SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do you satisfy your guests that want WELL DONE Roast Beef? Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
More than anything, I want my guests to enjoy themselves. If that means cooking their beef past the point where I like it, then so be it. If I care enough to invite them over I also care enough to want them to enjoy their food.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder:
It seems to me that such is somewhere between mental illness and a war crime, at best you're disrespecting the animal who gave its life for you.

ARC, did you just tell us that we're between a war criminal and mentally ill because we don't like our beef cooked the way you prefer it? I'd suggest you go back and rethink your position.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18394 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
It seems to me that such is somewhere between mental illness and a war crime, at best you're disrespecting the animal who gave its life for you.

ARC, did you just tell us that we're between a war criminal and mentally ill because we don't like our beef cooked the way you prefer it? I'd suggest you go back and rethink your position.
I'm with rburg! I'm the one who has to eat it, and I want it the way I like it. Your opinion is condescending. I don't say folks who like their beef rare (or raw) are barbarians or cavemen, and I think I can expect the same politeness from others.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
at best you're disrespecting the animal who gave its life for you.

Perhaps naive, but I haven’t given any thought to the risk of being cannibalized - at least since watching TV as a child. Thus, I’m not sure that I would have any great preference to the manner in which I was ingested.

Dead is dead.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Relax, guys. Did you skip over the "to each his own" part? Seems so. Doesn't it seem ludicrous someone would suggest such things? Why include a GOT clip? Could it be someone isn't serious?

Hmmmm.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the record Arc, I was simply speaking on behalf of the menu item, not of the diner nor cook. Smile

That said, your “to each his own” was perhaps struggling to stay afloat in the midst of your overall passage. Somewhat akin to neutering “I’m sorry” with a succeeding “,but” - which I’m often guilty of.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between expressing an opinion, and telling someone they can't do something. There is also humor. Why so serious?

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two good ways to satisfy the guests:

1. Entire roast (or prime rib) slow cooked to rare-medium rare. Drain off some au jus from the roasting pan into a skillet, keep that skillet on the range top, and use that to quickly bring a rare slice to medium rare, medium, or well done. This is how many better restaurants do it.

2. On the gas grill or charcoal grill, place the slices on leaves of lettuce while the heat completes cooking to the desired degree. The lettuce prevents scorching and leaves no grill marks. Quick and easy.

Either way we must still begin with a good slow roasted slab of meat. I like to crank the oven up to 500F first, give the roast about 20 minutes or so to sear well around the exterior (this seals the exterior and keeps the interior moisture content high), then cover the pan and finish cooking at 250F or so for 2 to 3 hours before meal time. Finished interior temperature at 120-130F is very good and assures a fully cooked piece of meat, even when served rather rare.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1110 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I cook the end of the roast the way they like, and then?

I just slip the Sarcocystis bradyzoites into their gravy, while making sure the gravy temp doesn't reach 165°F.

No reason they should miss out.

Smile

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33037 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Came in to post that meme. Med rare for me, bit closer to med for my wife. Took a few years to move her to med from hockey puck territory.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15980 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Success with wireless meat thermometer.
Slow roasted for 7 hours. Cut 4 slices and placed back in for 30 minutes.
Internal temperature 130
20 pound roast

Posts: 2370 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Came in to post that meme. Med rare for me, bit closer to med for my wife. Took a few years to move her to med from hockey puck territory.
There you go again! [/Reagan voice] A properly cooked medium-well or well-done steak does not have to be like a hockey puck--if it is, the cook doesn't know what he/she is doing. Granted, it won't be as "juicy" as one not as fully cooked, but that is usually what is desired by those wanting the meat well done--it's not a flaw, but an advantage.

I'm sorry if I'm giving your (perhaps) humorous statements more seriousness than you intended, but I am pretty much a "literal" person and I do take a certain amount of offense about this. (I'm not going to get violent or even call names, but do feel some slight about it.) Of course, I can take a joke about it:

IMG_7383
by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I learn who they are and do not invite them.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
There you go again! [/Reagan voice] A properly cooked medium-well or well-done steak does not have to be like a hockey puck--if it is, the cook doesn't know what he/she is doing. Granted, it won't be as "juicy" as one not as fully cooked, but that is usually what is desired by those wanting the meat well done--it's not a flaw, but an advantage.

I'm sorry if I'm giving your (perhaps) humorous statements more seriousness than you intended, but I am pretty much a "literal" person and I do take a certain amount of offense about this. (I'm not going to get violent or even call names, but do feel some slight about it.) Of course, I can take a joke about it

flashguy

It is/was her way of describing a well done steak, not mine. She likes her hot dogs a bit crispy as well.
No offense taken, we all have different tastes, obviously.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15980 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is/was her way of describing a well done steak, not mine. She likes her hot dogs a bit crispy as well.
Me, too! Smile

flashguy

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’m in the “I serve it how my guest likes it” camp.

I do a family prime rib every year at Christmas. Sous Vide at 132.5 deg, this year it was a 14lb roast and it spent 20 hours in the tub.

Open the bag, drain off the juices into a skillet to use as an jus to bring individual slices up to temp for those who don’t want medium-rare.

Pat it dry and into the oven on broil for 15 minutes for a seat.

Came out a perfect medium-rare. Slice and serve, 30 seconds to a minute or so in the au jus for any wanting it medium or more.

Oh, and for the record - it could be cut with a fork if you wanted to, not as easily as cake but possible.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
More than anything, I want my guests to enjoy themselves. If that means cooking their beef past the point where I like it, then so be it. If I care enough to invite them over I also care enough to want them to enjoy their food.

This is me.

All said I’ve ruined a slice of meat to make a sister happy.

Hopefully I know in advance so there’s no fancy beef waiting.

Merry freakin’ Christmas, y’all.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12670 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
In the interest of fairness and pleasing one's guests, can someone post a recipe/method for cooking a tasty, well done filet mignon? Of all the beef cooking methods I've ever seen on SIGforum, and there's been at least 20, I've not seen one for well done steak. Anytime I've cook a steal well done, it was by mistake and not enjoyable.

My wife has a friend who likes well done steak and I'd like to accommodate her as best I can.

Posts: 11610 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I get sick of the bloody and rare crowd. They are as annoying as the vegetarian or sushi person. We get it. You eat raw meat. We are all impressed. The rest of us have evolved from the cave man and after the discovery of fire, we prefer our food to be cooked. But thanks for making a spectacle of yourself by demanding everyone should eat raw, bloody meat.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8009 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post