SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooking Bacon - Pro tips
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooking Bacon - Pro tips Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Ok, I’ll back up SIgnified here, the water works as he explains. I do it in the oven this way sometimes, sometimes without. Same goes for stovetop. It all depends on what I’m making the bacon for.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I used to cook it from a cold oven start, but my new stove "rapid preheats" so I now start from a hot oven.

375, foil lined cookie sheet, thick bacon cooks around 25 minutes, no flipping needed.

I buy a pig and have it butchered locally, so the bacon will vary in size leaving some crispier that others (perfect for my household's varied tastes).

Oh, and save the bacon grease for cooking with later!

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, and save the bacon grease for cooking with later!

Crucial!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had been frying in a stovetop cast iron skillet, but I recently bought one of those gizmos off TV that uses a rack in the microwave. It does a pretty good job.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Guess I'm just an old school curmudgeons as I continue to use a stovetop cast iron frying pan for my bacon. Big Grin

Curmudgeon maybe not, you just enjoy the process. Wink I'm the same with making steel-cut oats over the stove-top.

You got me dead to rights my friend! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ll go with the bombastic one on this. A little water seems to cook bacon more evenly without getting too crispy. And the water is gone well before the cooking is finished.
BTW, 75-100 lbs is a lot of bacon!

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
The only time I cook bacon in the oven is when I have multiple guests and I'm cooking a lot of it. 98% of the time it's just for me, or Barb and I, and 3-6 pieces fit in the 12" cast iron pan nicely. I cut onions, peppers, and potatoes while it's simmering. Some of the remaining grease is used for the potatoes and or eggs.
Next time I do bake it I'll try your tip of pouring water on it first.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7098 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
I bake mine on a sheet lined with parchment paper.

Same here but I use the convection oven setting. Makes it a bit crisper. 370 deg (convection) for 20 minutes

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I use Wright's thick cut most of the time and a sheet pan lined with foil. I set oven for 400 and put bacon in cold oven and let it heat up with the oven. Turning is unnecessary imho and cook time is approx 25 min in a convection oven. I don't like mine extra crisp and this method suits me.

Here's a before pic - sorry the after pic is on my waistline

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Thought I'd add one more thing. I don't buy packaged bacon and haven't for a long, long time.

I buy bacon by the pound in butcher shops and get the thick cut, usually Jalapeno bacon or Chipotle bcon or when it's in season, Hatch Chile bacon.

Don't like the commercial packaged stuff at all.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
…Hatch Chile bacon.

Good gosh that stuff is phenomenal. Wish we could find it up here in KS.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Thanks look forward to trying this. Especially adding the water to the equation.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pan, foil and oven for me.

When done, I pass all of the bacon grease through a coffee filter into a mason jar and put it in the fridge.

That is my go to fat for most of my cooking of things that would benefit from the flavor, like eggs, veggies, a little in the toasted cheese pan, etc.

The "Boz"

Posts: 1532 | Location: Central Ohio, USA | Registered: May 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try an old school broiler pan instead of a regular cookie sheet.

Line the bottom part with foil for easy clean up.

I don't even flip it, just cook to desired doneness, pull to paper towel and enjoy.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Line the bottom part with foil for easy clean up.
Parchment paper works, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best bacon I've ever had was the bacon my mother made in the broiler. She used a shallow pan with a wire grill that suspended the bacon from the bottom of the pan. The grease would simply drip down as the bacon cooked. Turned it once when the top side was done and continued until the other side was done. Pulled it out dabbed it with paper towels to soak up excess grease that was left. As crisp as you wanted depending upon how long you left it in, but never brittle crisp. The best.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Preheat convection oven to 400F - 20 minutes on the broiler drip pan - grease drains off---nice chewy/crispy combo.............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pro tip.....never fry bacon naked

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I’d rather just go to the Waffle House. They have good bacon.

With some good luck I’ll get a ring side seat for the fist fights, hair pulling, chair throwing waitress tossing the flying chair aside, table top jumping clumsy gymnastics.

I can’t help it, I live such a boring life. Big Grin

Posts: 11846 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I do 425 degrees, but put the bacon in a cold oven. Typically 20 minutes and its done. I use parchment paper rated to 450 degrees for easy cleanup.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post