SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle oil life gauges- are they accurate?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle oil life gauges- are they accurate? Login/Join 
Picture of cooger
posted
My wife’s van is due for an oil change based on mileage but the gauge says there is still 40% life left in the oil. Should I change it?

2012 Honda Odyssey van, synthetic oil, it’s been 5k miles since last oil change.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd change it if it was my vehicle. 5K is my personal limit.
IIRC, it used to be 5K miles many years ago and now they say 3K.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
2012 Honda Odyssey van, synthetic oil, it’s been 5k miles since last oil change.

Back in the old days, with conventional oil, I used to change every 3K miles. These days, with full synthetic, I think you can be confident in changing between 5K and 7K. Some people go 10K, but I don't like to do that.

As for the gauge that says there is still 40% life left in the oil... it's not testing the oil. It's just based on your mileage since it was last reset.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24578 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
What do oil gauges measure?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13085 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Back in the old days, with conventional oil, I used to change every 3K miles. These days, with full synthetic, I think you can be confident in changing between 5K and 7K. Some people go 10K, but I don't like to do that.

This is my thought as well. I don't pay any attention to the oil life gauge.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You can easily go 6,000 to 7,000 or more on synthetic oil, I’d wait until the counter is at 10%.

I had a Mini Cooper that that had 10,000 mile oil change intervals with Mobil 1 oil.

Posts: 34536 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, they're accurate. More so than any of the guessing everyone seems to do. I'd change it when the oil monitor says it's time to change it.

Modern ECU's do a lot better job at regulating the air/fuel ratio, modern engine metals do a better job at sealing combustion chambers during cold start/warm up periods etc., and modern oils have much much better detergents in them to keep the oil cleaner than even 10-15 years ago, all leading to longer oil change intervals.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
I'd change it if it was my vehicle. 5K is my personal limit.
IIRC, it used to be 5K miles many years ago and now they say 3K.

I believe you have that reversed no? Used to be 3K. Now 5.

My Subaru book says 6K. I plan on 5 but don’t stress if I’m over.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My Subarus said change every 7.5k miles, so that's what I did. I got 144k out of the Outback before a non oil related issue caused me to sell it. My Ridgeline has the oil life counter. I'm at about 4.5k miles, and it says 60% oil life. I probably won't wait for the counter to reach zero at around 12k miles because I thought the 7.5k was a little long. Anywhere between 5k-6k is where I change my oil. YMMV.

Posts: 7096 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people are gonna say change it every 3k miles, some will say 15k and there's everything in between. In vehicles made in the last 10yrs the oil monitor should be fairly accurate. Many people follow it, change the oil at 0% and still get a long life out of their engine. I typically change mine at 20% just to be sure.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3630 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern maintenance minders take into account your driving habits and calculate the expected oil life based on that.

So if you cruise a long in nice weather all day at 55mph, you might get a lot more life out of you oil than the guy who's heavy on the throttle, in stop and go traffic and lives in the extreme heat or cold.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
I researched the hell out of the GM system for the Vette. The consensus seems to be extremely accurate. Plus I use Mobile 1.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I don’t pay attention to them. I change my oil every 5000 miles with conventional or 7000 with synthetic and reset the maintenance minder when done.

Oil filters don’t filter everything from the oil and depending on the filtration qualities of the brand of oil filter used, particles smaller than 30 microns accumulate in the oil. The longer you go the more particles accumulate and the more wear you put on your engine. None of my cars or trucks burn any oil. My daily beater has over 230,000 miles and doesn’t use oil either. Of course if you buy new cars every couple of years, this won’t matter to you. Extended oil change intervals on newer cars (10,000 miles or more) are intended to lower the “cost of ownership” for marketing purposes, not so you can get the most mileage out of your car.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I’m leaving today and driving about 300 miles round trip. I’m usually not anal about stuff but I am when it comes to vehicle maintenance. I want mine to last as long as possible but I’m thinking another 300 miles won’t hurt it.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
My car calls for oil changes every 10K miles. It started showing "You need to change your oil" warnings when it got to around 7 or 8K. I asked the dealer about that and they said to ignore it, that it's just based on time elapsed since the last change.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
If you're really concerned about it, you can send a sample to Blackstone labs for analysis. A little pricey at $28, but it will tell you if you've waited too long or still had life left along with a bunch of other things and recommendations for down the line.

I did a sample on my 2019 Tacoma when it had 5000 miles (changed the oil then although Toyota says 10,000 miles) so I could establish a base line. I'm planning on doing it every 15,000 miles from now on which will be 3 years with my driving habits. The harder you use you vehicle (towing etc) the more important this is.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
With synthetic oil, you're fine.

Oil life monitors like those of Honda don't actually look at the oil. Rather, they extrapolate based on how many trips you take, how warm the engine gets, how far you drive, etc. A car used for lots of short trip/never warming up driving (considered "'severe' service") needs oil changed sooner. Others, like my own Toyota, are strictly mileage-based (5000 for mine). Neither kind "knows" when you've changed the oil, so they must be manually reset, or they might come on again in the middle of your next service interval.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
As far as the OP's question, here is what a honda dealer says about the Honda oil life indicator. The highlight is:

My old Silverado, I changed with Mobil 1 at the lesser of 6 months or 7,500 miles. I drove it 145k miles and sold it at 13.5 years to my buddy. He drove it 3 more years and put another 30k on it. Neither of us had any lubrication related issues on it, and it ran so well that he sold it for exactly what I sold it to him for.

The oil change interval indicator varied so it was more sophisticated than merely counting miles. It usually came on between 4500 and 5500 miles so I suspect it was based on conventional motor oil.
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
As for the gauge that says there is still 40% life left in the oil... it's not testing the oil. It's just based on your mileage since it was last reset.
Are you speaking specific to a '12 Honda Odyssey ? The reason I ask it that oil life indicators are manufacturer and/or vehicle specific. Some actually differentiate between synthetic and conventional, some are employing a sophisticated driving algorithm looking for starts/stops versus highway driving, a few merely countdown miles (as you stated), and some expensive vehicles actual test the oil's electrical resistance and/or oil thickness.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23654 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
The problem with having an oil sample tested is that they don’t test for particles small enough to make it through the oil filter, but too large for them to test. They don’t even have a category on their testing analysis for that. They basically just test the oil for TBN, tell you how much active additive you have left, if there are any wear metals in the sample (ppm) and then tell you to run your oil for a longer or shorter oil change interval.

Another thing I notice is that a lot of these oil life gauges don’t adjust enough for stop and go traffic. On my Si, it will only reduce the oil change interval by 200-300 miles as compared to all highway driving. Stop and go traffic used to be classified as severe duty calling for a lot shorter oil change intervals.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
What do oil gauges measure?

Actual oil "gauges" measure engine oil pressure. Oil life monitors, as previously noted, take into account various driving parameters and calculate when a change is due (theoretically). This may not always be an accurate assessment though.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post