SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What are you carrying or totin' today ??
Page 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... 91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you carrying or totin' today ?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
quote:
Originally posted by PKFan:
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
I still operate on the 'rather have it and not need it than need and not have it' philosophy.

Michael

Did you refinish the scales on that 940 or are those aftermarket replacements?

I refinished them myself. I formulate coatings from time to time at my job and made some baking enamel (epoxy) coatings. You could do something similar with baked finished available at the big box stores or from Brownells. I also have firearms custom coated by W.E. Birdsong's and am sure they can do the same on knives: www.black-t.com

Michael

Very nice.

Posts: 698 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Northfield Wallstreet tonight
Smooth Autumn Gold Bone
1095 Steel Wharncliffe Blade

quote:
Originally posted by SVTNate:
Hobbs,

Your pup's face looks quite a bit like a Dogo Argentino.

My buddy has a Dogo. His face looks very similar to your dog's face, broader though, and with clipped ears.

Mason is a purebred and registered American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT). His bloodline is Colby. His pedigree goes all the back on both top and bottom with no crosses or outs, to when John Colby in Newburyport Massachusetts started breeding dogs in the late 1800's and when the first registries formed in America ... UKC in 1898 which registered the first "APBT" and the ADBA in 1909. The AKC even registered them for a short period in the very early 1900's before recognizing the AmStaff in 1936. Mason is nothing but down from the original APBTs that John Colby bred then ... same dogs and same Colby family throughout the decades and over a century. Because of line breeding like that, Mason looks very much like some of those original dogs.

That said, the dogs John Colby bred that were to become the APBT were originally dogs that immigrants brought over from Ireland and England, mostly into Boston, around the mid to end of the 19th century.

Now, could my Mason be a Dogo cousin? ... likely very distant but not out of the question. Where did the Irish and English dogs come from? Well, Ireland and England lay sole claim to them LOL ... BUT ... it's been said that the way way back foundation dogs were English White Terrier (now extinct) and Molosser (Mastiff) type dogs as well as one opinion that an old Spanish bulldog or two may be in the mix centuries ago. The Irish say they are also down from some Irish Blue Paul (terrier) dogs that are also now extinct.

Anyway, the Irish and the English pretty much have a lock on the terrier side of the American Pit Bull Terrier ... but MAYBE in the WAY back, Germany and Spain contributed the bulldog part. AND ... yes, MAYBE the Dogo and the APBT are tied together in one dog in the way back there somewhere Wink

EDIT: Disclaimer: I can't look at it from the Dogo perspective, because I'm not familiar with or studied the Dogo like I am and have, the APBT. I can only speculate.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
... okay, maybe it was a Scottish Blue Paul, not Irish, I stand corrected.
... and Mason

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Hobbs,

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
Good looking dog.

This is Funes de la Cocha, a famous Dogo Argentino that saved a boy by killing a mountain lion in Argentina, and the uncle of my friend's purebred Dogo from La Cocha kennels in Argentina.

They are fantastic dogs, very gentle and loyal to the family, fantastic guard dogs, will make short work of most any wildlife, but must be raised from birth around other dogs if you plan on having any. They can be very aggressive around other dogs. Great with kids, though.

The Dogo is fearless, powerful, and violent when it needs to be. At home, though, they're big clumsy lap dogs. They love human contact, and will lay down on your feet or lay next to you and press against you as close as they can. In open terrain, you don't need a leash. They are hunting dogs, and will run ahead while periodically coming back to check on the well being of their masters.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conspirator of Mopery
Picture of dbldwn11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
Today, it's the Hogue EX-03

For a company that doesn't make many knives, they sure got it right. I own several Hogues, love the blade design.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: March 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Opinel No.6 Rosewood

Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Today, quick dinner.

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
After almost 50 years, I'm quiting cigs
Innokin Endura T18
Innokin uCan v2.0 dispenser
Mercator Solingen Black Cat

Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Read all about it. Northwoods Slim Jack Today

That Northwoods is so money, and it doesn't even know it!

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
I picked this one up a month or two ago..
1940-64 pen knife 62042
Honest wear...but blades are pretty full and snap good

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2906 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Piked up one of these Milwaukee 48-22-1990 from Home Depot several months ago and am well pleased with it.

Posts: 4403 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
Old MT Manus

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
After almost 50 years, I'm quiting cigs
Innokin Endura T18
Innokin uCan v2.0 dispenser
Mercator Solingen Black Cat

I was a compulsive smoker for 26 years. Smoked 2 PAD for about 20 of those years. I tried Chantix, Wellbutrin, gum, patches and even hypnosis in my efforts to quit but never was successful. In 2014, my doctor said I had the lungs of a 76 year old even though I was only 40 at the time.

Today, I am smoke free for one year thanks to vaping and I'm feeling much better. Vaping is the only thing that worked. I vape on a Derringer RDA at home and a Nautilus tank at work.

Glad to see you are quitting too! Vape on while you still can before the lowlife politicians ruin it.

Been carrying a Chris Reeve Umnumzaan for the past few weeks. Got a Benchmade 3551 Mel Pardue auto on the way.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 3551 came today. Good size for carry. Also a Sigelei 75 watt mod and Aspire Cleito tank. Homebrew RY4 juice.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
ZT560BW still razor sharp from my Ken Onion Blade grinder along with a product placement for my Molon Labe ring from David.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19576 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post

Broke my spyderco today cutting a trail in Costa Rica...

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post
wreckdiverjosh, sorry about your Tenacious Frown
I hope he was not the only knife in the campaign? Wink
Today's my fish (smoked mackerel) :

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
This week it's the BenchMade 810 Contego for me.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19576 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post