SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kitchen Cutlery-Liontribe Designs-New Pics Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted
i am about to start working on some custom kitchen blades. i have done the odd piece from time to time, but we are about to start dedicating a large part of our efforts toward custom kitchen designs. what are some specific styles you guys would like to see?

dozer

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dozer,

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3514 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My favorites (from Shun) are the 10" chef's knife and the tomato knife.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Santoku?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16250 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Mike. A 10”chef knife and paring knives is what I’d want.

Can’t wait to order some from you. Keep me posted!

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Ulu. Never knew how much I needed one until I bought one.

Chef’s knife.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
thanks for the feedback. i am gonna make a list of the most popular suggestions. we should have some designs coming before the end of summer. we are excited about working on all the new designs.

dozer

Posts: 3514 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m covered on kitchen/prep knives. The one thing I do not have is a nice set of steak knives.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i think i will do the first batch in AEB-L stainless. very popular steel for custom kitchen knives. i may then branch out to more exotic carbon steel or damascus models.

dozer

posted Hide Post
A good cleaver is something I don't have and would be tempted to buy.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
There is very little you can't do with a 8" Chef Knife & Paring knife. Throw in a 8" bread knife and you are good to go for %99 of kitchen needs.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Maybe a Santoku?

This! But you know that already.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i do believe the first two models will be a santoku and a large chef's knife. i am working on the profile of the santoku right now. i want it to be traditional but have our Liontribe style accents. we are excited to be branching out in new directions.

dozer

Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
There is very little you can't do with a 8" Chef Knife & Paring knife. Throw in a 8" bread knife and you are good to go for %99 of kitchen needs.

Another vote for 8" Chef style, my 8" Shun does 99% of my basic chores

Posts: 3536 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The course I took taught 3 knifes for 95% of kitchen work. An 8-10" chef preferably a 10" since it's easier to make control contact with the cutting board. A Paring knife for all small detail cuts etc. and a 240-270mm serrated knife like the Tojiro 270mm.

The serrated knife isn't just for bread. It's for sectioning out Butternut Squash, Melons etc etc. A really good serrated knife can be a revelation! Your basic straight bread knife is just that, for just bread.

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your basic straight bread knife is just that, for just bread.

I worked in a Bar / Grill out of school. We had off set bread knife for cutting subs. I got where I was damn near a wizard with that knife. I actually preferred it to a chef knife for %99 of things. Except for maybe doing large volume of prep with meat.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8835 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i have a batch of very nice stainless on the way for the first batch of 8" chef knives and santoku style knives. i am leaning toward stabilized wood for the handles, any suggestions for handle materials?

dozer

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Koa wood or curly maple.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Ironwood and second vote for curly maple

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
sounds good, i will be talking with my vendors and come up with some nice pieces.

dozer

posted Hide Post
I could use a set of basic culinary for my daughters course - 8" Chef, 5.5" Utility, and 3.5" paring knife.

Posts: 1745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post