SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking Bacon - Pro tips
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking Bacon - Pro tips Login/Join 
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I go 375° for 22 minutes in my Ninja toaster over. Flip half way through. Perfect every time.

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I used to use a skillet on the stove. It was always a messy PITA, but it was the way I learned to do it. Then I picked up a cheapie electric griddle and that worked a LOT better. Still splatters some, but the bacon comes out better and more consistent. That griddle didn't make the trip when I moved interstate a couple months ago so I've been bacon-less for that long. I need to try out the oven method.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You definitely should. It not only removes the splattery mess and makes for easy cleanup, it also eliminates the need to stand at the stove/griddle and babysit it. You can stick it in the oven, set a timer, and go do other things until the timer goes off.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If not cooking in the oven, a shirt is highly recommended.

Edit: I see now that Pal had already shared this nugget. Bears repeating anyway, I guess.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSGM,

Posts: 2137 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Water? That's interesting. The pan foil and water seems like a lot of work. 400 degrees and 8 minutes for my air fryer. Perfect!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Instead of a frying pan, I use a deep cooking pot - like I use for spaghetti. The high walls catch most of the stove top splatter.

I also cut the entire pack of bacon strips in thirds (before I start peeling off strips to cook). It is much easier than managing the entire long strips of bacon.

You just have to be careful not to burn yourself on the walls of the pot - long tongs help with this.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
^ yep, slow render to get the lard after. The bacon is just the reward for your patience. I do like uncured Applegate. But as this is regarding professional commercial kitchen methods, the oven is probably the most practical method.

Posts: 3509 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Smoked bacon for the first time on the BGE today. 225 degrees for 2 hours. All I can say is, out freaking standing.

Posts: 187 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mholmes:
Smoked bacon for the first time on the BGE today. 225 degrees for 2 hours. All I can say is, out freaking standing.

Big Grin

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I used to use a skillet on the stove. It was always a messy PITA, but it was the way I learned to do it. Then I picked up a cheapie electric griddle and that worked a LOT better. Still splatters some, but the bacon comes out better and more consistent. That griddle didn't make the trip when I moved interstate a couple months ago so I've been bacon-less for that long. I need to try out the oven method.

We usually do it in the oven similar to what's been posted, but if my Weber grill is fired up I will sometimes use either a cast iron skillet or a flat griddle made for the grill and put it right on the grate. It get's plenty hot although you've got to work with regulating the temperature as it doesn't change immediately if you turn down the gas. Splatter's not an issue but there's still the griddle to deal with.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Electric skillet.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24073 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Over the years I've tried pretty much all the suggested ways to cook bacon, oven, microwave, iron skillet. There is only one way that delivers little to no cleanup with great tasting bacon.

Electric skillet. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

The reason the water is used, is to maintain the temperature at 212° for 5-15 minutes on the bacon to reduce proteins that only breakdown at narrow and specific temperature range.
How much water do you use? Enough to cover the bacon? More? Less?

I like bacon on the crispy side, but not brittle.

I don’t like it brittle either… That’s way overdone in my book.

I think the rule of thumb here is that more water equals less chewy. I like a certain chewiness to my bacon, but removing a fair amount of it is an amazing process!

I tend to use good bacon that’s thicker than Oscar Meyer store-bought. I also prefer uncured bacon over cured; however, in the photos above you can see all the sugar left in the pan from cured bacon. (I’ve also use the Costco 2 pound bacon packages as well. I’m currently using the local butcher but it’s all cured.)

The amount of water is somewhat variable. I have found depending on the thickness of the bacon (we have an instant hot water tap that I use at the sink) to add enough water to cover probably about half the side/thickness of the bacon, maybe a little bit more.

(I’ve probably cooked 75-100 pounds/pans of bacon in the last five or six months easily. I’ve dialed it in for my oven.)

And lastly, I never said that’s was for everybody. Only those who really care about their bacon!
Wink

wow, this is awesome info. Never knew about this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10907 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Stove top cast iron here. Slow cooked on low and it doesn't splatter. It can take awhile to get to the perfect done chewiness, but that's what I do. I also cut it in half. The smaller pieces fit into my #5 Griswold perfectly.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Though I have a culinary background, guess I am not sure what a bacon expert is ...

Have tried all the above methods for cooking bacon, and though each have their individual methods depending on a person's preference, I have found that the old school way of cooking bacon on cast iron (pan or griddle) is our family's preferred method.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wait what?

I’m gonna have to try that

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:

Wait what?

I’m gonna have to try that

Yep, pulled mine off yesterday.
I have not bought store bought bacon in several months now.
Once you smoke it your self - you will never go back.
Buy a slab of pork belly, cure it 5 days +/- then smoke it to 145 degrees.
I always slice some jalapeno to cure it and smoke it with too for good measure.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Yep, pulled mine off yesterday.
I have not bought store bought bacon in several months now.
Once you smoke it your self - you will never go back.
Buy a slab of pork belly, cure it 5 days +/- then smoke it to 145 degrees.
I always slice some jalapeno to cure it and smoke it with too for good measure.

That is a PRO-TIP!!! 100%

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Welcome to the club, smoker bacon is da bomb, no grease, cook to whatever level you like....

Water Technique is interesting, we do not cook a lot of bacon indoors, generally I'll do a couple of Costco pounds on the Traeger. One pound gets devoured while the second is cooked for later..

Posts: 23403 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I think there is some confusion on smoking cured pork belly to make bacon or smoking bacon slices on the smoker to cook it.

I've done the former a lot. I need to try the latter.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12424 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post