SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fatal ND at KY gun shop
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fatal ND at KY gun shop Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Everyone is blaming the gun shop. They are forgetting that customers can be inconsiderate MORON"s who will slip a round into the gun to check for how it feeds. Point is Stupid is can fall on BOTH sides of the counter.

As for myself I was taught that 100% of the time when someone hands you a firearm you ALWAYS open the Action/Cylinder and look for yourself. It doesn't matter a bit if the person handing the gun did the same just before passing it to you. A gun isn't empty until your own eyes have looked in the chamber and magazine if it has a magazine present.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, my wife and I went to a gun show in Orlando. Waiting in line at the entrance, we were behind a real cool dude from the 'hood.

We got up to the table where cops were checking any firearms that were being brought in. Homie pulls out his Glock, ejects the magazine (which did not have any rounds in it), and says to the cop, "It's empty, yo."

Cop takes Homie's Glock, pulls the slide back, and we all watch a cartridge go sailing through the air.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:

I check every weapon I'm handed after an employee checks it ...

Store, 100%.

So if it is 100 per cent the store then why would you check it? Confused

No matter how mad you are at the store, the result could have been avoided if the customer (who fired) checked it or practiced safe conduct (checking, pointing, finger, etc).

That won't absolve the store from any legal liability but that isn't the question.
No doubt if you are applying blame by percentage ~ it would be more than 50%, IMO.
Even if it was 99%/1% ~ outcome could have been different if the shooter acted responsibly.

Saying it is 100 % store is ridiculous as ultimately we are all responsible for our own actions.

AGAIN, this should not have happened but apply a little common sense here. Eek

Posts: 23257 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With just a single news citation/source, hard to say how or, what happened other than:
- Customer was handling gun owned by the shop
- Gun was loaded...not sure when or, how this happend
- Gun was pointed at shop employee, who was shot and unfortunately died

Gun shop employees have a lot to be responsible for, not only demonstrating that a weapon is unloaded before letting a customer handling it but, assessing if that customer is competent and genuine in their shopping. They're responsible for the safety environment, the customer may be a first-timer or, an experienced person with unsafe habits. Employee has every right to slow-down the interaction or stop it, making sure the customer knows the basic safety rules and sniffs-out any questionable behaviors.
Was the employee careless? Was the customer a carelessly-naive? Who did what...we don't know.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
100% Blame on store is if did/does not have a concrete written, enforced safety plan regarding every firearm and each step as to how they are to be handled, with appropriate training and documentation of training naming trainer/trainee, date and time, checked.

100% blame each for anyone in that store that handled that firearm, from the moment the store took custody of it to the time it was handed to the customer that fired it.

100% blame on the customer that took possession of it, even if they never saw a gun before, they know it's potential, and should have asked to ensure it was safe for them to handle.

The idea that there is only a finite amount of responsibility and it mush be divided evenly or "fairly" amongst all parties involved is illogical.

25 people could have been involved in this, and each of them could have 100% taken action to prevent it.

In a lifetime long ago and far away, I have dealt with systems that have the capacity to kill millions of people in an instant, and you can better believe everything I stated above is realistic and doable.

No one should be unintentionally shot and killed by a stranger when prevention is a simple matter.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Are we positive this wasn’t a customer’s gun that came into the store loaded that was being handled? Also, I wonder if the customer is the one that loaded the round. If the gun was handed to the customer loaded, then the shop should be crucified. Even when the clerk looks at a gun before he hands it to me in a shop I check for myself. Even after once I for myself, if I’m going to dry fire it I check again before I pull the trigger.

Posts: 3037 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
"...preliminary investigation indicates that a customer in the store was viewing a firearm for sale..."

No, we cannot be positive, we only have the reported story, and we all know how that can be 50 shades of truth.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44507 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Twenty years ago gun show at Hara Arena in Dayton OH. Entered and went to far end to start.
A minute later, BANG! Two or three hundred people and for five seconds you could hear a pin drop.
15 minutes later the PA announced guy was on his way to jail, bullet grazed a womans leg.

Posts: 1349 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
100% on the store for not inspecting the weapon before letting the customer handle it.
And 100% on the handler for accepting it without seeing it cleared and handed to him/her locked open, then verifying that it’s unloaded himself/herself.

Additionally, 100% on the handler for breaking two other fundamental rules: “Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy.” and “Keep your finger off the trigger and surgically attached to your safety spot on the frame (or slide) until you have made a conscious decision to fire.

Posts: 7106 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
As an FFL, I’d say the gun store has extra responsibility to ensure the firearm is not loaded. I cannot think of a good reason for a firearm in a gun store to be loaded anyway.

If it were a range where an instructor was training someone, perhaps.
My carry guns are always loaded. I do not unload them, nor do I store them before entering a gun store. Would you not consider concealed carry to be a good reason for a loaded gun to be in a gun store?

Posts: 7106 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Damn that’s sad, I bet the guy messing with the gun feels like shit.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
And where was Alec Baldwin at the time ?

I heard he moved to Kentucky to get away from the spotlight…

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2570 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:
100% on the store for not inspecting the weapon before letting the customer handle it.
And 100% on the handler for accepting it without seeing it cleared and handed to him/her locked open, then verifying that it’s unloaded himself/herself.

Additionally, 100% on the handler for breaking two other fundamental rules: “Never allow the muzzle to cover anything you are not willing to destroy.” and “Keep your finger off the trigger and surgically attached to your safety spot on the frame (or slide) until you have made a conscious decision to fire.

Treat the customer as if he knows NOTHING about weapons.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34427 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In all the years I have been "shoping" in a gun store I have never been handed a weapon that did not already have the slide locked back, with an inspected chamber or an open revolver.

Never.

Posts: 369 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
quote:

Treat the customer as if he knows NOTHING about weapons.

I was very much in the camp of why didn't customer clear the weapon, and then pull the trigger pointing in an unsafe direction, but this is a great point. I think we as firearm enthusiasts and beyond have all the safety concerns basically cemented in our brain, it’s not even a thought it’s instinct. Gun stores, though, should treat everyone as if they don’t know anything. They should take extra precaution because there are people that are brand new to firearms who have never held one or ever heard anything about firearm safety.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2570 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I don't venture into gun stores often but when I have, I typically see signs which state:

-keep all holstered guns in their holster
-please check in guns in cases with a staff member

I have brought a cased gun in for installation of sights. I set the case on the counter and most of the time, the staff member simply asks, "may I clear it first?" and they clear it.

Trust but verify.

Posts: 13321 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Or we could wait for the investigation to be concluded after all evidence is gathered and witnesses identified to render a decision.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38297 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Or we could wait for the investigation to be concluded after all evidence is gathered and witnesses identified to render a decision.

No goddammit this is the fucking internet and we demand non-evidentiary, inconclusive results now! Fuck em all and let god sort em kind of thing.

The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

You must be new here.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3908 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
"may I clear it first - so i don't shoot that guy standing over there - ?"

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post