SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Sharpening "Super" Steels - "Razor Sharp?"
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sharpening "Super" Steels - "Razor Sharp?" Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
"Razor sharp" How many times have we heard that? I've said it in the past!

Posted this before. http://knifegrinders.com.au/Ma.../Sharpness_Chart.pdf Feel it's a good gauge along with the Rizla paper. I shave with the Feathers DE razors, have them on hand. Can I get an edge "razor sharp", match the edge of a Feathers razor? Couldn't quite get there with this Maxamet steel simple edge, see a slight bit of tearing. If I went up a stone in grit and a finer strop or two, no problem getting there. It's plenty sharp for a working edge!

http://knifegrinders.com.au/Ma.../Sharpness_Chart.pdf

Posts: 3067 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Maxamet sharpened to a mirror edge on my TSPROF Kadet.
Having been a high relief woodcarver for years knowing how to sharpen a tool to a razors edge is absolutely necessary.
But free hand stone sharpening when you’ve realized your knife collection has grown to 30-40+ knives I realized it was time to move into a faster guided sharpening system.
Something much more usable than the Lansky kit I had.
Also most of my knives are now moving into 20CV , M390, M4 & CPM-D2 range , hand sharpening can be a real pain.

The Kadet is an amazing setup.
The ability to set an exact repeatable angle is a game changer for me.
The re-zero ability between stones accounting for variances in stone thickness again is a game changer for achieving a consistent edge angle.
I keep a Sharpening log so I know what angle I’ve put on each blade when it comes time to resharpen.

I use diamond stones to set the new angle on a knife before starting up through the non-diamond stones & into the kangaroo leather strop blanks with diamond emulsions.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6587 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya, the TSProf is a game changer. How precisely it can control the angle, how flexible it is clamping different knife length. It was a fair step up from using an Edge Pro for a many years. I too have sharpened lots of woodworking tools, chisels, block plane knives... using a Veritas jig or a friends Tormek. Never bought into the romantic notion of free hand Big Grin

What progression of diamond/non-diamond stones, strop/grits did you use?

I've sharpened several tanto blades on the TSProf. Able to keep the transition from belly to tip very defined and crisp. Simply clamp the blade to sharpen the belly, go through your progression, re-clamp just the tip. The clamp strength/pressure will easily hold the blade when just sharpening the tip. Perfect for your PM2 Tanto!

Cool thing about having a sharpener like this is trying different angles. Been my experience with most of these steel can sharpen 28-34 degrees and the edge hold up very well. Ya, that's right 28 degrees! One of my EDC in S110V is at 30 degrees, holds up well. Maxamet does great at 34 degrees. Obviously not stabbing steel drum lids or car roofs with it! Some good info on Knifesteelnerds regarding different angles, effect on edge retention and toughness.

For Kangaroo strops I lower the angle to 1.75 degrees per side from the stone angle. I've experimented from 1.5-2.5. 1.75 works well for me with the pressure I put on it YMMV. I've gone backwards on the edge figuring that out! Simply go back to the last stone.

Got some Rizla papers? I find it to be good gauge. Get an edge to cross-cut... insanely sharp. And the Rizla paper keeps the hair on my arms! Using the Rizla you'll see differences with the same steel from different manufacturers, using the same stone/grit progression. For example ZT does an excellent job with their heat treating on 35V, surpasses other steels from other manufacturers that should be better.

Have fun!

Posts: 3067 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I use an Edge Pro Fine diamond mounted stone to set the edge angle.

Then progress from 120, 220, 600, 1000, 2000 & then move to my 4 Kangaroo mounted Strops.

I use Gunny Juice 3 micron , 1 micron , 0.5 micron and finish with 0.1 micron.

FYI - for anyone thinking of getting a TSProf Kadet.

Order the center clamp as well (not included) if you will be working on anything 3.5” and under.
It helps ensure a consistent edge profile vs offsetting the two clamps to o e side or the other.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6587 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
FYI - for anyone thinking of getting a TSProf Kadet.

Order the center clamp as well (not included) if you will be working on anything 3.5” and under.
It helps ensure a consistent edge profile vs offsetting the two clamps to o e side or the other.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
You guys have talked me into this knife sharping system.
What is the main difference in models?
I'm not interested in the small portable system.
KO3 or Kadet expert?

Posts: 3829 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://statesllc.com/products...let-clamp-gen-3-only

Have this style double clamps. Work perfect, very consistent edge heel to tip. This style clamp does take a little time to adjust as does the single clamp. Use the single clamp when can’t use the double. Some of the knives picture in this thread we’re sharpened with double clamps.

Bought my k02 from Statesllc. George the owner good guy to deal with, positive experience.

posted Hide Post
Grumpybiker,

is the reveal change on both sides or one side?

Not uncommon for me not to have the blade centered on the clamp, clamps. If so, usually simply move the tip in to keep a consistent reveal. PM2’s I never center due the aggressive distal taper, clamp very close to the pivot to get a solid clamp on the blade. Knife you pictured next to the TSprof I would clamp it up against the thumb stud because of the more flat.

posted Hide Post
PM2 clamped, it ain't moving! Angle on both sides are dead nuts. Scratched a witness mark on the stone holder. Simply swing/pivot the holder to adjust the blade in the clamp for a consistent reveal, very easy. Also put the tip of the blade a little closer to the bar to keep the reveal the same due to the tip being thinner behind the edge.

armored, I have an older K02. Very happy with the results I get. No experience with the K03 or Kadet. Know a couple people with the K03 and they both speak highly of the rack and pinon elevation, how smooth and precise it moves. Just by watching a couple videos of the Kadet I would buy a K03 because of how rigid and stationary the clamp bar. I like the idea mechanically having the pivot move the angle vs the clamp bar. The rotation mechanism on the K02 is very solid, same mechanism on the K03. The mechanism is on indent ball bearings, it's a smart idea. I just had to take it apart to see how it worked! The tension on the rotation can be quickly adjusted to vary the tension. With stones have it fairly stiff, switch to strops much looser because of the very little pressure I put on the strop, very fast and effortless to rotate the clamp bar. Hope that helps.

I have a angle cube like Grumybiker. It too has two decimal points. If I were to buy again, get a cube with only one decimal point. Early on using it I fretted a bit too much chasing that 2nd point! Interesting very few factory edges are ground to the exact degree on both sides, some are waaaay off. US Spyderco's do a good job, ZT and Kershaw have been some of the worse.

Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
You guys have talked me into this knife sharping system.
What is the main difference in models?
I'm not interested in the small portable system.
KO3 or Kadet expert?

My friend & professional (business) sharpener bought the K03 after not liking the base movement he got while sharpening kitchen knives on the Kadet he had.
The larger base of the K03 stopped that .
I decided that I would add a larger removable base to my Kadet as I travel in the motorhome and portability was important so didn’t want the larger model.

This is my solution and it resulted in one hand sharpening with zero base movement. I also added 2mil adhesive backed foam to the entire bottom of the base.
$4 each for the clamps, $2 for the foam sheet & plywood was scrap. So an inexpensive alteration.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GrumpyBiker,

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%