SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2024 solar eclipse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 solar eclipse Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Newsmax has gone off the deep end with this. Pastors and Rabbis crying and praying, and I think a weathergirl they interviewed in Arkansas had an orgasm. "I'm so excited I'm just tingling all over".

The good news is that we don't have to hear the word "totality" for another twenty years.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Super let down in Central TX. Complete cloud cover. Got dark sure, but only a couple of peeks of the eclipse while being obscured. 1/10. Waste of time.

Posts: 2019 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Cloudy here all day but it thinned right at totality so it was visible. Got dark as night but the chickens didn't go to bed.

Posts: 3470 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was riding my motorcycle shortly before, during, and after the total eclipse.

It got dark, the streetlights came on, the streetlights went off, I made it back to my office.

The end

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Had a pretty decent view of it here in Delaware Bay. Our auto-darkening welding helmet worked perfectly. About 90% of totality.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tartan427
posted Hide Post
Got a pretty good view here in Pittsburgh as the cloud cover disappeared at the right time. Only downside was I got a stiff neck from watching while sitting on the deck!

Posts: 655 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pa | Registered: January 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Oooooooh......Ahhhhhhhhh... Wink

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Trump campaign ad.

Big Grin

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I subbed at my youngest’s school today. When we walked out, he commented that it was dark out. Since we’re not anywhere near the total eclipse area, I completely forgot/ignored that it was today. I checked the internet and sure enough we happened to walk out at the peak in our area. It wasn’t much and I wouldn’t have noticed it if my son hadn’t said anything. The thing I really notice was the glare off cars and such was weird looking.

Posts: 11017 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
That was one awesome event! The power of the Sun and Moon is incredible! Smile

Posts: 794 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Totality in Indianapolis viewed from my driveway. Pretty cool. Not sure how bad the roads are afterwards. The Motor Speedway had 50,000 people. Bloomington had William Shatner speaking to the crowd.

After watching it, the whole worry about kids getting their eyes burned out by watching, and closing schools "out of an abundance of caution" is just absurd. Any day of the year, people can look at the sun and burn their eyes. They don't because it hurts and you can't look for more than an instant. The partial eclipse is still too bright to look at directly even with only 10% of the sun unblocked.

Every school that shut down should dock all administrators and faculty a day's pay. They just whined to get an extra 3-day weekend.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Eclipse! What eclipse??

Here in SoDak we were on the fringes anyway and we had cloud cover to boot, so if there was an eclipse we didn't notice. Yawn...

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We had perfect viewing here in the Pacific Ocean south of Cabo. Over 4 minutes of totality which seemed to go by really fast. We had two great "diamond rings", and could clearly see a solar flare towards the bottom. Yeah, totality is completely different than partial. Planets, a comet, the corona.

We were likely the first to see totality today, being at the beginning of the path. Well worth the trouble to get here.

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I thought about driving down to Ohio but had a prior engagement in the morning.
I think 93% here and took what I could get.
I do wish I had bought that solar filter for my 4.5" dob that I put off buying. Had to go w/ just the glasses.

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post

how to upload a photo on internet

This is the best shot I took from south of Grand Rapids, Michigan. It was underwhelming how bright the sky was when over 95% of the sun was obscured, but also showed just how powerful that fireball in the sky really is!!

Posts: 4454 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. We are just outside the path of totality, but I saw the 'diamond necklace' effect. I've got 20 years to get the right filter for my camera so I can get pics next time. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16191 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool here in Massachusetts. About 93%. Still bright out but an eerie sort of atmosphere to the light.

Now this is surely coincidence but this morning on my way to work (5:30 am) I almost hit 6 animals. 5 were birds. 3 in the middle of the street and 2 almost flew into my car. Then a bunny was running down the middle of the street. It’s a 50 minute drive and I’m sure just strange coincidence. But I was saying to myself “why the fuck are these animals trying to commit suicide. I wasn’t thinking about the eclipse at the time. Birds were particularly loud during the eclipse too.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Some pics from the eastern panhandle of WV.

The best I could do with the iPhone and a filter over the camera

A shot of the sun through a colander with round holes- kind of like a paper plate pin hole image

Really neat effect- check out all the crescent shapes in the image.
photo url

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33884 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post