SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What some divers found in a military-style backback...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What some divers found in a military-style backback... Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Well what the hell do you think they found? Note that this was in Texas. So which one of you guys was missing a Pro Carry II? The fun begins around 02:12...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that belonged to D.B. Cooper.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44456 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I just learned not to call the cops if I find a gun in a river.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12919 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ll bet one of the cops has a new (to them) Kimber Carry. That is some bs right there.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gun will be destroyed? You mean resold to the police get some revenue for it?

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

Me too. I'd be replacing the barrel though after a thorough detail strip and cleaning. Wink

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:

Me too. I'd be replacing the barrel though after a thorough detail strip and cleaning. Wink

But he "just took the bullet out, so it's safe now." 'Click' "Yuk, yuk."

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
Sooo many questions. $9? Chapstick? Car keys? ONE mag? Cocked and locked? Don’t think it’s been under water too long. Very strange.

Posts: 480 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Actually I bet we could spill a lot of EDC packs from members right here and find nearly identical loadouts.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I carry a tactical diaper bag like that every day...

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
Lost in a boating accident

Posts: 650 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That sucks it will be destroyed. I think that’s BS. He found it, it should be his. At worst, maybe a background check on him. But he’s right, it’s $1K, that should go to him.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Yep, I call bS on the destroyed part too.... are they going to destroy the money and other stuff in the pack?

Some LEO is going to clean that up and keep it.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What police department was that?

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Actually I bet we could spill a lot of EDC packs from members right here and find nearly identical loadouts.

Haha. More like 3 tourniquets, a bottle of booze, and at least 50 rounds of ammo! And the chapstick

Posts: 480 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:

You might end up with a gun used in a murder, not good if you were caught with it.

I think in most areas it is the law that you report a "found" gun.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I guess the guy who dropped it never had I.D. in the bag. I suppose the bag drifted in the current a while before settling somewhere.

I’d try to find the owner myself, as & if able, with what’s available. One does have vehicle keys that likely start his vehicle.

If I had reason to believe the gun was involved in a crime, yes, turn it in.

Just a month ago there is a homemade sign at a local carry-in launch, ‘lost gun’, with reward. Often one sets a shotgun(waterfowl hunting) down while unlocking the truck, loads up, then forgets. Not exactly the case posted above.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Stupid question, why not trace the gun to the owner and notify him they found his bag?

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3648 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:

You might end up with a gun used in a murder, not good if you were caught with it.

I think in most areas it is the law that you report a "found" gun.

I thought about this. There are only 9 states that require notification of a found gun. I don't live in one of those. These guys videoed the entire process. They pretty clearly recovered the gun from the river. I mean, it could be an elaborate ruse, but the KISS principal applies, so they have a really good defense if something turns out amiss.

I would either have a lawyer call in the number on my behalf, or I would take it to a pawn shop to "see what they would give me for it". They would call it in. If stolen, then we collectively call the cops, of not, "well, I think I'll keep it for now." This would ensure that if it was reported lost or stolen, the rightful owner gets it back.

In order for a gun to be a "murder gun" or "crime gun" it has to be tied to a criminal event in some way. That means, a confession ("I threw it in the river with my bag and $9"); a witness statement ("I saw him throw it in the river in a dark bag after he shot that guy"); or testing through the bullet database that jljones comments on periodically, and even that won't tell you much. If there is no nexus to a crime, then there is no way to identify a gun as one that was involved in a crime.

The facts in this case look a lot like an accidental loss. Not many criminals would fling bag, money, ammo, magazines, and car keys into the river. They'd either just fling the gun, or a smart one might just fling the barrel.

On balance, therefore, I would not personally be calling the cops and turning it in.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12919 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
Stupid question, why not trace the gun to the owner and notify him they found his bag?

The recovering dept may very well be doing that. A query to ATF is emailed and they search records to find where it was shipped from the manufacturer. Then they tell ATF where it was sent to (FFL dealer). Then ATF calls the FFL and asks a trace. The dealer has to go thru his records and calls the ATF back and gives the info from the form the buyer filled out. Then an ATF agent goes to the last address and the investigation continues...but regular people are not required to keep records of how or who they sold the gun to...only a few states require registration so these are usually fruitless.

The take away is that ATF can find where the gun was sold the first time....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11457 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post