SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Suppressed Weapons    Why you probably shouldn't buy a Dead Air suppressor. Let's talk about it.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why you probably shouldn't buy a Dead Air suppressor. Let's talk about it. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think the wolfman is a very nice can. I have a couple. But every can can (see how that sounds like a chorus line) have issues and what we are seeing now is deadair CS is just fubared.
I'd not suggest you get anything of theirs till they get back on their feet and demonstrate a new track record of helping customers.
That said I would be happy to recommend the rugged as an alternative that I have been happy with, with the advantage that it can be disassembled. But that really depends on what calibers are your main use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, whether any other cans are having widespread issues isn't so much the problem as them showing a complete lack of ability to help customers that do have problems. You're essentially buying their stuff as-is, new from the factory.

Posts: 17130 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
This thread, and those on Arfcom, make me glad I bought my 9mm can from Rugged. Even if the problems are largely confined to the Sierra 5, it's nice to know Rugged makes their stuff in-house and can take care of any issues.

Posts: 14124 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
This thread, and those on Arfcom, make me glad I bought my 9mm can from Rugged. Even if the problems are largely confined to the Sierra 5, it's nice to know Rugged makes their stuff in-house and can take care of any issues.
Yeah I almost bought a Sierra 5 but heard the early rumblings. Happily, I decided on a different can. It was a close call.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw the link about the failure of a DA Mask on a 5.7. Has anyone heard of this being an issue on a 22LR pistol?

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not seen any reliable evidence of masks having common issues. And in point of experience I have 2 no issues and lots of rounds. And my local crack dealer rents one, its the most popular suppressor they rent and estimates that it has more than 50K rounds. I got involved in a discussion about it one day as they were taking it apart to clean it and you can not even imagine the amount of crap.
I don't run mine on a 5.7 as having seen the blast that comes out of a 5.7 barrel there is no way I want that eroding my most favorite .22 can.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
My Wolfman and Mask have been solid so far, they were purchased some time ago.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just because I have been recently enamored with these videos...

Flash performance sucks.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
on that video one would not have much to complain about. But of course it didn't puke its guts as many of them seem to be doing.

posted Hide Post
Well my Sandman S is currently in nfa jail, so hoping it’s a winner when I get it. My ffl, who deals with a pretty good volume of cans, has as of now no issues with dead air. So hoping I don’t get disappointed once my stamp comes in.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My LGS recently had a back-and-forth with Dead Air, concerning their inventory of Sierra5 silencers.

LGS provided the serial numbers of their three Sierra5 cans, and asked if there was any sort of serial number range that was known to be affected. Dead Air said no; they said, if it's going to fail, it'll fail in the first mag, and there's nothing that can be done proactively.

LGS said the only way they can sell their inventory is if they test fire (30rds) the silencers. Otherwise, they don't feel good about selling them to folks. They asked if Dead Air was willing to offer anything to offset the cost of ammo, and the fact that the cans would have to be sold as "demo" silencers.

Dead Air sent six (two per can) 15% off coupon codes.

So, now the LGS can test fire the silencers. If they pass, the customer can buy with confidence, and get two 15% coupons to use with Dead Air. If any fail, the store can handle the repair process instead of the customer.

Seemed like a decent way to handle it.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how the lawsuit/countersuit between DA and KG Made (DA's manufacturer)? Settled? Ongoing?

Posts: 2015 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
My LGS recently had a back-and-forth with Dead Air, concerning their inventory of Sierra5 silencers.

LGS provided the serial numbers of their three Sierra5 cans, and asked if there was any sort of serial number range that was known to be affected. Dead Air said no; they said, if it's going to fail, it'll fail in the first mag, and there's nothing that can be done proactively.

LGS said the only way they can sell their inventory is if they test fire (30rds) the silencers. Otherwise, they don't feel good about selling them to folks. They asked if Dead Air was willing to offer anything to offset the cost of ammo, and the fact that the cans would have to be sold as "demo" silencers.

Dead Air sent six (two per can) 15% off coupon codes.

So, now the LGS can test fire the silencers. If they pass, the customer can buy with confidence, and get two 15% coupons to use with Dead Air. If any fail, the store can handle the repair process instead of the customer.

Seemed like a decent way to handle it.

I wouldnt buy one regardless of the coupons. I also dont think it's a great way of handling it. I think they should have taken the silencers back and replaced with new ones.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9693 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I meant decent on the part of the LGS. Not necessarily Dead Air. LGS did the best they could.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
East Valley Tactical held a suppressor shoot/industry range day today. Dead Air was there. A few times I took note of, there were long lines for everyone except Dead Air. My friends and I skipped their table.

Posts: 17130 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post