SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Need recommendation for an OTF knife
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need recommendation for an OTF knife Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
Years ago, I wanted a Microtech until a good friend of mine had trouble getting warranty work on two of his knives. The only thing he ever did with them was take them out of his safe and deploy the blades to check them out. The practically new knives stopped working and Microtech would not repair them. I will check out Guardian Tactical since they are highly regarded here.

Microtech has calmed way down about their warranty stuff. It used to be that if they suspected you took the knife apart, they wouldn't warranty it. I believe that also extended to applying lube. They've backed off on that, and they now recommend that if the knife won't deploy or retract correctly to blow it out with compressed air, then fill the knife with Rem-Oil, drain the excess, blow it out with compressed air again, then let it sit upright overnight for it to fully drain. They still recommend against disassembly, but it no longer voids the warranty. You should have your friend get ahold of them again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
General question for the brain trust: Why are serrated (or partial serrated) knives so hard to find? It seems like they're widely available under $100 and then jump to about $400. Do they just sell faster or is there something "undesirable" about it?

Posts: 4176 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
General question for the brain trust: Why are serrated (or partial serrated) knives so hard to find? It seems like they're widely available under $100 and then jump to about $400. Do they just sell faster or is there something "undesirable" about it?

They are way harder to sharpen when compared to a non-serrated blade.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post