SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have experience with lawn care systems?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with lawn care systems? Login/Join 
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Do your research if you have pets you allow to roam in the areas you are going to treat.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I had True Green for about a year. They were very ineffective at killing weeds, and I think over-fertilized a large area on either side of my house, causing "burns."

I canceled them this spring and am trying a local company a co-worker uses.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm a fertilizing business owner. I'm my only employee. I have 87 customers so far that get between 3 and 5 treatments per year. I have theories about the larger companies but I'm not going to be negative. You've all heard the stories. I personally know every one of my customers and they're always happy to see me. It's more than just a job for me. It's pride in my work and service for my customers. I enjoy it and I always give more than expected.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
TruGreen does wonders short-term (i.e. initial cost/benefit is great but after lawn comes up to snuff then cost/benefit goes down), but they will hound you for the rest of your life.

I had TruGreen for a year. Had a different guy come out every time with a different opinion on what needed to be done. One guy told me I needed more of "XX" and proceeded to tell me to call the office and ask for it.

Wife called the office and asked about getting "YY", who said yes it will be done; never happened.

There is no communication between the office and the field workers.

The office just tells you what you want to hear.

After the initial paid year, told them to pound sand. Still get numerous phone calls and mailings. You are right, they "hound you for the rest of your life".

Using a local company now.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have always done my own. Quite a few years ago I picked up this Lesco guide/chart for what numbers to use and when and on what grasses. Its been really helpful to apply the right numbers at the right times of the year.

Most brands offer similar guides but I have found them to be brand specific and not as helpful with the fert numbers. By using this chart I can use other brands with the same numbers if need be. Brands that Lowes or HomeDepo carry can change but the guide stays helpful.

I also apply pre-emergents several times a year per my areas recommendations.

Locally we have expert Neil Sperry for anything garden or yard related.

While ferts and pre-emerg are just part of it. Proper watering and mowing are just as important.

My mother-in-law used Tru-Green for 20-30 years. She also had lake water and a sprinkler system.
She did her own mowing until she got so old she cold no longer do it and had the thickest/best yard of full St. Augustine around. Then she cold no longer do her own mowing and her yard man kept it scalped. Did take very long for it to go to complete shit.

I also hate yard mowing services as I feel they bring in crap from everyone else shitty yards.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I use Lawn Doctor and am happy with them. They come 6 times a season; early spring service, late spring service, early summer service, late summer service, early fall service, late fall service and each visit is around 40 bucks plus tax for me. It’s worth it as I have very little free time with little kids and a pregnant wife plus I’m convinced I was born with a black thumb, not a green thumb. I can’t get anything to grow worth a crap whether it be grass or a garden.

Things like lime and grub treatment are extras and optional. They just came today actually for the late spring service and I had them do lime and grub treatment too as I think I may have grubs as something keeps coming out at night and digging in my lawn.

They like to push the power seeding service but I’m going to pass on that from now on, I had them do it last fall and I watered like crazy and didn’t really see the results they promised.

You can definitely tell their service works as far as weed control as if you look at my neighbor to the right, he’s got weeds and clover here and there and the neighbor to my left, her lawn is a sea of clover and weeds and garbage but mine is totally clear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PASig,

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I just bought my first real house (keeping up with the Joneses) . All the neighbors have proper manicured St Augustine, and the previous owner left me dead grass, weeds, and a broken sprinkler system that cant water the grass.

Getting a well put in ($3500) a sprinkler system ($$$$), new St Augustine sod ($$$$) and reading a ton on do it yourself. I might hire a crew to do it the weed spraying and fertilizer the first year, but its something I want to learn and get proficient with.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I have 2.5 acres. Do it myself and enjoy it. One day I had one of the major lawn care services come up the driveway. He introduced himself and went into his pitch. In our area dandelions are the biggest headache. So he's going on and on about dandelion control and I finally asked him how many dandelions do you see? He was looking and finally realized none. Finally left. Anyhow I had a friend with a LCB and learned alot from him. I too am a fan of chemicals. Amine 24-D is one of the best things ever for weed control. Been using it for over 40 years and haven't grow a 3rd eye. Other chemicals for other issues.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post