SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you go with a narrower tire to get a better tire or a wider tire but not as good of a tire (Foxbody Mustang)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you go with a narrower tire to get a better tire or a wider tire but not as good of a tire (Foxbody Mustang) Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
quote:
It will mostly be a summer cruiser with lots of spirited driving out on out twisty country roads.

My 91 was stock and the only car I've owned that would swap ends for no reason.
Not screwing around just taking the corners normal and off across the field I'd go backwards through fences and whatnot.
If it was wet out it wouldn't take off straight from a light, just crab sideways towards the car next to you.
My K5 with a spool in the rear diff did that pretty bad too.

It was a quick lil straight liner though.

I can't offer any meaningful advice on the tires, but I drove a 1988 Mercedes 560SEL for a while in the early 2000s that was a bit like that.

When the roads were wet, especially from a light rain when it hadn't rained in a while (lots of dust and oil built up on the roads), I had to be REALLY gentle on the gas from a stop or the rear wheels would just instantly break loose and spin.

Despite being a huge, heavy sedan, that car was a lot of fun. It had enough torque that on deserted roads and in empty parking lots it was easy to stomp the gas and break the rear wheels loose and slide sideways through turns.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're looking at the wrong size. 245/45/16's are made by several tire companies. The 245/45/16 (24.7")is very close in height to the factory 225/50/16's (24.9" diameter). Those are what I ran on my fox body GT with the factory pony wheels and was able to do 11.80's at 118 mph with a little juice and them. There are a few street tires in 245/45 for under $200, either bridgestone potenzas or Pirelli P-zeros

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...r=17&performance=ALL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
You're looking at the wrong size. 245/45/16's are made by several tire companies. The 245/45/16 (24.7")is very close in height to the factory 225/50/16's (24.9" diameter). Those are what I ran on my fox body GT with the factory pony wheels and was able to do 11.80's at 118 mph with a little juice and them. There are a few street tires in 245/45 for under $200, either bridgestone potenzas or Pirelli P-zeros

https://www.tirerack.com/tires...r=17&performance=ALL

Likely right.
Bridgestone and I aren’t friends and those P Zeros are on Closeout and not sure the usual price.
The other Pirellis are BIG MONEY!

When I got this car 23 years ago it had 205/70/14 Hoosier Radials I later put on Cooper Cobra GTs and the Firestone Firehawks.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25432 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Though I'd have preferred the Michelin AS3+ I put a set of Potenza RE980AS on my Mercedes & they were quite good, with a smaller hit on the wallet compared to the Michelins.

Again, All Season tires, so if you're looking for summer only, I've got no suggestions there.

About to need tires on the DD, so the research starts soon for me too.
Long ways off from needing anything on the Rotus.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do know that these are 2 different tires as the Michelins are all-season and the BF Goodrich are summer street tires. I had the BF Goodrich on my 300ZX Twin Turbo and they are great summer tires but wear out quickly and suck in the cold. I hope this helps. God Bless !!! Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3071 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post