SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
A sweet paring knife and a Chinese cleaver would be awesome.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17236 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i do plan on doing some paring knives. the mrs. has been after me for years to make her some.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3514 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
well, i have a smaller santoku in the works now. started it yesterday. will post some pics when i get it a bit more knife shaped and cleaned up. i picked up some nice dyed maple for the handle. this one is AEB-L stainless. just a straight forward design. i will do some more stylized models as i get more comfortable with making this style of knife. i have plans to do several different styles and models before too long.

dozer

Posts: 3514 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I LOVE making Santokus!! They are a really cool style⚔️⚔️
Can’t wait to see!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, my pop just informed me that he has a friend who can get some nice steel for me. san mai with japanese white 3 core. not really up on japanese steels, but according to everyone i talk to, this will be monster steel for kitchen cutlery. best of all, i can get it for a very nice price. he is a retired maker and just trying to move old stock. gotta love the old pops. he always comes through for me. he seems to be the kind of guy who knows everybody and has tons of connections.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
just about to start in on the handle of my santoku. i have done traditional chef knives before, but this is a bit different. i used my thinnest AEB-L stainless. 1/8th inch thickness, i believe. i finished it with a simple satin buff polish. handle is double dyed maple. it should look very nice. pics to follow soon.

dozer

posted Hide Post
A good chefs knife. 8 or 10 inch, with a nice weight to it.
A super sharp paring knife.

I do about 90% of my work with these two blades.

My wife uses a Santoku a lot.

Handles? I like wood, but for some reason, your blades... Id go with micarta. I think it fits your style of blades.

Don’t count out a matching set of steak knives... I think they’d sell around here!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
that sounds right in line with what i am heading into. i am very interested in making some of the more japanese inspired designs. things are falling into place. i have some excellent steels coming in. i have even bought a ton of new, specialized belts for grinding these beauties. i am excited about working with new designs. here is a little sneak peak. the handle is shaped and now i am sanding until my fingers bleed. so good, so far.

dozer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dozer,

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
ok, now i have some decent shots of the finished santoku. AEB-L stainless with a buffed satin finish, hard to get good shots without glare. i have some nice new belts from phoenix abrasives that give it an almost machined finish look. not sure if i like it or not yet. don't want it to look too much like a factory blade, ya know. handle is stabilized double dyed maple burl. just a straight forward design for this one. i may get a bit more creative going forward.

dozer

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I like it!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, i was just gifted a new project today. it is an ancient kitchen knife that a friend found in an old house he is restoring. it is the largest butcher knife i have ever seen. it is rusted and pitted and the handle is long gone. i am going to re-profile it into a nice chef knife and leave the weathered finish, if possible. it will have more of our signature look, for sure. it is rather thin, so it will be a monster slicer when done.

dozer

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun! Be sure to do before and after photos.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I REALLY like the finish on that beautiful blade. What belt?

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks, sybo, i can't remember the name of these belts. it is a nice finishing belt he(phoenix abrasives) recommended to me on instagram. they are blue with a nice, padded backing to the belt. gives a very nice, even finish with little effort. that is important when you get into those fine grit belts. i tried a few different grits on a whim and they are really easy to use and get a nice finish.

dozer

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
sorry, i forgot to grab a pic before i got started. was in a hurry to see how this one would look when profiled. i did snap a shot of the trimmings. you can see this was a monster kitchen knife. never seen one this size. i am undecided on whether to leave a straight tip or a slight drop point for this one. you can see the lines i have drawn on the blank for making it a drop point blade. what does everyone think? straight blade or drop it?

dozer

posted Hide Post
Just my opinion and others Im sure will disagree but I think that blade has WAY too much sweep. If you rocker cut you'll wear out your arm having to lift it higher due to the major sweep. Those profiles wouldn't work for me. But thats just me, I'm sure somebody will tell me why I'm completely wrong. ;-)

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i was wondering about that myself. that is what i prefer, but i am a weirdo with a blade. maybe i should straighten it a bit for general use. what say the jury?

dozer

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Drop the tip and less sweep. You have a butcher's slicer, not a chef's chopper and utility.

I would also drop the heel down straight from the tang. I find that with my technique, one of the places I am most likely to catch a finger is with the heel of the knife. I certainly wouldn't want the heel extended further to the rear.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12740 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Just my opinion but that blade has WAY too much sweep. If you rocker cut you'll wear out your arm having to lift it higher due to the major sweep. Those profiles wouldn't work for me.

This +1

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
good stuff, i will tweak the profile in the morning. thanks for the input.

dozer