SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive alive once again
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Union Pacific Big Boy locomotive alive once again Login/Join 
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted
I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in this. But one of the largest steam locomotives ever built has been restored over the last 4 years. It is now coplete and just yesterday blew his horn for the first time in 60 years.
Here is a little history of this Big Boy from the Union Pacific website;
"Big Boy No. 4014
Twenty-five Big Boys were built exclusively for Union Pacific Railroad, the first of which was delivered in 1941. The locomotives were 132 feet long and weighed 1.2 million pounds. Because of their great length, the frames of the Big Boys were "hinged," or articulated, to allow them to negotiate curves. They had a 4-8-8-4 wheel arrangement, which meant they had four wheels on the leading set of "pilot" wheels which guided the engine, eight drivers, another set of eight drivers, and four wheels following which supported the rear of the locomotive. The massive engines normally operated between Ogden, Utah, and Cheyenne, Wyo.

There are seven Big Boys on public display in various cities around the country. They can be found in St. Louis, Missouri; Dallas, Texas; Omaha, Nebraska; Denver, Colorado; Scranton, Pennsylvania; Green Bay, Wisconsin; and Cheyenne, Wyoming.

Big Boy No. 4014 was delivered to Union Pacific in December 1941. The locomotive was retired in December 1961, having traveled 1,031,205 miles in its 20 years in service. Union Pacific reacquired No. 4014 from the RailGiants Museum in Pomona, California, in 2013, and relocated it back to Cheyenne to begin a multi-year restoration process."

https://www.up.com/heritage/steam/4014/index.htm

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful beast. Nothing better that standing by the tracks when steam passed by.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3763 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing comes alive like steam.

Yes, engineering pun. But true.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2365 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. Why did it operate only between Ogden and Cheyenne?

P229

Posts: 3842 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My only apparent accomplishment in life is being banned from an ancient forum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Very cool. Why did it operate only between Ogden and Cheyenne?

That's where the biggest grades on the UP were located in the 40s and 50s when the Big Boys were in revenue service.

Sherman hill is a big nasty bitch for a train.

Posts: 166 | Location: Washington State | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Very cool, thank you.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I've been watching this very closely since the move to the UP shops. Props to UP for taking on the 'Challenge' [that's a pun that us railroaders will understand] - UP now have three of the largest steam locomotives EVER to grace the planet on their roster - The other articulated loco - Challenger, the FEF 8444, and now 4014.

I can not wait to see her back on track, preferably storming up Sherman Hill with a hundred cars on the hook.

I have to say that hearing her clearing her throat was a very moving experience - I shared it with Mrs tac on our sound-bar equipped TV and almost moved furniture.

Posts: 11334 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by terma-nator: The locomotives were 132 feet long and weighed 1.2 million pounds.

That was very interesting and cool, Terma-nator! Thanks for posting.

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2543 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never understood how those engineers keep those narrow wheels on those narrow rails. It must be difficult! Smile Smile

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got to see 4004 on display in Cheyenne last summer. Hope to get the opportunity to see 4014 with a head of steam one day.

We trudge on.

Posts: 123 | Registered: March 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Here is the Cheyenne, Wyoming Big Boy in 2009:

DSC_1832
by David Casteel, on Flickr

DSC_1836

DSC_1837

Cheyenne Big Boy pano 1833-1835

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Sheldon Cooper would go bat crazy seeing that.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Massive! I'd love to see one up close and in person. I've always had a great fondness for trains. My cousins in Chicago lived near to a very busy railway and as kids we used to listen and watch trains run by all day. They looked like giants when you're that small.

The only steamer I've had the pleasure to ride was in Williams AZ, the Grand Canyon Railway. Though it wasn't nearly as big as these "Big Boys" it was like a childhood dream riding on one. Thanks for the post!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Quite lengthy.

Posts: 26934 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
Here he is on it's way to Golden Spike National Historical Park for the 150th ceremony in a few days.

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
^Oh,wow-they've got a 2-10-4 Texas in there, too.

This is a favorite song of mine. I came across it looking at train videos (rabbitholing from one of tacfoley's train posts).

Posts: 5759 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
Massive! I'd love to see one up close and in person. I've always had a great fondness for trains. My cousins in Chicago lived near to a very busy railway and as kids we used to listen and watch trains run by all day. They looked like giants when you're that small.

The only steamer I've had the pleasure to ride was in Williams AZ, the Grand Canyon Railway. Though it wasn't nearly as big as these "Big Boys" it was like a childhood dream riding on one. Thanks for the post!

Did the bandits rob the train?

Posts: 5746 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post