SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows Update KB5022352 Beware (Updated OP)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows Update KB5022352 Beware (Updated OP) Login/Join 
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted
I had this update hose 3 of my VMs today before I was able to stop it from updating. Caused them to blue screen and go into perpetual recovery mode with no way out.

Fortunately, they're VMs, so I can rebuild them, but that's going to be a pain.

Anyone else run into this?

Edited to add: Windows Server 2012 R2. It worked ok on a few VMs, but hosed 3. And it was only the update mentioned above. I hid the update for the other VMs, so it won't show up again. I haven't seen any info on this via a quick Google search, and have reached out to another IT friend of mine who is more plugged in than I am. I'll post more information here as I receive it.

Edited to add: The update was KB 5022352 2023-01 Security Monthly Quality Rollup. I corrected above where I mis-stated 2022 R2, where it was actually 2012 R2.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AUTiger89,

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
What version of Windows?

Posts: 2711 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wish he would respond. I paused my updates,but it looks like it is Windows 8.1.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Honestly I don't mess with older OS's.

this one is for:

Windows 8.1 Windows RT 8.1 Windows Server 2012 R2 Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro

https://support.microsoft.com/...db-89a5-4e22c5ce4e26

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Win8??? Wow. I didn't think anyone used that anymore. When Win10 came out I couldn't upgrade fast enough.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We have Server 12 R2 on multiple VMs, passing this along to our networking guy.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
Win8??? Wow. I didn't think anyone used that anymore. When Win10 came out I couldn't upgrade fast enough.

Yeah, I just did some updates w/ 10 yesterday. No problems. What? You're talking about Win 8?
That should be in your OP to avoid confusion for the 110+ people that have read your post.

Posts: 7316 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah it is like calling FIRE and leaving the scene.

Posts: 17164 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yeah it is like calling FIRE and leaving the scene.
Man, what is your problem? You need to just take it easy. This thread is less than an hour old.

I want you, please, to be polite to your fellow forum members, including having a bit of patience.

Posts: 107226 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Copy that

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:

What about Win 11?

Posts: 2711 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
For me this occurred on Windows Server 2012 R2 (updated original post).

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6020 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Is 2012 a typo? Haven't had a new patch for 2012 in a while. We had two instances of servers not booting but it was supposedly after a particular November patch. One was a test box so we (I say we but this was my coworker that encountered it) tried a bunch of things for a week or so and even opened a ticket with Microsoft which was fruitless. Eventually restored that test VM from backup after deciding too much time was being wasted, and patched just fine with the January patches. Asked my coworker if he knew the exact KB and he will let me know. And yes out of around 3,000 servers that we have, a lot of them are still 2012 and even 2008.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
No, it's definitely Server 2012 R2. We get patches monthly.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Ours were 2019 servers. You must have extended support for 2012? Your original post mentions 2022 which is why I thought the one before mine was a typo.

--------------------

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to thread drift this, pardon my ignorance, but since all you computer experts are here now, but I keep getting notifications to update my Windows 10 to Windows 11, for free.

Should I?

Thanks very much.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I don't mean to thread drift this, pardon my ignorance, but since all you computer experts are here now, but I keep getting notifications to update my Windows 10 to Windows 11, for free.

Should I?

Thanks very much.

Windows 10 support ends October 2025. Typically I install a newer OS after 4 - 5 months after it is released.

I am assuming the OP is still running 2012 due to software that's not compatible with newer versions of the OS? It would be interesting to see what the event logs of the 2012 VM's have produced.

Posts: 7521 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Man, I'm so sorry - I corrected it in the OP. They are 2012.

We just use them internally now - all of our important stuff is on Azure.
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Ours were 2019 servers. You must have extended support for 2012? Your original post mentions 2022 which is why I thought the one before mine was a typo.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Should I?

Thanks very much.

I'm not doing it until there's a very good reason (such as I build a new PC, have a major problem, actually require 11 for something, etc.). Otherwise, 10 is good for several more years of security updates.

--------------------

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
quote:

Should I?

Thanks very much.

Windows 10 support ends October 2025. Typically I install a newer OS after 4 - 5 months after it is released.

I am assuming the OP is still running 2012 due to software that's not compatible with newer versions of the OS? It would be interesting to see what the event logs of the 2012 VM's have produced.

Unfortunately, I can't even get them booted, so I can't get to the Event Logs. Just continual blue-screen loops.

I've got other computers using Windows 7, 10, and 11 with no issues.

Phone's ringing, Dude.