SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spyderco has completely replaced Benchmade for me Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I love my Mini Emerson CQC7 and Mini A-100. I love my Small Sebenza and the Benchmade I carry on-call. I now EDC a SAK in dayglo.

However, in a SHTF situation, I would take my Spyderco Techno over any of the knives I own.

It is small, thick and heavy. I could dig my way to China with this knife, it is that tough.

Yes, someone here posted a pic of a Techno a couple of years ago and it was love at first sight.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36836 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought Spyderco Mariner and Police knives in the Eighties. The Mariner disappeared during a coastal kayaking excursion, which taught me to never trust a pocket clip. I still have the Police, though it now has a squared-off tip. (Never pry with a knife tip!)

Other favorites include the Gunting, original Ronin, and original Yojimbo.

IIRC, the only Benchmade I have bought was a CQC-something, which I carried for a while, and then gave to a friend, as its too-squared-off feel did not appeal to me.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I was a benchmade whore for decades.
I would buy a few of the new models every year but after the fiasco that occured at BKC over the gun cutting and contributions to liberal politicians, I swore them off forever.

My main focus was on collecting the various models of Ares for a long time but when my collection was complete I needed something else to pine for regularly. That need was filled with the PM2.

That said, I don't carry a PM2 that much and prefer to carry a Yojimbo for SD work. I still carry an Ares regularly too, but neither of these are very good for regular cutting tasks.

I was gaga over the Para3 LW for a while, but over the past few months my go-to utility blade has been the Hogue Ritter. I absolutely love this knife and have three of them in rotation.
It is absolutely the Griptilian killer.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 25birdman
posted Hide Post
I am a huge Spyderco PM2 fan. I have about 4 spares just in case! These are the perfect EDC knife for me. Most of my Benchmades have been sold off.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."---George Orwell

Posts: 569 | Location: TX | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post
We are like people here.
My first three Spyderco knives were junk!
I still own two, the POLICE model is junk!
Held together with non tightening pivot pin and loosens up.
I went Benchmade, Microtec, Chris’s Reeve , Jim Burke, ZT, GT, Merc Worx, Keyshaw and a few others, then I tried SPYDERCO again!
Made in USA! I bought 4 new ones including two Sprint Run models, the Shamon with S90V and carbon Fiber and the Para 3 with S35VN black blade G-10 scales great knives.
I had in mind to get only new knives that are flippers, but I have developed the Spydy-flick.
EDCing the Manix 2 at the moment, I dusted off my Spyderco sharpener and I’m enjoying myself, taking older knives and putting a nice edge on them.
Benchmade, I have quite a few, including 4 model 710s with various scales and blade steels, never carry them.

Posts: 66 | Registered: May 05, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my Benchmade 940 that I bought about 20 years ago. Had it ceracoated in Storm Trooper White, but after the most recent kerfluffle (is that how it's spelled?)with BM, I put it in the safe.

I purchased many, many Spyercos, never liked any of them. My wife, who now carries a knife daily as I do loves her Delica. But she only cuts, never uses it roughly.

I liked my ZT0452, but it was a little big. I got a ZT 0450 which seems perfect for what I need a knife to do.

Bob

Posts: 1569 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of benchmades. Won’t be buying anymore. I’ve always had spydercos but they were never my favorite. They have some newer styles that I do like though. Zero tolerance, hogue and micro tech are good too. I have a few of those.

I have recently discovered Buck tactical knives at Academy sports. Made in USA, good steel, good design, style and very reasonably priced. Check them out!

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7938 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of toxophilus84
posted Hide Post
If you're in the Denver/Golden area and you're looking for a great deal; Spyderco has their annual 'Seconds Sale' the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

This year it will be on November 23rd below is an example of some of the deals I got from the sale last year.

the handle?... it's Latin for "Lover of the Bow".

Posts: 222 | Location: Earth, Colorado | Registered: March 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigmule
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akaSigFreak:

Good to see this, Just made the purchase. $200 for black. Im looking at the deep pocket clips as one reviewed recalled it was a wee high in the pocket.

Posts: 2330 | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
while, but over the past few months my go-to utility blade has been the Hogue Ritter. I absolutely love this knife and have three of them in rotation.

I’m hoping Doug Ritter and Hogue will come out with a mini version of his knife. I have several Mini-RSK’s by BM and that’s my preferred size for EDC. I also have several full-size GM Griptilians and RSK’s so no strong desire to get the Hogue model.

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
while, but over the past few months my go-to utility blade has been the Hogue Ritter. I absolutely love this knife and have three of them in rotation.

I’m hoping Doug Ritter and Hogue will come out with a mini version of his knife. I have several Mini-RSK’s by BM and that’s my preferred size for EDC. I also have several full-size GM Griptilians and RSK’s so no strong desire to get the Hogue model.

Edited to add: I e-mailed Doug Ritter Sunday and got a response Sunday night. He thanked me for my comments, but can’t comment on future products. He wants to get caught up on current production before introducing a new model.

Posts: 18040 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
Not all Spyderco knives are made in the US. I don't own one.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
Not all Spyderco knives are made in the US. I don't own one.

I own one, a Tenacious. It was a gift. It was good enough to make me buy the USA made models that were three times more, and surely three times more than I ever spent on a knife. But you know what? They were worth the coin.

If your point is that since they're not all made in the US, that you won't buy, I think that's kinda silly because if you buy them, a US company is profiting from the sale of a product they've invested in the development, production, marketing and licensing/sales of. If your point is that you need to see which ones are made in the US to provide more of a benefit to US manufacturing, then this is a very simple task.

The US models are available with all sorts of variety of materials, finishes, colors, etc. The stuff they have made overseas is far from garbage, however, and it has to meet the company standards. I know the idea of paying in the ballpark of $150 and up for a knife with Taiwan stamped on the blade feels almost cringeworthy (I want an original Vallotton pretty badly), but the company puts their name on the product, and they do stand by it in Boulder, Colorado.

Posts: 17097 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got several Spyderco knives but they aren’t my favorites. I generally prefer Chris Reeve, Hinderer, Benchmade, and Zero Tolerance among others. However, the Technos are probably my favorite of the brand and my Techno 2 sees a lot of carry. I just got a solid copper scale for it. After I install that it will probably see even more carry. I also just snagged that Dice for a steal and I’m enjoying it quite a bit too.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Earlier today I gave my daughter in college all the 4 benchmades I had. Going to start looking for a daily EDC but for now will pocket my Buck Stockman. Maybe build a sheath for the Buck 110.

Posts: 5692 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Shocked this thread is still going. Just to clarify I don’t think Spyderco is better THAN All COMPETITORS!!! I just found they work for me and my daily EDC tasks and still do. Their 3 inch offerings are a sweet spot for me.

Now I am a gun guy and a knife guy and a flashlight guy and a car guy and I will give you my personal opinions on any of them but those opinions only make me right for me. The only time I will call a person or product out is if I believe their choice is inherently unsafe.

All that said......those Doug Ritters are kinda sexy too. Smile

As always take care and shoot saf.....errr slice safe. Smile.........says the guy who stabbed himself......with a Spyderco. Frown. I can however personally attest that Spyderco makes a WICKED SHARP BLADE out of the box, as well as the fact that I am not adult enough to have nice things. Frown

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7663 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a lot of knives in a lot of brands. I have no particular brand loyalties, it is all about the individual knife. I had a Spyderco Domino that didn't run well, (this model has bearings)I sent it in and was charged $25 for repair. They said I had over tightened the pivot. But I had never adjusted it at all. They were the ones who tightened it. Since then I have been less confident in my Spydercos. My main work knife is the Benchmade Freek with G10 and M4 blade steel. My main play knife is a mictrotech Ultrtech Hellhound. Another fun one is a real Stryder SNG, I just play, I never carry that one. I hate Emersons. Really soft blade steel and poor workmanship.

229, 220, 320 Xcompact, 365, 365XL

Posts: 38 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post

My latest Spyderco.
I took a Spyderco Para 3 with S35VN bade steel, bought new Blue Micarta scales from RC Bladeworks, Blue screws and a Titanium Blue pocket clip.
One of my favorites.
The Manix 2 I also changed out the scales clip screws spacers and ball Cage is right now my very favorite EDC knife.
Like stated earlier I have many great brand name knives.

Picture of AJF
posted Hide Post

The Spyderco Manix 2, changed up a bit is right at the moment my favorite EDC.

Picture of bamaman
posted Hide Post
Same thing here. Used to carry Emersons, and I still love them, they are great knives, but Now I always have a Delica, or PM3 in my pocket. They seem to "fill the bill"

Posts: 500 | Location: N.E. Alabama | Registered: March 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post