SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Two words. Apple. Fritters
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two words. Apple. Fritters Login/Join 
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
A chicago DJ I have listened to since I was in jr high has been extolling the virtues of apple fritters for about a year now. Supposed to be an great place in Battle Creek MI for them. Funny you should post this now, as said DJ just claimed responsibility for bringing these back a few weeks ago! Steve Dahl for anyone in Chicago wondering

Posts: 795 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My old all time favorite

Due to various complications of diabetes I had to abandon them
in 2003. Fortunately I've found some new suitable replacements. Still ain't nothing like a proper apple crisp...

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

You know you want 'em

Oh man, they are my number one biggest weakness.

They are off limits per my wife and doctor. But, there was a donut shop nearby that made incredible apple fritters and I would sneak over there occasionally.

The donut shop went out of business a couple of years ago. It broke my heart, but it was probably for the best for me. Frown

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6425 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It takes a hellava lot of nerve to serve up that pic right after I just finished a Mcdonalds "pretend" apple pie!

(Of course it takes a hellava lot of nerve to ride herd on all of us Sigforum critters, so I guess you have the right certification! Cool)

Posts: 1627 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
There’s a donut shop in Quakertown PA called Yum-Yum Donuts that makes an apple fritter the size of a child’s baseball glove and it weighs probably a pound.

As King of Queens Doug Heffernan used to say “I’m not proud of myself” when admitting I once ate one in a sitting.

Hey, I was hungry and it was delicious!

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Only thing better than an Apple fritter is a raspberry fritter. Both awesome.

Given the choice between a fritter and any donut the fritter wins IMO.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3227 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The Apple fritter from Yum-Yum Donut Shop, Quakertown PA:

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack but if you like apple fritters, you might want to try Chef John's French Apple Cake (which he just posted):

https://youtu.be/fOx59nDPIhg?si=GayGSFV79FNADv9l

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15490 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
We love these; however, we quit buying them at the local stores here. Never tasted fresh-made and we joked that there was never any apple in them (but it wasn't a joke).

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Have two great places nearby that make them fresh. Oh So Good! Nothing like them, EXCEPT:

My wife recently started making a FANTASTIC Apple Fritter cake. She, in the past, had been pretty famous around these parts from her version of the french apple cake above, but the whole family AND my goddaughters family have all voted for the Apple Fritter cake. And its lots easier to make, so she says.

Living in Washington has a just a few pluses, including great apples.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1965 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Beautiful Mind
Picture of DetonicsMk6
posted Hide Post
They're my all time favorite pastry. Especially if made with Jonathan Apples.

Posts: 4814 | Registered: March 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
There’s a place on the Outer Banks of NC in the little town of Buxton that make these and calls them “Apple Ugly’s” and they are huge!
Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.

Indeed, they are amazing

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let’s not forget pumpkin doughnuts

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
If you're ever down in the OBX close to the Cape Hatters Light House stop by Orange Blossom Bakery & Cafe and order one of their Apple Uglies. You will not be disappointed.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16413 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a pdf of the book in Para's video in this link....

http://scholar.lib.vt.edu/digi...TX715.G6245_1927.pdf

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1516 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Those look amazing but I have to refrain cause of diabetes. Maybe I can modify the recipe and air fry them. Won't be the same I am sure.

Posts: 5699 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a little town in Northern California called Sebastopol. It was famous for two things: Charles Schulz and gravenstein apples (and me of course). In the 50’s and 60’s people drove up to Sebastopol from the Bay Area to buy gravensteins; the backup from the one stoplight in town then was two miles every weekend in the summer (Russian River) and late summer for the Gravenstein Apple Festival. IMO Gravs are the perfect apple for baking as well as eating—not too sweet, not too tart.
The nearby town of Occidental then had three home-style Italian restaurants, and each of them specialized in apple fritters for dessert. Those were almost always taken home, as one could not possibly eat the entire dinner much less adding dessert.

OTOH: the most exquisite apple baking concoction I have ever had in the entire world was the apple croissant at a unique Austrian Konditorei in Davis, CA. The Konditorei closed down a year ago when the Austrian chef could not find a replacement, and he really wanted to retire. Sigh. Well, it’s better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Posts: 18090 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I love "good" apple fritters, but finding good ones is becoming a problem. IMHO, none of the chain donut shops make donuts or fritters worth eating. You have to find a Mom and Pop shop to find good donuts.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1697 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I grew up in a little town in Northern California called Sebastopol.
In school, did they teach the Crimean War?

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
YES! Two words to warm the cockles of my heart.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20326 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post