 approval to ship to my dealer, hopefully I’ll get a conjugal visit with it some time reasonably soon.

AB is another company that has me seriously interested. They’re newer than a lot of the big names so they don’t have the name recognition, but you might give them a look anyway. Reflex done a little different, no first round pop, not gassy, very quiet. It’s not a rifle can, but their F4 might be next on my list.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dead Air may take a while to fix them (and deal with it in general) because they're not making their own suppressors, KGMADE is doing it for them. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it could add some complexity.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When it comes to the weight, as that seems to be a big factor in your consideration of the Flow556k, haven't you accepted the additional weight as the new standard? I don't shoot a rifle without a silencer, so it's not "extra weight"; I forgot what it's like to shoot without that weight on there. My guns feel nice and light without a silencer installed; not heavy with it attached. It's a trade off: nice and light, but nice and loud; and, in the case of the Flow: nice and light, but nice and (apparently) consumable. That's a characteristic that high-speed .gov (understandably) isn't bothered by. It may be worth researching what barrel length their 10k recommendation applies to; if that's a threshold for a 10.3", and you're going to use it on a 16", the lifespan may be hugely different in your application.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2156 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
5.56 is always going to be supersonic--100% suppression is not realistic. You need a robust can that can take a lot of abuse (shooting).
My YHM Turbo has stood the test of time. I use the YHM QD attachment. My only complaint is the QD attachment will build up copper/carbon over time.
My other 5.56 cans are Gem Tech direct thread Treks. Old school inconel baffles.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
5.56 is always going to be supersonic--100% suppression is not realistic.

You don't say? Roll Eyes

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm not really sure what '100% Suppression' actually is, but I'm certain the ONLY thing that could come close to achieving that is .22 Rimfire!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Walker - I have two SilencerCo Omega 300 units. I know you are asking about a dedicated 5.56 suppressor but the reason I went with the Omega 300 was to allow me the ability to shoot 5.56 or 300 Blackout using the same suppressor and the 300 Blackout will use the AR lower receiver with a 300 B/O upper and it is easy to purchase or load 300 B/O in a Sub-Sonic round.

Just wanted to share this point for your review. I also use these same suppressors for my 308 Bolt Action rifle…..

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many choices. And so many sad stories of stuff that isn't quite right out of the box. And maybe is never right. And maybe somebody will warranty the problems, or maybe not. I run surefire exclusively on semi's of 5.56. period. zillions of rounds. Heavy yes. reliable yes, great mount yes, pricey yes, needs surefire muzzle device yes.
BUT 100% tough. Want to know what you are getting? then this is what you want. Want to save some $ and be in a big experiment then get something else. Now it may not matter to you that you are in the big experiment and if I could run down to the store and get another suppressor and not wait 10 months I'd give some other stuff a try. but that is not the world we live in. Buy an RC2 and be totally happy. Or get something lighter and more adventures on design and buy a couple so you have something when A sh**s the bed. Not really responsive because your goal was lighter and smaller. My goals is 100% bombproof. the rest of the issues on a surefire I can deal with.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
needs surefire muzzle device yes
It sure does, and they are almost twice as much as the average alternative manufacturer's devices. I agree with hrcjon; an RC2 is among my more recent silencer purchases, and it is the only one I use now (and I bought two more). The mount is a boon, and the device is half of what makes that happen, but golly, they are expensive (and the can doesn't come with one!) Like I said, I agree with the RC2 praise, but the devices are a bit of a bitter pill.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigarmsp226:
Walker - I have two SilencerCo Omega 300 units. I know you are asking about a dedicated 5.56 suppressor but the reason I went with the Omega 300 was to allow me the ability to shoot 5.56 or 300 Blackout using the same suppressor and the 300 Blackout will use the AR lower receiver with a 300 B/O upper and it is easy to purchase or load 300 B/O in a Sub-Sonic round.

Just wanted to share this point for your review. I also use these same suppressors for my 308 Bolt Action rifle…..

I'm aware. I use my huxwrx 762 on 300blk, 308 and 556. And my dead air wolfman can do the same but I normally leave it set up for 9mm for my MPX.

I'm looking for a dedicated 556 so I have something lighter and smaller.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:
needs surefire muzzle device yes
It sure does, and they are almost twice as much as the average alternative manufacturer's devices.

Have you ever priced a huxwrx mount?

posted Hide Post
I have an OSS, as previously mentioned; so, yes. I don't recall the muzzle device I got for it being more than $150. Hux may have different pricing that I am not aware of.

*I just looked; they are indeed close. I don't recall paying that much for one last year.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
I have an OSS, as previously mentioned; so, yes. I don't recall the muzzle device I got for it being more than $150. Hux may have different pricing that I am not aware of.

*I just looked; they are indeed close. I don't recall paying that much for one last year.

Nuts, isn't it?!

posted Hide Post
Hell, I don't know. My OSS didn't come with a muzzle device, and the Surefires didn't either. I am unsure on something like a KAC; if they do come with it, I know you're still going to spend buku bucks on a second one. So, maybe that's par for the course, for the "high-end" silencers: you may or may not get a device with the can; if you do, and you want another, you're gonna pay dearly for it.

Did your Hux come with one? And has this thread helped define your choice in a 5.56 silencer at all?

posted Hide Post
quote:
And so many sad stories of stuff that isn't quite right out of the box.
Another note on the Surefire: the chances of a lemon are extremely small, as every can is test-fired. If Dead-Air had the same QC, they could have avoided their current debacle.