SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any tips for staying asleep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips for staying asleep? Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
I have a pretty rough night if I spend a lot of time on my laptop in bed just before going to sleep. But if I spend that time reading a book? No problem. I also find that if I eat a snack before going to bed, I'm almost guaranteed a 3AM wakeup.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had this issue in the past, and various doctors were terrible at providing any help.

Waking up early and not being able to fall back to sleep can be a sign of underlying anxiety caused by stress. Ruminating thoughts, or thinking about things in a repetitive and chaotic was, is a sign of this. I had this for a couple months about twenty years ago and it really sucked.

It returned about 12 years ago and this time I had a good doctor that prescribed exactly what was needed - very low dose of a benzodiazepine 0.25 mg of Clonazepam (same family as Valium, Xanax, Ativan, etc.) and another .25 mg if I woke up with 4 or more hours left until I had to get up. It worked from day 1.

Prior to this I tried sleep machine, and a lot of other stuff to no avail. Diphenhydramine (Benadryl, most OTC sleep aids, and Tylenol PM) can help too but I find it leaves more of a lingering effect. Melatonin supplements didn't do much for me.

I have done a lot of international travel and flip flopping your time 12 hours when going to and from Asia can be tough, so learning what works and what doesn't is important.

Something else, alcohol increases awakenings and reduces the ability to get back to sleep. It may put you down but it won't keep you down.

With regard to allergies, I did the full allergy workup a year and a half ago and was told I am allergic to dust mites that live in bedding. I got the super hypallergenic covers for the mattress and pillows, and was also told to wash sheets in hot water once a week.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
CBD with melatonin helps me.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
CBD with melatonin helps me.

I've recently started using Medterra CBD gummies with melatonin and have been getting excellent sleep. I chose that brand because they are 3rd party lab tested and contain 0.0% THC

Posts: 1181 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Btw… doing a sleep study at a clinic can be a whip. I’ve done that twice. Recently I used these folks and was quite happy to do the process at home in my own bed.

https://lofta.com/products/sle...riant=12067210690607

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
How much physical exercise do you get in an average day?...
I smoke because the only exercise I get is coughing... Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We do have the bedroom as a strict bedroom activity only room. That's probably why I can fall asleep really quickly.

Maybe i should schedule a sleep study sooner than later.

Thanks, everyone.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention one thing that always puts me to sleep...Those nature shows with the British guy droning on endlessly about the Arctic Fox hunting the beautiful Snow White arctic hare might do the trick. Big Grin

When that guy starts talking about the beautiful creatures it’s lights out for me every time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tried Ambien?

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
+ 1000 for sleep apnea test, My hypoxia rate was 78, horrible, did not even realize i had a problem until I started waking up gasping for air..I have a machine from the VA I use now, has literally changed my life.

also no caffine sugar or alcohol 7 hrs prior to bedtime

cool room, fan blowing has also helped al ot

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3318 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A sleep study would be a prudent way to determine if sleep apnea is or isn't a cause of your issues.

It will neasure your AHI (apnea hypopnea index or number of breathing cessations of 10 seconds or more and shallow breathing per hour).
Normal sleep: An AHI of fewer than five events, on average, per hour
Mild sleep apnea: An AHI of five to 14 events per hour
Moderate sleep apnea: An AHI of 15 to 29 events per hour
Severe sleep apnea: An AHI of 30 or more events per hour

Mine was 34 during my last study. Using a CPAP brings the AHI back into the normal range.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16222 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tried Ambien?

^^^^^^^^^^
Bad idea. I wonder why they even prescribe this. High rate of dissociative episodes.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I had a lot of trouble too.
I replaced my mattress and pillows and cut my sugar intake down as low as I can. I also run and lift weights almost every day.
I sleep like the dead again.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those nature shows with the British guy droning on endlessly

Add in How it's Made, that monotone Canadian announcer could put anything to sleep...

Getting a sleep test is a good idea, at a minimum it could eliminate some things from consideration.

As for congestion issues, I take my sinus pill about an hour or so before bedtime, seems to help as it's fully active by sleep time.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Melatonin works for me. No other help. Good luck with getting good sleep.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Tylenol PM? Try it out on a night where you don't have to go to work the next day to see if you have any side effects. Is your b/r cool enough? I know I sleep better with a COLD room.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
When I find I am habitually not tired at bedtime and consequently not wanting to get up, getting up and eating immediately then starting into an activity really helped make me tired quite early.

I will usually be up around dawn to pee anyway, so I force myself to eat a small something (simple, no real prep) and maybe a cola or coffee, tea etc. Then stay up till early evening.

For expedience, I will just make buttered toast, and eat standing up, no lingering. If really needing a launch, a cup of coffee. No naps, unless I went for 20 minutes timed with an alarm, somewhere midday. no longer. No caffeine after 1pm.
I would go to sleep early for a night or two, then 'cheat' and get up around the time I originally wanted to be up and at 'em. I believe late TV or computer time makes this harder to accomplish.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
I have sleep apnea but could not wear that mask. I have always been an early riser. I go to sleep around 9PM and generally wake up at 4:30 on most days. If I go to bed later I'm still up at 4:30Smile A few things that work for me:

Setting a timer for the TV to shut off makes a big difference for me.

I think about various projects I'm working on and walk through all the minute details. At times I maybe stressed about something, I'm a worrier. If so this really helps to block it out of my mind and focus on something I enjoy. I don't know why this helps but it works well for me.

Not eating anything substantial 2 hours before I go to sleep.

Maybe once a month I will wake up around 1 or 2. I walk out to the couch and watch TV. Canon is on at 2am and then Barnaby Jones at 3am. If I make it all the way to the end of Barnaby Jones I know it's going to be a long day Big Grin

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
borrow this book from the library - it's chock full of strategies for sleep, preparation, etc.

avoid blue light (regular house light, phones, kindles, t.v. etc - with blue blocker glasses.

i've noticed on days where i get a lot of sun i sleep better, longer.

avoid wearing sunglasses in the morning. filtering sunlight is not beneficial to getting to sleep when you need to at night - sunlight is key to getting to sleep.

i know from my reading that getting enough sleep is crucial for your brain and clearance of amyloid beta.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
...I'd usually also nap after work...
I can't discern whether or not you discontinued the naps? I'm on my 4th sleep doctor (employer moves me every few years) and they're unanimous on no napping. Get all of your sleep at once so you have time to get into the deep, restful sleep cycles.
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
What have you tried that actually worked?
Getting a sleep study and a CPAP. Even with all of the damn wires, the hose, and the video camera the sleep study was the best night of sleep I had in years. I wanted that restful sleep ASAP so I hounded the shit out of my doctor in between the sleep study and receiving my first CPAP. Most insurance plans require your sleep doctor to monitor compliance (aka sleeping with it every night) and every sleep doctor has complimented me on being 100% compliant year after year. I'm always shocked they have patients that don't wear it.

My only lingering sleep issue is periodically something is bugging my subconscious and I'll wake up in the middle of the night and my mind will be racing so I cannot fall back asleep.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post