SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Do you carry two knives?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you carry two knives? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I do like a one hand operable available on each side. Typically these are social knives. Then for utility, when both hands are available, I'll pull a medium stockman out. Are three too many?

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I carry a Swiss Army knife "Tinker" in my left front pocket, and a CRKT M-16 Tanto in my right front pocket.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I frequently carry two. If someone asks to borrow one, I always ask what for. Mine are not screwdrivers.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10894 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Hogue EX-01 in my right front pocket. I also carry a Bark River Mini Canadian on my belt and a Battlehorse neck knife under my shirt.

Posts: 102 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzzleloader:
I do like a one hand operable available on each side. Typically these are social knives. Then for utility, when both hands are available, I'll pull a medium stockman out. Are three too many?

I carry three, so don't think so...

(Who said, "always carry a knife, in case there's cheesecake or you have to stab someone in the throat"? Wink )

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I carry a Leatherman Wingman and a Benchmade 940. For work I swap the Benchmade to a CRKT M16 and also carry a cheapo box cutter.

Posts: 9942 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Today spyderco PM2 and fallkniven gentlemans pocket knife

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two. One is a Kershaw working assisted opened with a cheap finish, but is very sharp. The other is a large Pro Tec auto, different pocket, different mission.

Posts: 17115 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just one, unless I'm camping/backpacking/bushcrafting then it's a large fixed blade, a small folder, and a hatchet or small axe.

For EDC, the one knife changes with the mission. Backup to a CCW, then it's a left handed deployable Kershaw Emerson knockoff. In a suit, then it's a ZT 0770CF tip down in the inside breast pocket. No gun, big stabby knife is a Benchmade 808 Loco. Medium slicey is a Spyderco Pm2, and my default for restricted length counties is a Benchmade Mini-Grip.

I've got a pair of Swiss army knives for when I can't carry a locking knife (sneak into theme parks, int'l travel) and a Leatherman Charge To for when I'm feeling handy (usually when I'm showing houses).

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
I frequently carry two. If someone asks to borrow one, I always ask what for. Mine are not screwdrivers.

So true. Bubba is out there everywhere.

"The days are stacked against what we think we are." Jim Harrison

Posts: 1115 | Location: Ann Arbor | Registered: September 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
No, just 1. But I see why some people could carry multiple.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I have 3 on me most of the time. The Emerson for SD, a Kershaw that I generally use for opening boxes and an old Gerber that I use to strip wire.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6474 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
2 all the time.

A folder that I can get to easily and quickly that is my primary blade
A SAK that is primarily for tools

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
Carry a Zero Tolerance 0300 for SD, and a Benchmade McHenry and Williams for all other purposes.
The ZT has never been used, but sees a lot of travel!

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I always carry a small Victorinox Classic, no matter what I'm wearing, in my left front pocket. I use the little scissors on it more than any device I ever carry. Plus, I carry a larger (ZT 0770CF, Griptilian, etc.) clipped in my right front pocket.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I aways carry two cheap ($40ish) OTF knives. One on each side in case one arm is tied up. Primary purpose was general defense after an incident where I couldn’t get a folder open to cut someone but I mainly use them as everyday knives. Opening mail. Cutting open boxes. Picking doors. Etc. I don’t buy expensive knives since I abuse them. My most expensive knife sits on my desk.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
No, unless I am in the woods, when I might carry a fixed blade and some small folder.

I usually carry some small knife when I am work - usually something with a blade under 3". I don't carry them clipped - I work in an office and that wouldn't be the right appearance.

I don't think of knives for self defense. I mean, as a last ditch, I guess anything is usable, but I really don't want to be in a knife fight.

If I were honest, I'd be like Tooky13, and carry a SAK more, because those little scissors are awfully handy. But I usually like to carry something a little more sexy and with a little more knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry a Spyderco Ladybug on my key ring in my left front pocket and a Benchmade 705 in my right front pocket. However I'm currently carrying a Benchmade 750 in that pocket until I get around to re-profiling the edge on the 705.

Posts: 690 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I usually carry two, one for everyday tasks, and one for "social emergencies".

Posts: 13666 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Let me ask the people who carry a knife for defense this question:

Everyone seems to carry a knife with a refined, very sharp edge for this purpose, and reserves a "beater" for use in opening boxes, cutting apples, paring fingernails, etc. Why? It seems that the actual cutting tool is the one you want to be very sharp. A fighter doesn't need to be like a razor. It will be used with some force, and anything reasonably sharp should be plenty sharp enough. Hell, it may be mostly a stabbing implement, and not do much slashing, in which case super sharpness would seem even less critical. In short, why isn't fairly sharp sharp enough for a fighter? Save the scalpel for the actual cutting tasks.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post