SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco Para 3 with Maxamet Blade
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco Para 3 with Maxamet Blade Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
An acquaintance has one. He has used it daily for about a year and it’s still as sharp as day one. It’s his favorite knife of all time.

Like everything, it’s gone up in price as the best I can find is $235.

Do any of you have one and what are your thoughts/opinions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Not the Para 2, but I have a Manix 2 in Maxamet & like the steel. It holds an edge very well, but is a bit harder to sharpen. Not a big deal though. Some say Maxamet is prone to chipping, but I haven't had a problem with mine so far.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
I have the Native LW with Maxamet. As Ironbutt said, if you need to sharpen, it can be a pain in the butt as it will have carbon tearout.

It holds an edge incredibly long though. I had my particular blade hardness tested and it was 70.9HRC. Eek

Posts: 3361 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I've ordered the Para 3 with a maxamet blade.

I hope I like it!

Posts: 3695 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Can’t speak to Maxamet but the Para 3 is an AWESOME knife in general terms.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7620 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spyderco Para 3 with Maxamet Blade

It should be great, I have a Para and a Para2 - love them. Cool

Posts: 22842 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

It just arrived via USPS and I am impressed.

Wow is it sharp, ok Grumpy maybe not as sharp as your knives, but it will actually cut the hair on my arm.

Fun pics follow:

My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
LoL, funny thing…… I have a PM2 in Maxamet that I acid washed & added engraved titanium scales to.
It didn’t really need a mirrored edge but like others experience, it’s held that edge for a year.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^Gorgeous on both counts! The mirror image is killer. So my guess is producing an edge like that would make it even sharper than stock?

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
^^^Gorgeous on both counts! The mirror image is killer. So my guess is producing an edge like that would make it even sharper than stock?

Quite a bit. But it’s not the type of edge if you’re cutting rope , not toothy enough but for the type of use my knives get it’s my preferred type. 20dps is my go to angle for edc.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Titanium scales arrived.
Smokey Mountain Knife Works ($60) or $140 for RGT.
When the new wears off or you want the Paras to feel super solid, these are a great addition.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
They look great!

Just curious if the smooth finish would make the knife slip in your hand?

BTW, this is becoming my overall favorite knife. I don't have a collection like you, but, do own some Ken Onion Kershaws (Leek & Chive), a 2nd version of the Gibbs tiger stripe knife, and a mini-Emerson.

I also inherited a few from my father that are nice but not "modern".

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
They look great!

Just curious if the smooth finish would make the knife slip in your hand?

BTW, this is becoming my overall favorite knife. I don't have a collection like you, but, do own some Ken Onion Kershaws (Leek & Chive), a 2nd version of the Gibbs tiger stripe knife, and a mini-Emerson.

I also inherited a few from my father that are nice but not "modern".

I wouldn’t choose these scales if you were going to dress a deer or clean fish with your Paramilitarys but for casual carry I absolutely like the upgrade in the solid feel & perceived quality the added weight gives this lightweight folder.
But adding $115-$195 in scales & clip to a $170 knife might not be the most fiscally prudent course of action! LoL

But it’s a hobby so I kind of toss fiscal responsibility out the window! Big Grin

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
^^^Just gorgeous.

Unfortunately I can’t scratch that itch…yet.

posted Hide Post
Maxamet is a great steel. I’m quite fond of it.

P229 Enhanced Elite
P229R
P229

Posts: 60 | Location: Ga | Registered: August 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post