SIGforum
Anyone know anything about pager networks?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9810069354

February 26, 2019, 04:18 PM
Aglifter
Anyone know anything about pager networks?
The odd part of me likes the idea of an encrypted 2 way pager and Myrtle recently stopped its pager service. Anyone know how much it costs to run a pager network? (I'm guessing its too expensive and the bandwidth has been sold for something else, but I thought I'd see if anyone knows anything about them)
February 26, 2019, 05:47 PM
maladat
I don't see how there would be any benefit in using a separate network instead of just sending encrypted data over the existing cellular internet network. That's the premise behind apps like Signal and Telegraph.

It's all just data over radio.
February 26, 2019, 06:16 PM
.38supersig
Thinking what at one time was the pager bandwidth was overlayed and became the current generation of texting bandwidth. Kind of similar to the D channel back in the ISDN circuits. 3G networks are slowly being dismantled and that may have had Myrtle making the decisions for them. The best pager that I had was made by Sony. I didn't want to let it go.

February 26, 2019, 08:07 PM
flesheatingvirus
I have a pager for work when I'm on call. It is getting more limited as far as service and more difficult to replace the pagers. They are all required to be one-way, also.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
February 26, 2019, 09:48 PM
radioman
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I don't see how there would be any benefit in using a separate network instead of just sending encrypted data over the existing cellular internet network.

this.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!
February 27, 2019, 05:19 PM
sig2392
Pager networks use 1000 watts of power per tower. There are one way and two-way pagers. Most cell towers use less than 100. High ones in rural areas can be up to 500 watts.

Over a million pagers still in use mostly medical and first responders.
March 01, 2019, 10:18 AM
Aglifter
Pagers don't have GPS chips, TMK - or did not. All phones track your location at all times.