SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone have experience with lawn care systems?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have experience with lawn care systems? Login/Join 
in the end karma
always catches up
posted
I have no green thumb and I struggle getting my yard to look good. So I have been looking at some of the systems like Scott’s subscription, Sunday and there a couple of others as well. If you have any experience or suggestions please help. I want to get my yard looking good for a future sale.

Thanks
Ed

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I grew up in the Upper Midwest, I attended Purdue (down the road from you), Dad still maintains his own lawn in Upper Midwest, and back in the day took care of 6 or 8 lawns. Back when I took care of 6 or 8 lawns, I went to a local nursery and bought their lawn care program as it worked better than Scott's for less money. Dad uses Vigoro since its large pellets don't clump like Scott's powdery fine pellets, and uses a liquid weed killer (don't waste money on weed & feed).

TruGreen does wonders short-term (i.e. initial cost/benefit is great but after lawn comes up to snuff then cost/benefit goes down), but they will hound you for the rest of your life. To counteract, create a new e-mail address and a Google voice number before contacting TruGreen. After you've sold and moved, delete the e-mail address and Google Voice account.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was doing my own for a couple of years and it looked good but not great and was a bit of work.

Now I have a local company and it's as cheap as doing it myself, and my lawn looks amazing. They spray every 2 months and charge me $55. I will never go back to doing it myself.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I do mine and my Dad's.
I usually use Lesco products because it comes in a large bag that will treat both lawns economically. The crabgrass preventer (1st step) is the most expensive. They recommend 4 treatments a year, which is great, but sometimes I only do 3x a year. If you have a decent spreader it doesn't take long. I use an Earthway.

Earthway 2150 Commercial Broadcast Spreader 50lb Round Hopper
$65.36
https://www.finishge.top/earth...IEAQYASABEgKoJ_D_BwE

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I prefer a local outfit over a huge corporation. Try to support your local.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I did my own and my neighbor has his professionally done. His yard always looked better so I switched to them. Agree on trugreen. One you leave them they will call you and email you forever. This time I am using Weed-man. Same price I was spending on bags to do it myself.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I DIY, and it looks better than anytime the services did the work for me. Also the bags are large enough to do my yard and the daughters so it economically works out.. 2 fer 1

Just fertilized and my yard, and one other neighbor who uses the same DIY method, have super green yards compared to our neighbors.

They have us on an email schedule for what needs to be applied, its easy to do doesn't take long, and the walk around the yard is good exercise...

If you have a DIY store, check it out, be sure they have a scheduled reminder program or sheet to follow.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Do not ever get Tru Green. They are mostly a scam company. I know at least 4 people that had nightmares trying to cancel them. It took over 2 years for one guy and they kept charging him. I think he is taking them to court now.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I just get a bag of Scott’s fertilizer formulated for Bermuda...one bag covers 5k ft...which is about the size of my lawn...I spot spray weeds

When I had almost 2 acres I talked to the neighbor who ran a yard company, he sold me fertilizer at cost and that’s all I did.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I tried for years on my own and finally broke down. I went to the 4 best yards in the neighborhood.
3 out of 4 used TruGreen. I signed up with TruGreen and the yard looks great.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I'll tell you a story about my buddy in Oklahoma - who hated yard work.

He used to make fun of the people on his street who had their yards painted green (ie, fertilizer and whatnot). Said his would always look just as good and he didn't need to mow it as often.

Then I was there for a week in early spring. I went to Lowe's, bought a bag of Scott's, and spread it out.

Came back in the fall (to hunt), noted how well his yard looked, and asked what he did.

His answer, "goddamn it - this shit keeps growing, I had to mow it every week this year."

I was laughing so hard by the time he stopped ranting he knew something was up (and I did tell him).

Soooo, go with Scott's (or not). Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I usually use Lesco products ...

That's all I use for fertilizer and seed.

Additionally, I use Scotts GrubEx for grub control, and Ortho Weed B Gon and PBI/Gordon Speedzone for weed and clover control.

You can't just throw down some weed-and-feed once a year and expect to get good results.

quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I DIY, and it looks better than anytime the services did the work for me.

Same experience here.

We had TruGreen for a couple seasons. The lawn looked "ok," but not great. It looks much better now that I'm doing it then ever it did when they were.

Does it take a bit of work? Sure it does. But I enjoy it, so there's that Smile

One big difference I noticed about DIY vs. TruGreen: When they stopped the lawn started degrading again nearly instantly. Last year I took a bit of a break and there are still hardly any weeds in the lawn and it still looks pretty healthy.

Plus, when we had TruGreen they were constantly trying to up-sell us, and cancelling them was like pulling teeth.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I'll tell you a story about my buddy in Oklahoma - who hated yard work.

He used to make fun of the people on his street who had their yards painted green (ie, fertilizer and whatnot). Said his would always look just as good and he didn't need to mow it as often.

Then I was there for a week in early spring. I went to Lowe's, bought a bag of Scott's, and spread it out.

Came back in the fall (to hunt), noted how well his yard looked, and asked what he did.

His answer, "goddamn it - this shit keeps growing, I had to mow it every week this year."

I was laughing so hard by the time he stopped ranting he knew something was up (and I did tell him).

Soooo, go with Scott's (or not). Big Grin

Well at least you didn’t write dirty words or obscene gestures in his lawn.

That’s what herbicide is for.

I’ve heard it’s been done before.

Ahem. Cough cough.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Had TruGreen for years, just wish their staff didn't change so much. Probably a local problem

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had true green twice.

The kept charging me for extra services I didn't want. they eventually fixed the bills

I canceled them then gave them a second shot because my lawn looked good.

Same shit second time.

I will not use them again

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I just contacted my local LawnDoctor franchisee for a quote on a service plan. I got one the next day, which was impressive - I figured that they sent someone out right away, but I was curious as to how they figured all I needed was their basic "weed & seed" program (or whatever they call it) vs. the "Power Seeding" they advertise on their website, given that I have a rather large damaged (dirt) patch and my lot is exactly one acre square, which their quote seemed cheap for.

I asked.

They explained that they do everything based on information available online. When I questioned that, they got snippy with me and told me that "no lawn company would ever come to look at [my] lawn before servicing it."

I thanked them for their time and let them know that the two other local lawn companies I contacted did exactly that. And I copied LawnDoc's corporate HQ so they would know they'd potentially lost business due to this franchisee.

Probably doesn't matter to them, but I wouldn't use Lawn Doctor.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

Well at least you didn’t write dirty words or obscene gestures in his lawn.

That’s what herbicide is for.

I’ve heard it’s been done before.

Ahem. Cough cough.
I have heard that it works even better if you use fertilizer instead of herbicide for the writing implement.

Of course, I have no personal experience with that. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30679 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I use TruGreen for the chemicals. I enjoy yard work, but not the chemical process. The hippies around me always comment on how good it looks, I just blurt out "Better living through chemical engineering"! That usually gets 'em moving along.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
DIY. You can buy Scotts fertilizer for your type of grass at HD/Lowes. You do it quarterly. Water is the main thing. For your area, and type of grass, you need to figure out how much water your lawn needs per week. That will translate to how many minutes per station, and how many times of week. I like to water at night, when wind speed is low. I typically will water from 12am to 5am. Setting my zones to 5 minutes per zone waiting 2-3 hours and running it a second time for 5 minutes per zone to eliminate run off.

I would suggest a consultation with a sprinkler company in your area. It'll be a simple $100 service call and they will tell you how much to water, when, etc. Then just get on the Scotts quarterly. You'll buy a big bag of fertilizer and you'll need a Scotts spreader. It's very simple to do yourself.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12639 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’m also a DIY Scott’s guy. My lawn looks like carpet. My biggest lawn problem is keeping enough green beans in the dog to keep away the pee burns.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post