SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    What are you carrying or totin' today ??
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 91
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you carrying or totin' today ?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Try destressing the edge. I move the medium grit, at a flat 90 degrees to the edge. Light to moderate pressure. I sweep from the base of the edge on that 90° to the tip. Using a gentle forward motion sweeping the whole of the stone. If you have a supper flexible burr you may need to do the medium grit passes from each side to get it to snap/polish off. Refine this DE stress with the finer grit stone. From there go ahead and reprofiled on side till you developed a slight burr. Proceed to the second side till you get a slight burr. Chang up to the other stones. A couple of dozen swipes per side light to moderate pressure per grit level. If the edge still has a floppy burr after this then either the temper sucks, or the angle you are polishing is to shallow for the steel.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of pleasantly surprised by so many "non-tactical" knives.
Today is a benchmade 530 nice and slim in the pocket.
I swap between about six different bench mades and also a handy little blade tech

Posts: 3292 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
Knife for today is a Koenig Atrox Auto:

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
venturing to John Marshall High School area. Haven't been there in over 20 years. Totin' my usual. Glock 21 with one spare mag on belt and a Glock 33 in jacket pocket.

Forgot my knife today. It's a small CRKT folder I got for $7 from woot. Seems I break or lose expensive knives but this $7 knife has been with me for over a year now.

I do keep an old HK Ally knife in the car. It's pretty beat up and I broke the tip.

I also have a Cold Steel tanto in my bag in the trunk but I don't carry it.

I am researching which OTF knife I want to use as my daily carry. The HK otf knives are expensive!

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ermagherd,
10 Mirrimerter!
Picture of ElKabong
posted Hide Post
Bought these two here on SF Classifieds, arrived yesterday.

2012 BladeForums Kershaw Skyline in S30V

Spyderco Citadel 83mm Auto , initial impression is good, carried it today.
Little chunky, but a super nice knife.

I quit school in elementary because of recess.......too many games
--Riff Raff--

Posts: 2918 | Location: WV | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My GEC #77.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mekaus:
My GEC #77.

I have been eyeing a 77 for a few weeks now

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I snagged one during the last run.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Auxiliaryjohn
posted Hide Post
IF it gets too CHUNKY for you, just give me a call and I'll be glad to take it off your hands. It would be a nice addition to my 92mm. Wink
BTW...NICE snag Buddy.

quote:
Originally posted by ElKabong:
Bought these two here on SF Classifieds, arrived yesterday.

2012 BladeForums Kershaw Skyline in S30V

Spyderco Citadel 83mm Auto , initial impression is good, carried it today.
Little chunky, but a super nice knife.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you **** with me, I'll kill you all.
US Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Posts: 2262 | Location: Dothan, AL | Registered: August 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
One of the best Barlows made today mekaus. NICE !!!

Posts: 4703 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
One of the best Barlows made today mekaus. NICE !!!

Thank you. It was perfect out of the tube. I've just cut a couple apples and it's already getting a nice patina.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4703 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I finally got a good edge on this A. Wright & Son Barlow. Old Lansky sharpening set and impatience had more to do with it than anything. Carrying this one today.

DSgrouse, I finally heard back from my email inquiry concerning this knife.

"A. Wright & Son is a small Sheffield company who only manufacturer the knives and specialty instruments. They do not come with any paper work, or make their own box, and never have. Their quality and tang stamp are their trademark. They do not sell direct to the public, even in Sheffield, and the higher end retailers will place their knives in their own box. In the traditional English thought process, it translate to, "If you want to purchase another, you look at the name on the box and know where to go" philosophy.

We stock the full line of Wright knives because they are the makers of our Wood carving knives. These knives are only sold by us and have their tang stamp on the blades.

You can visit their web site and see their shop and video on their knife making process. The Sheffield Made store in Sheffield manages their site."

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Queen q-tac

posted Hide Post
Dan wesson guardian in 45acp, 1935 esterbrook, victorinox officer's automatic, queen cutlery q-tac, queen cutlery Joe Pardue

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
DSgrouse, what is Queen calling that Joe Pardue blade? My guess is sheepfoot but it isn't a true sheepfoot because the cutting edge and top of blade aren't parallel. It isn't a lambfoot either because the tip is broader than the tang, not the other way around as a lambfoot would be. Not a warncliffe either.

Technically, maybe it's a custom Joe Pardue sheepfoot/lambfoot mod ... dunno. I see lots of straight edge blades these days with mods to the classic sheepfoot, lambfoot, warncliffe profile.

Don't get me wrong, AWESOME knives ... just the descriptive "vernacular" is sometimes confusing Lol.

posted Hide Post
They call it a cotton sampler.

Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
They call it a cotton sampler.

Ah HA !!! ... well, that's even a different blade shape than the "cotton sampler" blade I'm used to seeing Lol (bottom left column in pic below). The one I know as a cotton sampler has a broad curved belly, not a straight edge ... and has like an unsharpened tang extension (area in front of the tang before the curved sharpened part of the blade) wherewith a cotton buyer might use that area for rolling the cotton fiber around on with his thumb for examination. Cotton buyers were able to determine something concerning cotton bale quality from this test as I understand it.

Still looks to me to be more of a modified sheepfoot/lambfoot than a cotton sampler.

Like I said, AWESOME knife DSgrouse. I just find it interesting as knife/blade patterns are modified and evolve.

posted Hide Post
I think it is named that way simply because the blade is wide enough to roll your thumb on to see if the cotton fibers will knit and twist together.