SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2024 solar eclipse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 solar eclipse Login/Join 
posted
Anyone in central east tx I can set up camp for a a couple nights?

Seen multiple lunar
Never a total solar

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I may check it out, skipped the last one.

Good luck on the search, sounds crowded in many places.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Multiple counties in the path of totality are expecting problems from the numbers of visitors completely outstripping the capacity of their infrastructure, and have issued disaster declarations. I’m glad I live hundreds of miles from there. Hell, the gas stations here frequently run out of fuel on holiday weekends, just from people passing through on their way to and from Mexico.

I’d consider whether a 4 minute eclipse is worth the potential trouble. You very probably have more patience than I do, though.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/n...aration-18761581.php

Posts: 26908 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I lived thru the last one in western NC, there was no need for emergency disaster BS. The hotels filled up, you couldn’t get into a restaurant the day before and the roads were fuller. But nothing like they are predicting this time.

They have south down school that day already. No one will come out and say it’s because they don’t want the kiddos looking at the sky and burnining their eyes, but they don’t want any liability. More BS. I remember when I was a kid everyone went outside and we poked a hole in a piece of cardboard and projected the eclipse onto a piece of white poster board-no one burned their eyes.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11284 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We are in the 98% zone. My parents are 3.5 hours away, right in the middle of totality. My wife has something she can't miss that day, but I'm off work and if the weather cooperates I'm considering taking the kids to my parents' place for it. If nothing else it will be a chance for them to spend some time with Grandma and Grandpa.

My only concern is I have to work the next day, so we'll be driving back home that evening and I don't want to fight traffic the whole way.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If you want to see it in a town called Nineveh, there will be seven of 'em to choose from.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Talking heads are making big noise around here. Apparently Seymour Indiana is in the totality path and that's about an hour north. I'm not particularly excited.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Just looked up the path and its nowhere near me

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
Anyone in central east tx I can set up camp for a a couple nights?

Seen multiple lunar
Never a total solar

I own 5 acres of raw land 12 miles NW of Bastrop, TX. It looks like it is just a hair outside of the total eclipse zone, but I would let you camp on it if you want.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Our county officials have been meeting regularly for over 2 years ‘preparing’ for this event. I’ll be working it for 5 days, and I’m not looking forward to it one bit.

We normally run 2 patrol deputies on duty, and a lot of times, just one. We are estimating 100s of thousands extra travelli through and/or viewing here, and we’re freaked. Just heavy traffic days gives us a fit. Supposedly, we’ll have troopers and game wardens available in addition to a handful of other local LEOs.

I’m an amateur astronomer and was looking forward to the event, but with the mess expected, I may be hoping for clouds.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I have 20 acres in Arkansas in the path of totality.

Everyone besides SIGforum peeps, gotta pay $100 for a 3 foot square spot. Parking is $1000 per vehicle.

I plan on buying out Elon Musk and being the first simian on the Mars...

Fuck shit potatoes, we gonna grow bananas!

If the clouds screw up yer view, contact God.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
We had one come smack dab over us back in '79. No big whoop IMO, and I was kind of a Carl Sagan nerd back then. It got darker for a few minutes and then it got light again. You can't even look at it, so that's about all there is to experience. Stay home and Google the pictures, it's much cooler...and cheaper, especially if you're planning on staying with the monkey.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
My sons and I drove down to Tennessee to see the eclipse in 2017 and it was one of the best experiences of my life! I was in awe, so much so that I'm flying the family unit to San Antonio and venturing up into the Kerrville area to find a spot to observe.

If you've never seen a full eclipse, I urge you to find a way to view this one. It will be a surreal experience.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I saw the eclipse in totality in north eastern Georgia in 2017.

During totality, you can look directly at the sun/moon without any eye protection.

I have been in many "partial" solar eclipse events in many states in the USA and Iceland, but never experienced totality until 2017.

It is night and day, (no pun intended) experience.

If you ever do experience one, you will become a "believer". If you never do, you simply cannot comprehend what you never have had the blessing of experiencing.

(yeah, I realize I used that word to a great degree, but I could not think of a better way to express it).

And, no, you will not get anything like the actual event, in any image, video, play by play or biblical account, short of standing there and seeing it, full on, wide eyed and looking at the darkest black "hole" with the corona of the sun, in the cool of a warm day with twilight all around you. The clouds pull back and dissipate in the last minute before totality, then come back a minute after.

It is eerie, awe inspiring and humbling.

Words fail.

Everything fails.

Might as well try to describe your first sexual experience and orgasm, or being present, holding your child's head as they are born and cutting the cord, or holding someone's hand as they leave this existence, than to convey the reality of a total eclipse.

I always wanted to experience one, and now I am fortunate to be able to experience it once again.

If any of you have opportunity, do it. You will not be disappointed.

And unless you are in the right place in 20 years, maybe not ever having the opportunity again.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is eerie, awe inspiring and humbling.

Words fail.

Everything fails.

Yes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just north of Cincinnati on the edge of total eclipse.
I have three spare bedrooms and anyone is welcome to stay.
My only fee is good conversation and yes it's going to rain!
Hotels have quadrupeled their price and traffic will be a nightmare.
All of this for three minutes. Roll Eyes

Posts: 955 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
We are very close to the center line of the shadow. With great anticipation, looking forward to this special event!

Posts: 791 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Think I'm going to drive to Tyler, sleep in the back of the truck then get up early and drive a bit more to area of totality, then head back to the house before the masses depart

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'm going nowhere near it. They are expecting 20-30K people north of the Notches trying to take a peak. Going to be a massive traffic jam and trespass with law enforcement sent there from all over the state to try to keep order. Might even be guard units mobilized.

Based on historical weather data, there a 70% chance it will be overcast anyway.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're going to Blanco State Park a few days early and staying a day later in an RV. Should have no traffic worries. Drove to Lake Corpus Christi for the annular eclipse, it was a blast. I hope to get some good corona pictures this time with a 500 mm mirror lens and either a 2x or 3x converter. I'm also taking 10 gallons of gas in jerry cans just in case.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post