SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Recommend a daily carry knife that fits in jean watch pocket** Kershaw Scallion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a daily carry knife that fits in jean watch pocket** Kershaw Scallion Login/Join 
posted
I have never carried a EDC knife (yea I know). I would like a smaller sized folder with a belt clip that will fit in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans.

$75 would be my max budget. USA made would be preferred. I like serrated blades over plain but its not a deal breaker.

Any recommendations?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gpbst3,

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Dragonfly or Ladybug might work. Serrated available and $67 on the Spyderco website I have not tried them in a watch pocket but they are pretty small and very good EDC knives for what they are. I mean they cut stuff but you wouldn't want to get in a knife fight with it. Or at all......

Edited to add - actually under $50 at BladeHQ

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not US made, but made for the US army :-)

Posts: 48 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Kershaw Chive

This message has been edited. Last edited by: h2oys,

Posts: 3723 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Chive is the first thing that popped to mind for me as well but I don't care for assisted opening knives.

I think the Spyderco Lil' Native may fit the bill.
-American made
-Small enough to fit in ANY pocket
-Good steel
-G10
-Unobtrusive
-Great clip
-Smooth but non assisted action

The Dragonfly and "bugs" are not made in America IIRC. They are NOT China knives but not U.S. made. The Dragonfly and Chaparral are a GREAT small knives as well if you are ok with Japan and Taiwan as point of manufacture.

Lil' Native

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I gave one of these to friend that wears jeans, he carries it in the watch pocket. It's a Roadie, 2" blade, made in Italy, no clip, though. Here's mine:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Dragonfly. Or a Swiss army knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I keep a Victorinox ALOX in the little watch pocket. you don't need a clip if kept in there.

https://cutleryshoppe.com/vict...ox-handle-0-8150-26/

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
Kershaw Chive

That would be my recommendation. I have a blue/black. It's my dress knife Smile

It's small enough you can bury it entirely in a jeans watch pocket.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Some great suggestions so far...

Spyderco Dragonfly comes in plain edge or serrated, and its serrations are very aggressive. As cslinger noted, it's made in Japan.

Spyderco Ladybug & Manbug - no clip

SAK - no clip, most models do not have serrated knives

Kershaw Chive & Scallion - the versions w/ fiberglass reinforced nylon scales have half-serrated blade options. The variants w/ steel or anodized aluminum scales are considerably thinner and more streamlined but I don't believe serrations are an option. Made in USA.

I checked some of my pants w/ watch pockets. Some of them are deep enough to comfortably carry a 3" blade. That opens up options a lot.

Kershaw Leek is the next size up from above. Unlike the two previously mentioned, most of the metal scale variants of the Leek come in plain or half-serrated. Also made in USA.

Spyderco Delica 4 - is slightly under 3" blade, has trademark Spyderco serrations but made in Japan

The Lil' Native cslinger suggested also comes in full serrated blade option, but I doubt you can buy either for close to $75.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Spyderco Dragonfly 2 is available serrated. I carry a plain edge version. Lil Native is USA made but twice your budget.

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Apologies I glanced right over budget.

If you can give up the made in the USA but accept made in a first world nation the Dragonfly is a GREAT tiny knife. You won’t even know it’s there yet it’s plenty capable for all the normal stuff you likely use a knife for. I mean it’s not a pry a door open knife but packages, food, cordage, etc etc etc. it’s just a great little knife.

I know the Delica was mentioned above and it’s probably my favorite all around knife or at least way up on my list but IMO it’s too big for watch pockets.

The Chive probably comes closest to your price/manufacture location/quality/availability and general size. It’s also a great knife but for me personally as mentioned above I don’t care for assisted openers and IIRC you must carry tip down not tip up like God intended. Smile

These are my small fit in the watch pocket knives. By FAR the Dragonfly is the most unobtrusive/light weight etc. Pretty sure the Scallion is close to the Chive.

Scallion, Lil' Native, Chaparral, Dragonfly

Scallion, Lil' Native, Chaparral, Dragonfly

Blade open they are sized roughly Chaparral, Scallion, Lil' Native and Dragonfly.

For me, personally, my sweet spot in knives is the 3 inch blade (2.8-3 inch area), that said I do occasionally carry the smaller ones and if I had to pick one it would be a toss up between the Chaparral and the Dragonfly.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.bokerusa.com/pocke...ives/keychain-knives

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Ok that little DW2 is PRECIOUS!!! Big Grin

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Not USA made but the CRKT Squid is an excellent small knife that would fit in a jean watch pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/CRKT-Sq...i%2Caps%2C246&sr=8-2

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spyderco C61P

"All warfare is based on deception" Sun Tzu, The art of War

Posts: 552 | Location: Gulf Coast of SW Florida | Registered: August 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
This is my EDC. It's made in China, but designed and sold by Kershaw, and is pretty excellent quality for the money. Light yet durable, easy one-handed operation, and easy to keep wicked sharp. Also I don't cry if I lose it and have to replace it, unlike some others from my past. On sale right now for $25 from Kershaw guy...I couldn't pass it up and bought a spare:

https://kershawguy.com/product...clash-assisted-1605/

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kalei:
Spyderco C61P

Do people bother to read the OP anymore? Roll Eyes

The Spyderco Pegasus has been out of production for over 20 years. If you could find one now, it'd cost at least 2-3X the OP's target price.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Picked up a few Kershaw Crown II when the LGS had them on clearance, $15 a pop, fits right in the pocket watch or clipped into the pocket. yeah Chinese, but at $15, they have held up well, keep one in the office, bathroom, bike, truck...

https://www.kershaw-knives.net...aw-Crown-II-3150.php

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Chive.
I've got a scale-less model that I carry in shorts/slacks.

Scallion is my EDC in jeans, but it's a bit longer/thicker due to the scales.

Both have a lock that prevents opening. I have both of mine tightened to not have it inadvertently lock in my pocket.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post