SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need recommendation for an OTF knife
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation for an OTF knife Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
No more wobble than I’ve noticed on any of the Microtech’s I have owned.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend the Guardian Tactical 035. The Microtech is slightly over priced, in my opinion. I own an Ultratech and an 035 and I feel the 035 is smoother with less effort to deploy. I do love both though...

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After about 5 years of daily carry my UTX-85 went back to factory as it must have broken a spring, as the activation button now slides back and forth freely. Told me 6-8 weeks for service

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the Microtech - they do have a military/first responder discount program. Limited selection but they had exactly what I wanted at a great price. UMS (uniformed military service) marked, black handle, tanto blade. It is so sweet.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If you don’t mind me asking, what does an Ultratech in a plain color with an uncoated drop point blade cost with the discount?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should clarify a bit. The discount is on a limited selection that can vary with supplies.

Service Personnel Program

I chose the non serrated black Ultratech 123-1UMS and I believe I paid $247 for it. Marked UMS above their logo and manufacture month/year (03/2023 for mine below the logo. Subtle.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I paid $247 for the Microtech as well, which includes shipping and tax. All the Ultratech options are only colored on the side with the Microtech logo, the other sides are all black.

I'm not an LEO, but I liked the blue Ultratech with a stonewashed plain M390 tanto blade.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a Lightning yet. I've had one for over 10 years, and it's never had a failure of any type. Cool Big Grin
https://www.grindworx.com/cat-...all&utm_id=Grindworx

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my Microtech Ultratech.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: February 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
The Kershaw livewire is getting good reviews.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7943 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first was a Microtech Ultratech. Took a few days or so before my thumb was coordinated to fire without issues (weakness,) pretty stiff action. Then I bought the 85. Much easier to fire, fits my large hand perfectly, easier to carry. I will eventually get the 70 but realize it's quite small-carry at work with Leftist boss.

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been carrying a Kershaw Livewire for three weeks, my first OTF and I am very impressed with the quality, price, value.

Posts: 280 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Takcom has partnered with Bestech to produce a new switchblade. Don't know much about them, but the professional knife reviews are rating them very well.

https://takcom.com/

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Well, I finally made a purchase after much review. I bought the Hogue Compound. I'm not an OTF connoisseur, but I'm tickled to death over my choice.

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Which configuration did you get? You know we need pics, right? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Since my first reply to this thread, I've somehow managed to misplace my Ultratech. I'm pretty sure I last had it here at home, so hopefully it slipped behind the headboard or something. That's one downside with these, it's a hell of a lot of money to lose in one go. Frown

Found it in the couch! Slippery little bastard....

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
Nothing too special. I just got this one.

Hogue Compound OTF

Posts: 1921 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can attest that SIGforum’s non-detectable subliminal marketing messaging is alive and well.

The signals I was receiving since reading through this thread guided me into purchasing a Microtech Ultratech by way of their Service Personnel Program (First Responder, RSK in red).

I received it today but because this is my first auto-knife I cannot compare it to another brand.

That said, it deploys and retracts smoothly and with a just-right firm push and a pull on the thumb button and the blade is quite sharp.

It feels nice in the hand and compared to my daily carry, a ZT 0452CF, the Ultratech is barely noticeable clipped into my pocket.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cookster:
It feels nice in the hand and compared to my daily carry, a ZT 0452CF, the Ultratech is barely noticeable clipped into my pocket.

Yeah, I went from carrying a Spyderco Manix 2 XL to an Ultratech. The Manix never let you forget it was there, but it's a totally different story with this one.

Seems they only make the RSK in a tanto. Stonewashed blade? Did you go for serrated or plain edge? If it's the latter, we have the same knife, just different color bodies. I was stupid and did some cutting towards myself a few weeks ago and the tip slipped right into my left thumb between the knuckles and stopped when it hit bone. There was no blood, somehow, and the wound was really clean. Be aware that tanto tip will penetrate like you wouldn't believe. I held it closed and had the wife put some liquid bandaid on it, it healed up very quickly with almost no scar. Really clean cut.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plain edge and ‘regular’ blade finish.

I almost always go for plain ‘ole boring black for knife handles, but the RSK’s red is not a ‘fire truck red’ and it has more of a flat / satin finish, so it looks very nice to me.

Glad to hear that your self-inflicted wound wasn’t too bad!

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I bought a Kershaw Livewire a few months ago. It seems like a quality knife. The only problem I have is getting it out of my pocket. It is difficult to grip and get ahold of it when clipped inside my pocket.

Years ago, I wanted a Microtech until a good friend of mine had trouble getting warranty work on two of his knives. The only thing he ever did with them was take them out of his safe and deploy the blades to check them out. The practically new knives stopped working and Microtech would not repair them. I will check out Guardian Tactical since they are highly regarded here.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My micro tech was returned from service ahead of scheduled cleaned sharpened and ready for action.
No charge for service, can’t beat that

Posts: 3288 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post