SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone know anything about pager networks?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone know anything about pager networks? Login/Join 
The Ice Cream Man
posted
The odd part of me likes the idea of an encrypted 2 way pager and Myrtle recently stopped its pager service. Anyone know how much it costs to run a pager network? (I'm guessing its too expensive and the bandwidth has been sold for something else, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows anything about them)

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I don't see how there would be any benefit in using a separate network instead of just sending encrypted data over the existing cellular internet network. That's the premise behind apps like Signal and Telegraph.

It's all just data over radio.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking what at one time was the pager bandwidth was overlayed and became the current generation of texting bandwidth. Kind of similar to the D channel back in the ISDN circuits. 3G networks are slowly being dismantled and that may have had Myrtle making the decisions for them. The best pager that I had was made by Sony. I didn't want to let it go.

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I have a pager for work when I'm on call. It is getting more limited as far as service and more difficult to replace the pagers. They are all required to be one-way, also.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17305 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I don't see how there would be any benefit in using a separate network instead of just sending encrypted data over the existing cellular internet network.

this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pager networks use 1000 watts of power per tower. There are one way and two-way pagers. Most cell towers use less than 100. High ones in rural areas can be up to 500 watts.

Over a million pagers still in use mostly medical and first responders.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Pagers don't have GPS chips, TMK - or did not. All phones track your location at all times.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post