SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fatal ND at KY gun shop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal ND at KY gun shop Login/Join 
posted
This was on July 1st but I just read about it.

https://www.wkyt.com/2024/07/0...under-investigation/

Deadly shooting at Kentucky gun store under investigation

By WKYT News Staff
Published: Jul. 1, 2024 at 2:56 PM CDT

CARROLTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Kentucky State Police is investigating a deadly shooting at a gun store.

KSP says they were contacted by the Carroll County Sheriff’s Office reporting a shooting at a gun store at Whites Run Road on Saturday evening.

Upon arrival, they say they located the victim inside the store undergoing treatment by EMS for a gunshot wound.

KSP’s preliminary investigation indicates that a customer in the store was viewing a firearm for sale and manipulating it when a single round discharged, striking the victim, who was also in the store.

Other store patrons immediately attempted life-saving measures.

The victim was transported to the hospital, where he died from his injuries.

The victim was identified as 50-year-old Chad Wainscott from Worthville.

KSP says the person who was handling the firearm is cooperating with investigators, and witnesses at the scene have been interviewed.

They say at this time, no foul play is suspected, and no charges are pending.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Posts: 16001 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
100% on the store for not inspecting the weapon before letting the customer handle it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
"Treat every gun as if it were loaded."

"Always keep a gun pointed in a safe direction."

Posts: 9232 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
100% on the store for not inspecting the weapon before letting the customer handle it.

Blame game right off the reel. Gets old. Roll Eyes

And yes, if it was one of theirs, they should of.
But still. Do we have to blame someone for everything all the time.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Always inspect personally and always point it in safe direction.
More than the store are responsible, IMO.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
As an FFL, I’d say the gun store has extra responsibility to ensure the firearm is not loaded. I cannot think of a good reason for a firearm in a gun store to be loaded anyway.

If it were a range where an instructor was training someone, perhaps.

Posts: 4217 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Oh, I think there was plenty of fail to go around.
quote:
100%? No blame for the customer finger-fucking the gun and pointing it at somebody? By that standard Alec Baldwin should be off the hook. After all, he (presumably) assumed the gun was unloaded because it had been (again presumably, he thought) checked previously.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28586 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
If we're 100% blaming Alec Baldwin, I think we need to do the same here. Although I do agree, the store does have some liability here too.

ETA: egregore beat me by >< that much!

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3347 | Location: Grapevine TX/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Tragic but as a customer I both always clear a firearm when given to me and when returned to the employee and after asking to dryfire I only do so in a safe direction.

If we could just ingrain clearing a firearm upon every change of hands that would go a long way to prevent accidents.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7846 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Just like in the Baldwin case where the set armorer has all ready been convicted, the store and the customer both have responsibility for this.

The only difference I can think of is on the movie set everyone was supposedly briefed on procedures for handling the weapons on the set while we don't know if the customer has ever heard of any kind of rules of gun safety.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3894 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:

Well, it didn't just go off by itself! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Well is surely isn't the victim's fault now is it?
Lets see. Correct me if I'm wrong, no loaded firearms are to be in the build unless in the shooting range.
And always keep the firearm pointed in a safe direction.

That cartridge didn't just get in there all by itself now did it Alec?

And yes, we should point out the follies of others and hold them accountable every damn time.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39860 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Sometimes gun store employees try to hand me closed guns without checking or opening the chamber. It can be a tough call, as one time I asked the counter man to open a 45 before he handed it to me, and he proceeded to point the pistol at my belly while he opened the damn slide, stupid fuck. If I was a gun store owner I would not keep an employee that was stupid enough to fail that common sense practice.

In this case it looks like the gun shop is gonna have to bear some damages since one would expect the gun store counter person to have good knowledge and 100% dependable muscle memory for properly handling ALL of the guns he is selling.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Every person who touched the firearm has a portion of responsibility.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Every person who touched the firearm has a portion of responsibility.

Exactly.
Just like with Alec Baldwin. Ir was his job to inspect his weapon/prop. The armorer should have inspected it before she gave it to him too.
The clerk should have cleared the chamber before handing it to the customer.
The customer should have checked the chamber. THe ONLY thing that would allow not inspecting the chamber is if they had no prior firearms training or experience. Then it's up to the clerk.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39860 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're goddammed right I will.

I stand by my statement.

Every disaster has a chain of events and the employee is the last link in that chain before it was handed to the customer. The customer SHOULD have checked it, but it is 100% on the store to ensure the weapon is not loaded.

I check every weapon I'm handed after an employee checks it, but I kinda have a little experience. Evidently that customer didn't.

Store, 100%.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34365 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
When an innocent bystander's life is taken, yeah, blame must be assigned.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You're goddammed right I will.

I stand by my statement.

Every disaster has a chain of events and the employee is the last link in that chain before it was handed to the customer. The customer SHOULD have checked it, but it is 100% on the store to ensure the weapon is not loaded.

I check every weapon I'm handed after an employee checks it, but I kinda have a little experience. Evidently that customer didn't.

Store, 100%.

We don’t know this with the information given.

It is possible the person handling the gun was a complete numb nuts and thought it was a good idea to see if the magazine he had in his pocket would fit the gun.

Even if that is not the case there is still some blame on the person who actually pulled the trigger.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25646 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I was handed a Beretta Bobcat .22 at a gun show by a dealer. When I tipped the barrel up to inspect it, i discovered a round in the chamber and saw a loaded mag in it. The dealer turned white as a sheet. Every gun is loaded, always.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15780 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The times I’ve handled a gun at a shop, gunshow, or friend’s house, I always point it in a safe direction while doing so. This could be the floor, ceiling, or towards a corner, with respect to ricocheting.

This is without any finger near the trigger.

If a routine showing, the counter person should have opened the action before handing the gun over. Of course I don’t know all the details here.

Posts: 6377 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post