SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef? Login/Join 
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
My sister won't eat any beef that's not brown/gray in color. I cut the end piece off and nuke it for about 45 seconds everyone is happy.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7651 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
OK, I'd like to add the nonsense about cutting a steak with a fork. In all these years I've never seen that or been able to. Never, even once. Ever wonder why even the better restaurants set places with knives, forks, and spoons? Those who say they can cut their steak with a fork probably haven't ever been to a better restaurant. Or tried to cut a steak with a fork. They're just repeating what they've heard others say. Try it sometime, you'll fail miserably.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Before serving, call out for those well-done'ers to determine how much meat to set aside.

leave the oven on and those who want well done,give them the ends and throw their slices in the oven for a few minutes.

Posts: 7443 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
While I don't like tough overcook beef I don't like running blood. Med-rare to med is my preference. Nice and pink but warm and no running blood. As to how you satisfy personal preferences that vary from near raw to shoe leather can be a problem if you have guests that range form the near raw to extra well done. Thankfully most people don't fall into those extremes. Seams most like it just past pink (well done) to pink with a little running blood. Most of this can be accommodated by simply resting a bit longer under foil, or a quick zap in the MW.

Now pork... I don't care what they say about how safe it is to have rare pork, I just can't get my head around that. Zero pink and absolutely no blood on any cut of pork for me. Mock me if you will but I like a little "chew" with my pork and that's how I've always had it and I'm not changing now, trichinosis or not.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm one of the horrible people who likes meat well done. We cook it medium and then toss a chunk in the toaster oven set to broil for a few minutes. Worked for decades so far.

Posts: 2220 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
OK, I'd like to add the nonsense about cutting a steak with a fork. In all these years I've never seen that or been able to. Never, even once.
...Try it sometime, you'll fail miserably.

A properly cooked steak can't be cut with a fork because it should have a crust on it.

However, a nice piece of A5 Wagyu can be cut with a fork. Just the heat of your finger touching it will cause it to start melting. Placing a piece on your tongue will cause it to literally melt in your mouth

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14248 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
I once cooked a large brisket low and slow for 16 hours and after it was sliced one of my guests was poking around at the platter looking for "the well done" part. I think what he was after was burned ends so I dug that out of the scrap pan and he was happy once he poured gravy on it so he could chew it.

All of our meat is cooked on the smoker. I cut the portions off for those who want well done meat, whether roasts or burgers or steaks, and leave it on the grate while the medium rare is resting. I found that two additional minutes per side at 425 degrees will turn a nice medium rare into a medium well done.

I grew up on a farm with a feed lot where we raised USDA Prime beef. My Mom was of the old school and would cook a prime steak to the consistency of shoe leather. They had been taught in the early part of the 20th century to cook everything, especially pork and poultry, well done as a food safety measure. Once I learned about medium rare beef I never turned back. I have found that the preference for the doneness of meat is as much cultural as anything. To each his own, bon apetite' and Merry Christmas!

quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Short version:
  • I agree with the other posters that you should make a good faith effort to cook beef to guest's desired doneness and not try to force your preferences on guests.
  • I also agree with the other posters who say cook the roast to desired doneness on the low end (e.g. medium-rare) and then use grill or skillet to sear slices to well done.

Long version:
    I've been reverse searing steaks for years, but all of my guests have always liked medium-rare like me. I smoke on BGE at 225 until they're approx 121 internally and then sear until 131 internally in a sautee pan that has been preheated to 400F.

Most of 2019, I've been seeing a gal who likes medium-well steaks and it took a little experimenting to get it right. All of this is with Prime Grade NY Strip that are 12 to 16 oz:
  • first tried searing hers longer. Took way too long to go from 121 to 145.
  • second tried putting hers on the BGE 20 minutes early. My steak nearly caught up (I suspect hers hit the "stall" temperature which allowed mine to catch up) and hers still took way too long to go from 121 to 145.
  • third tried cutting hers into 3 pieces. I pulled her steak pieces and my steak when mine hit 121. Mine still seared to 131 faster than hers seared to 145. However, I was close.
  • all subsequent times. Cut hers into 3 pieces, place hers over the openings in the BGE's platesetter (ceramic insert for indirect grilling/smoking between fire and cooking grate), place mine dead center over the placesetter, and pulled all steak when mine hit 121. Her steak pieces seared to 145 at almost the same time mine sears to 131. Her steak is still juicy and tasty, but it's not as good as mine. In other words, with a little practice and skill you can make good but not great medium-well steaks.

If I were to cook us either a lean roast (e.g. sirloin roast) or fattier roast (e.g. prime rib) I'd still go for low-n-slow on the BGE. My skillets' coatings are oven safe to 400F and have removable silicone protectors over the handles so I'd preheat a skillet in 400F oven while the roast was on the BGE. Once the roast hits 128 to 130, I'd pull it and slice off enough for her dinner and foil tent the rest of the roast. I'd put the preheated skillet on a burner, spray skillet with my high heat avocado oil spray, and sear her slices until 145. I'd plate hers, slice a slab of the medium-rare for me, and serve dinner. We'd likely both be happy.

• You two Gentlemen are obviously, well Gentlemen! Putting in the extra effort to please your guests, so that they enjoy their meal, and their visit, which is why you invited them over in the first place! It's apparent that you are both superior hosts....Surely your friendship and hospitality are cherished by your friends & guests. Cool

I say Bravo, and Merry Christmas! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
    Trump 2024....Save America!
    "May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
    Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9434 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    I send them out to Golden Corral.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by oddball:
    Years ago, my wife and I kinda gave up on serving a beef roast to a group, which we have done multiple times in the past. Mainly prime rib, and a few filet/tenderloin roasts. I consider myself a good cook, friends love my food, and I enjoy cooking for a group, but roasts are a big hassle. More than any other food, folks are very particular about their steaks/slices of roast.

Tomorrow, we are having prime filet steaks, each grilled to the person's preference. Far easier, less stress, and everyone gets a slab to their liking.

I do the same with filet steaks, my group ranges from rare to well done. Timing the steaks to coincide with the crab leg boil can be a little trickier. I usually have 2 grills going simultaneously for the steaks and 2 propane turkey boilers going for the crab legs. Merry Christmas

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Repressed
    Picture of ShneaSIG
    posted Hide Post
    I had a hot pan on the stove. For my guests who wanted their cut cooked a bit more, I gave them end slices and seared it in the pan with about a tablespoon of butter and a dash of salt and pepper. They seemed pleased.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SevenPlusOne
    posted Hide Post
    You guys cook meat before you eat it?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4634 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Little ray
    of sunshine
    Picture of jhe888
    posted Hide Post
    Burn some hamburger patties. They won't know the difference.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posting without pants
    Picture of KevinCW
    posted Hide Post
    In all seriousness, I just cook it more after slicing it, or if individual cuts cook them longer.

And those that want it overdone I will probably change the menu next time I entertain them so as to not waste an expensive cut of meat on them.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Skins2881:
    quote:
    Originally posted by MNSIG:
    You could probably cut a few slices off the ends when you are down to about 30 minutes and let them cook alongside the rest of the roast. Exposing the thin slices on both sides would get them to well done pretty quickly.

This will result in a dried out and ruined roast. Don't do this.

Cook as normal and then destroy only the slices that need to be well done. Either a grill or a hot skillet can be used.

This, but they want well done, I'd just throw theirs in the microwave!!!! If you turn the oven up to the broil setting after pulling the entire roast, then just throw their slices back in the oven for a few minutes should get them well done.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of SeaCliff
    posted Hide Post
    Ok, I'm one.
    Last week took friend to a nice dinner and I ordered my Fillet Mignon butterflied and well done. Yummy thou.

Posts: 1899 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Muzzle flash
    aficionado
    Picture of flashguy
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by KevinCW:
    And those that want it overdone I will probably change the menu next time I entertain them so as to not waste an expensive cut of meat on them.
    You are being a food snob. Those of us who prefer our meat well done do not consider it "overdone"--that is merely your opinion (along with many other food snobs). Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Dinosaur
    Picture of P210
    posted Hide Post
    Give them fruit while theirs stays in the oven longer as everyone else is being served if you really care. I don’t encourage needy guests myself.

Posts: 6960 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Blume9mm
    posted Hide Post
    I have a lot of comments about the original post as well as some of the replies but will reframe.. and here is why...

this may freak some of you out...

Even though I like my beef rare.... I usually before starting to cook it eat some of it raw... been doing this for over 45 years..
    Y'all don't know what you are missing.

My Native American Name:
    "Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of fpuhan
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Blume9mm:
    Even though I like my beef rare.... I usually before starting to cook it eat some of it raw... been doing this for over 45 years..
    Y'all don't know what you are missing.

Ah, Steak Tartare, one of my favorites! Or Carpaccio, a variation on the theme.

For years, you couldn't get this in a restaurant because of "health regulations." Now, as long as health inspectors approve the preparation area and utensils... (or, make it yourself, like I do).

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Certified All Positions
    Picture of arcwelder
    posted Hide Post
    I like sushi, raw beef done right is delicious.

However, if you're going to cook it, you need to do more than warm it, and you should stop before time and temperature begin destroying it. Sous vide, smoking, crock pots, lots of ways to go low and slow.

When you venture into "well done" territory and beyond.. To each his own I suppose. It seems to me that such is somewhere between mental illness and a war crime, at best you're disrespecting the animal who gave its life for you.

Arc.
    "You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post