SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Poll: Which fixed blade would you choose to be your one and only?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poll: Which fixed blade would you choose to be your one and only? Login/Join 
Picture of elberettas
posted
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing some spring cleaning and have come to the conclusion that I really only need one fixed blade knife. I have never actually used any of these. I just wanted to have a good fixed blade in case I ever needed it.

Question:
Which fixed blade would you choose to be your one and only?

Choices:
Cold Steel SRK
ESEE 4
Gerber Strongarm

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with Esee 4, I've owned multiple Esee in the past and their warranty combined with Rowen being their maker is tops in the mainstream factory knife world. At least from what I've seen. Wink

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If the Esee was made with the Gerber handle it would be perfect.
I really like ESEE's blade profiles and steel but their grips leave a lot to be desired. I know TKC makes better scales but that's another $50 on top of an already pricey knife and still doesn't really fix the problem.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Esee 4, due to aftermarket and ease of mounting it aside from on a belt. Saying that, I have one, and honestly I am soured on blades with a finger choil. I prefer the handle to end where it should, have some level of finger guard, and the blade to start where it should.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I voted for the ESEE 4, but only for its reputation as a quality knife. I like the size and shape of the Cold Steel SRK. It looks a lot like my Fallkniven S1 which would be my choice if I paired my knives down to 1.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What steel do you have on the SRK? If it's 3V then I'd definitely go with that. Otherwise the ESEE.

Posts: 12 | Location: Chesterland, Ohio | Registered: March 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Esee 4, due to aftermarket and ease of mounting it aside from on a belt. Saying that, I have one, and honestly I am soured on blades with a finger choil. I prefer the handle to end where it should, have some level of finger guard, and the blade to start where it should.

This, 100%. This is going to seem silly, but if it didn’t have the choil, it wouldn’t need the choil. Let me “choke up” on the blade with the handle, safely. I’ve started using my Cold Steel Master Hunter more than my ESEE 3 for this reason, though I prefer the 3’s blade and sheath system. For this reason, in the OP’s scenario, I’d consider the SRK over the ESEE 4.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WKirk:
What steel do you have on the SRK? If it's 3V then I'd definitely go with that. Otherwise the ESEE.

SK-5.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an older US made SRK and a s35v stainless esee 4. I don’t have a Gerber but it is made in USA. But I do have plenty of fixed blades but I use my esee 4 a lot. Voted esee.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That would be hard choice for me since I have a weekday and weekend answer for that.

Weekdays I have a White River Backpacker Pro that has mostly replace my Izula. A box opener and cutter that gets the most usage time of any knives for me.
I need something that can fit in my pocket.

Then there is the outdoors and yard work version that is an Esee 6 or Gerber pilot knife, depending on my cutting needs that day.

Posts: 9509 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post