SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What some divers found in a military-style backback...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What some divers found in a military-style backback... Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by gjgalligan:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ArtieS:

The facts in this case look a lot like an accidental loss. Not many criminals would fling bag, money, ammo, magazines, and car keys into the river.

Another thought is that it belongs to a body down stream someplace, accidental or other wise.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4226 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe a military-style backpack?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Perhaps due to laws in other states I would handle it differently, but around here the only thing I would do is provide the police with the serial number and let them run it.

If it came back reported, then they can have it.

I can't think of any logical reason that the police need to have physical possession of something not reported stolen "just in case" somebody reports it missing. Notice they didn't ask for the bag, money, watch, or other items. Why not? Aren't those items also "lost"?

As far as Texas goes, according to this attorney:

https://www.rtoddbennettpc.com...-in-the-street.shtml

quote:
According to the Texas Property Code, personal property is considered to be abandoned if, after three years, you have been unable to find the original owner, or no claim has been initiated asserting ownership of it. Once that time passes, you are legally entitled to assume ownership of it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd also have the number run. For all they know, I'm running it for a potential sale. If it comes back clean, it's mine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder why they open the bag, baggies, etc. uderwater (appears to be in shallow water) rather than taking it to shore?

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
With all the filming, I don’t see a lot of good options besides turning it in.

I don’t think you can ‘just run the number’. Yes I know there is a site that offers lookup for some guns reported stolen or missing. How would you go to the police to run the number? They will ask, want to see, then take the gun.

I also think owners have varying degrees of record keeping, as in serial number on file. They may have it in some paperwork or on a box, maybe.

Posts: 6386 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I don't think all my guns lost in a boating accident in the Gulf, could have drifted into an Arizona river, but that is a very nice Kimber.

It's funny how the gun freaks him out. "It was loaded and cocked!" - he obviously doesn't know much about 1911 pistols.

Posts: 8879 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
With all the filming, I don’t see a lot of good options besides turning it in.

I don’t think you can ‘just run the number’. Yes I know there is a site that offers lookup for some guns reported stolen or missing. How would you go to the police to run the number? They will ask, want to see, then take the gun.

I also think owners have varying degrees of record keeping, as in serial number on file. They may have it in some paperwork or on a box, maybe.

I once called a local PD with a serial number from a Winchester 30-30 I was interested in buying. They ran it for me, no questions asked. It’s not outside the realm of possibilities.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15789 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
40 or 45 years ago one of my friends was a local cop.. He had the most impressive collection of switch blade knives I've ever seen. All confiscated from local high school kids and from fights at bars in the evenings. His explanation was its not legal for a citizen to own such a thing. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that it was kept due to age of finder?

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the video at the 6:00 minute mark there seems
to be a drivers license or id card lying on
the ground among all the other items.
any ideas about that?
regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All chaps, no jeans
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
It seemed, as others pointed out, that the diver had located some identification in that backpack... I’m not sure what bothered me more, how the diver handled (not) returning the find, cash and all (and the gun will, in all likelihood, be appropriated by some police officer) or the way the diver pulled the trigger while pointing the gun towards the opposite river bank. In the end, he did “the right thing” by turning the gun over to the police.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
If you find a gun, turn it in. You don't want to buy the kind of trouble that comes with it.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37170 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I noticed that. Just didn't think anyone else would. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
So, why didn't this dumb cluck wait until he was ashore to start unloading the bag?

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I'm pretty sure that is a 5.11 'push' pack. I have one in OD myself (not my pic).

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

I'm pretty sure that is a 5.11 'push' pack. I have one in OD myself (not my pic).

There's that, too. Smile

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16886 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gascan:
It seemed, as others pointed out, that the diver had located some identification in that backpack... I’m not sure what bothered me more, how the diver handled (not) returning the find, cash and all (and the gun will, in all likelihood, be appropriated by some police officer) or the way the diver pulled the trigger while pointing the gun towards the opposite river bank. In the end, he did “the right thing” by turning the gun over to the police.

Actually those guys do try to return anything they can. They probably didn't show it in this video, focusing on the gun. They've returned several iPhones...

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."