SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows Update KB5022352 Beware (Updated OP)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows Update KB5022352 Beware (Updated OP) Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

Was there anything else in common that might be the culprit on your VM's?

Is it only on a VM or have you tried on a regular install?

I think I will do some tests but appreciate the info.

I searched through Microsoft KB and did find a couple instances but did not retain anything of substance to assist.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I don't mean to thread drift this, pardon my ignorance, but since all you computer experts are here now, but I keep getting notifications to update my Windows 10 to Windows 11, for free.

Should I?

Thanks very much.

I've been on Win11 at work for a few months, I was the guinea pig to make sure all our applications played nice. No complaints. We've started imaging all new machines to Win11 as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15289 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Unfortunately, I can't even get them booted, so I can't get to the Event Logs. Just continual blue-screen loops.

I've got other computers using Windows 7, 10, and 11 with no issues.

Very strange... I googled the update and the only issues that I've seen are yours on Sig Forum Frown Is there a reason that you're staying with 2012? It may be easier to install the latest and greatest then install the needed software. Alternatively if you have an image of your VM prior to the update, maybe just restore the image? Sorry, I'm not a server guy. Hopefully a few will chime in to help you out.

Edit:
Take a look here.. You might be able to get to the event logs with a VM that won't boot.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Unless I'm missing something, that update should only be available to someone who paid a LOT of money for extended support for 2012 R2, which reached EOL in mid or late 2018.

EDIT: well picked out a random 2012 R2 test subject and was surprised to see it does see this as an available update when checking the built in Windows update option. For science purposes, I am installing it now.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
We haven't paid for extended support, and all of our production stuff is on Azure, but we keep these servers around for storage and testing.

The 3 VMs that have crashed are on different hypervisors, so that isn't it. Some VMs ran the update fine and 3 didn't, which, at that point, I hid the update on the remaining VMs.

I haven't had any trouble on other versions of Windows - 7, 10, and 11.

Thanks on the Event Logs link - I'll try that Monday.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 3 VMs that have crashed are on different hypervisors, so that isn't it. Some VMs ran the update fine and 3 didn't, which, at that point, I hid the update on the remaining VMs.

Did it crash immediately or run for a while then issues?

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
The test machine I installed it on installed it and rebooted fine. It was a fairly basic web server. I'll try and put it on a few more.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I spun up a dormant VM (SVR2021R2) and it was in the list.
I thought I unchecked the aforementioned Update and installed the rest.
Apparently it installed it anyway.
My original plan was just to install it after the others.
No problems so far.
I do have a production VM and have not applied it yet.
Will definitely have a full backup first.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Did it crash immediately or run for a while then issues?

Crashed on reboot.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6038 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't mean to thread drift this, pardon my ignorance, but since all you computer experts are here now, but I keep getting notifications to update my Windows 10 to Windows 11, for free.

Should I?

Thanks very much.

For some reason when it comes to the Windows Operating System and firearms, many people believe that older is always better.

I updated my personal computer shortly after Windows 11 came out and didn't have any problems with it. I do, however, prefer the UI of Windows 10 more. Windows 11 feels like it was designed for touchscreen use. It looks very much like MacOS in my opinion.

Don't be surprised, however, if you can't actually upgrade to Windows 11 because your hardware doesn't checkout. Microsoft limited compatibility to CPU's that were three years old or less at the time of Windows 11 release. There are work-arounds to upgrade. But they are work-arounds.

Posts: 6621 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Should I?

Thanks very much.

Not necessarily, some computers will not even process the upgrade without some hacks.
Even then, while technically a more secure, "mo better" revision ~ there is not a significant visual experience.
I generally only install W11 on new modern hardware and don't do a lot of upgrades.
However, it can be done.

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
By the way, I have heard anecdotally of two other companies having this issue.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
Windows 11 feels like it was designed for touchscreen use.

I regret not getting touch screen on my latest laptop for this reason.

Posts: 2761 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Funny that Steve Jobs was adamant that touchscreen should never be on laptops. Keyboards only.

iPads are apples answer to touchscreens but they aren’t laptops.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windows 2012/2012 R2 EOL is October 10, 2023. For those with extended end-of-support (EOS), that is it.

I have 2 production servers running R2 that have had no issues with the latest updates.

I have had no issues with two laptops upgraded to Windows 11.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

iPads are apples answer to touchscreens but they aren’t laptops.

I've worn out my share of mice and keyboards over the years. In my line of work, touchscreen only devices could never replace them.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post