SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any tips for staying asleep?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any tips for staying asleep? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I haven't slept well for as long as i can remember. Before I was married, I'd go to bed around 11:30 and wake just before 6:00. I'd usually also nap after work. The wife brought a different sleep schedule. 9:30 to no later than 10:00 is bedtime. I have no problem with that as I'm usually able to fall asleep in 15 minutes. The problem is I'll wake up just about every night between 11:00 and 2:00 and that's it, there is no possibility of going back to sleep. Just as bad as no sleep is the utter boredom of laying and doing nothing.

Sometimes a sleeping pill with melatonin will work, tonight is not one of those times. I've googled all the worthless ideas like controlled breathing and imagining sleep. I'm feeling pretty desperate because it's affecting every aspect of life.

What have you tried that actually worked?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel ya, a good night's sleep would be great.

If I go to bed early, I wake up at 1-2.
If I go to bed late, I don't get enough sleep.

And even when I do get some sleep, I'm constantly waking up, tossing and turning.

Then upon waking up, I'm all plugged up and can only breathe from one nostril or the other.
At some point in the first 10-30 mins I blow my nose a dozen times!

If I could breathe and sleep well for week, I'd probably seem like I slept for a year!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Obviously not from me. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15484 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
I have used a white noise machine for about 30 years, since I started a night shift. It sounds like a train rhythmically rolling down the track. But that mostly was to camouflage the noise made by my wife and kids during the day while I slept. It worked well for that. I don't play it loud, just enough to make a consistent background.

I now take Magnesium to help with restless leg syndrome mostly.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/pr..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Usually 3 or 4 at bedtime or slightly before. I seem to sleep more sound with it. I do also dream more vivid. It upsets some peoples digestion so it needs to be started on a low dose at first, and I wouldn't buy a huge supply to try just in case. It isn't a huge help but some benefit is there for me.

One other thing a guy I know swears by is sleeping in separate beds, they are still in the same room. That think that would be a no go for me but if someone's sleep problem was bad enough it might be worth a try.

Oh, and just a degree or two in temp can affect how well I sleep as well. A tad cool is better than a tad warm for me.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
How am I supposed to answer you and be sleeping well?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Have you ever discussed your problem with a doctor as sleep apnea can cause you to have trouble sleeping and staying asleep. Could be other problems there that a sleep doctor could help you with. Me, I'm awake right now because my dog thinks he had to go pee and I'm waiting for him to come back in.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

Then upon waking up, I'm all plugged up and can only breathe from one nostril or the other.

If I could breathe and sleep well for week, I'd probably seem like I slept for a year!

I have about the same issue. Recently I started using OTC saline nasal rinses. Ocean brand is very good but I do just fine with generics. It’s just saline in a squeeze bottle. In always amazed at what comes out of my nose, it’s obvious why I’m restricted. It’s disgusting to see then but I do breathe better.

Then I use Flonase to help keep my nasal passages clear.

I might have to go the ear nose throat doc for him to see if I have a damaged or restricted septum.

I highly recommend you try the nasal rinses and Flonase.

Or you could try a Netti Pot.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
It blows not being able to sleep. Clearly I have the same problem, posting at 3:45am. Most of my issues are pain related. Listening to music gently for awhile helps me. Not sure what else to suggest cause I haven’t found anything else that works well either. One word of advice though, don’t go down the road of prescription sleep aids. You’ll get stuck on them very easily, I did for years. Best of luck.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I often have the same problem if I try to go to bed before I am "tired". I try to avoid it by reading a book until I find myself nodding off.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
For those that can't sleep, watch this video. It won't help you sleep at all, it's just relaxing and cool. So maybe that makes you sleep, probably not, enjoy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
new mattress

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
My body clock has been messed up for years, I think since college days. I actually enjoyed it. So, no help from me.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
How much physical exercise do you get in an average day?
Perhaps a one to three mile walk, after dinner, would generate some endorphins and help.
Do you snack after dinner?
A cold to cool bedroom is another good idea.
Any issues with sleep apnea?
Hope you soon are generating źzzzzzzs with regularity.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did night shift for years like an idiot. even after switching back to days it was 5-6 a night maybe. Always, I would wake up in the middle of the night and then have trouble getting back to sleep.

I went the sleep clinic route and after getting a CPAP I was sleeping for like 9-10 hours. I've leveled out to about 71/2-8 hours a day but generally unless I do something weird that has fixed me. A big thank you to the guys that suggested it BTW. If you are on a good schedule for sleep and that doesn't work then definitely check out a sleep clinic.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
A couple things that work for me.

Benedryl

Melatonin - esp the extended release kind

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
I feel ya, a good night's sleep would be great.

If I go to bed early, I wake up at 1-2.
If I go to bed late, I don't get enough sleep.

And even when I do get some sleep, I'm constantly waking up, tossing and turning.

For the waking up plugged up - do you have a hypo allergenic pillow protector (cover) on your pillow? I have noticed an improvement in my nighttime stuffiness with one.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Things that have helped for me:

-A new pillow
-A new mattress
-A new comforter
-Avoiding caffeine later in the afternoon
-Exercising more throughout the day
-a sound machine that plays the sound of ocean waves crashing on the beach
-not watching TV before I go to sleep

I’ve struggled to sleep well my whole life, especially when I travel. I hope you can find something that helps.

Melatonin is something that hasn’t helped me. It rarely helps me sleep and only seems to make me feel like a damn drowsy zombie the next day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some basics to help sleep, use the bed primarily for sleep (and other fun things), but not things like reading in bed. Sleep hygienics = getting your mind and body used to the notion that the bed is for sleep, not watching tv, reading, etc. That and trying to sleep on a more-or-less fixed schedule, so your mind and body get used to going to bed to sleep at the same time. Other good suggestions in this thread.

But I stink at sleep.

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You may want to go get checked out for sleep apnea where your airway collapses or closes during sleep and your body keeps waking you up in response so you don’t die basically.

I was diagnosed with that late last year and went on a CPAP machine on February 1 of this year and it made me realize I had been sleeping awful for years.

They can even do a home sleep study now where your doctor sends you home with a device you hook up to yourself with nasal cannulas, a finger O2 meter and a chest strap that measures you while you sleep. I was stopping breathing 60 TIMES an hour. Eek

Posts: 33812 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ this is VERY good advice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post