SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2024 solar eclipse
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2024 solar eclipse Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
My guy was in Clarksville, TX. They got a well timed brief break in the clouds.

Yeah, we got a good break from 1pm until 2:30, just scattered clouds here east of Ft. Worth. I understand some parts of Texas in the path had complete cloud covering, sorry they has those conditions. But I feel bad for those camping in the dirt tonight, it rained really hard tonight.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16708 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I just don’t get all the hullabaloo?
There was one was I was kid, maybe 10 or so, we made these things to look at it with a couple of paper plates, then there was one a few years ago, people were driving and traveling to see it. I was working had those little glasses so I stopped and looked it.

Today, I watched The Joker and did not even bother going outside when it was happening.

Complete nonsense. Public schools were out and most private schools had early release.
What complete nonsense.

Have you ever seen one in totality? Until today, I didn't understand the difference. We were in the 90-ish% for the last one and did the glasses and all that. It was interesting, but nothing like what we saw today. I think the most amazing thing was the difference in the level of darkness between just a tiny sliver of the sun not being occluded by the moon, and the darkness at totality. Within a matter of seconds we went from what I would compare to an "early evening" level of daylight at 99% to basically nighttime at totality, with a just a fringe of twilight around the horizon. It was so dark that you could see stars, and you could look directly at the sun/moon without eye protection, and see the glow around the outside of the moon from the sun behind it. It was crazy how much light just a tiny sliver of the sun can produce compared to when it's completely blocked.

After viewing the last one from outside totality I had the same impression as you, that it was kind of interesting but no big deal. My wife had a class scheduled for today, and I have a busy week at work so we almost didn't make the drive to my parents'. Our house was supposed to be at 98% and I figured what's the point in driving 7 hours for 2% more? But it did seem like a good excuse to go see family, so last week we decided to move stuff around to make it happen. Both my wife and I were glad we did...it was totally worth it.

I was a bit worried about traffic for the drive home (ODOT had those portable signs up everywhere warning about heavy traffic for the eclipse), but it ended up being a complete non-issue. I barely even took the cruise control off for the whole 3.5 hour drive home. I didn't get any decent pics because all I had was my phone, but I'm kinda glad I didn't mess with taking my big camera. It was nice to be able to just look around and observe everything and not be messing with a camera setup. I don't know as I've ever seen a pic that does it justice, anyway.

Yeah in the first picture I posted you can see a star to the right of the sun/moon. I bet it is a planet, but would have to check. My wife got her doctoral degree today and defended her treatise and then drove to meet me and my mom to watch the eclipse, which turned out perfect. Great day all around.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/s.../1777493587925647795

Now that is different! I like it.

Who would have thought you don't need to look into deep space to find a black hole. Right here at home, it is. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26418 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Pics didn't do this one justice. Not even close.

The most indicative photo of the experience was this one, - from a small college campus in western PA. Sunrise in 360 degrees direction. Dark out (much darker than this pic portrays), and that big spooky moon above (as with any moon photo high above, it seemed much bigger than this pic portrays).

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
https://twitter.com/TheBabylon.../1777360046982066541

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://postimage.me/image/DSC01426.gbirl by

You'll have to excuse my ineptitude at posting images. This was east if Indianapolis, between Commerce and Dalton. As others have mentioned, there is a world of difference between totality and near totality, and it occurs within seconds. We drove 360 miles round trip and paid 30 bucks to park, it was well worth the effort.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
As others have mentioned, there is a world of difference between totality and near totality, and it occurs within seconds.

Yep.
We experienced totality in 2017. It was cool. This time, we were north of the path by 100 miles or so and it makes a big difference.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24128 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis with my brother and nephew to see this. I also wondered how much different could 94% vs. 100% be. It's literally the difference betweeen night and day. This was an experience of a lifetime. I attribute any doubt of that to ignorance. I've been in several eclipses in my lifetime, but never a total. I had no idea. There was an eclipse in 2017. If I had gone to that one, I would have insisted to everyone I know to take the day off of work, school, whatever to see this one. That 4 minutes was worth the 7.5 hour drive home.

Year V

Posts: 2632 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I drove from Chicago to Indianapolis with my brother and nephew to see this. I also wondered how much different could 94% vs. 100% be. It's literally the difference betweeen night and day. This was an experience of a lifetime. I attribute any doubt of that to ignorance. I've been in several eclipses in my lifetime, but never a total. I had no idea. There was an eclipse in 2017. If I had gone to that one, I would have insisted to everyone I know to take the day off of work, school, whatever to see this one. That 4 minutes was worth the 7.5 hour drive home.

Another covert. There is no describing the difference. People just say "send me a picture or I'll see it on line." It is not something you see, it's something you experience.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20828 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is definitely an experience. Birds go quiet, cattle lay down, frogs start chirping, the horizon glows. For a few moments after totality it looked like we were in a spotlight.

I have to give a shout out to Sigmonkey. I was debating whether to make the trip when I saw his advice that it was must-see event. It's extremely unlikely that I'll be around for another.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: NOCkid,

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Nice, Jim.

Big Grin

Honestly the last two had more coverage here, but I have yet to experience a total eclipse.

Now I have a reason to visit Australia. apparently they will get a few within the next decade.

Daughter will be old enough to appreciate it next time. If Hawaii is still there we will visit the observatory there on the way back.

Posts: 5147 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^^ Thanks Para. Eek
Having seen that, for some reason, I have the 2001: A Space Odyssey Theme song stuck in my head. Big Grin
It seems fitting.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:

Another covert. There is no describing the difference. People just say "send me a picture or I'll see it on line." It is not something you see, it's something you experience.

Totally! Well said. I only had to drive an hour, and I almost didn't because it seemed like it was going to be cloudy. Very grateful to my wife for pulling this all together. She'd planned it for months. We all got glasses in our Christmas stockings. The sky cleared just in time for the entire process. It was awesome!

Posts: 11391 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post

Posts: 22915 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I drove 3.5 hours roundtrip to get from 98% to 4 minutes of totality. Thought it was pretty cool. My pictures didn't turn out worth a darn. Will have a big barbecue and party on August 12, 2025 for the next one!

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1892 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post