SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle oil life gauges- are they accurate?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle oil life gauges- are they accurate? Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In my 2005 F150 I changed it at 5k.

In my new F150 it will be 5k. The manual says 7500...but I plan on driving this one till the thing dies....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11458 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I use mine as a reminder, nothing more.

I drive about 130 miles per day in my service truck. We live in rural America so it's a mix of dirt and paved roads, sometimes short distances between calls, some 25 plus miles. I average about 32k miles per year. Current one is a 2010 F150 with the 5.4 l engine. It was a 4 year old lease turn in when I bought it with about 47k miles. Currenty at 176,000 miles.

My past two trucks, a 1993 F150 and a 200s Silverado both went about 350,000 mils before retirement.

In the past I have changed oil at the 3,000 mile interval. As an aside, I change transmission fluid and filter at 60k miles.

With my current truck, I have used nothing but Mobil 1 oil and filters. I run it to 10k miles per change. Oil looks the same when it is drained as when it was installed. My mechanic at first though we should change oil at 7k but after a couple times, we agreed on 10k I expect to run this truck the same number of miles as the previous 2.

Posts: 11285 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post