SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Top Fuel Dragster Time-Lapse Engine Rebuild
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Fuel Dragster Time-Lapse Engine Rebuild Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It takes me 7 1/2 minutes to find the first socket I dropped.

A 10mm no doubt

It always hits the top of my shoe which is unfortunately tapered toward the middle of the underside of my vehicle.

I should be so lucky. The top of MY shoe is angled towards a black hole...

There’s a commercial for cold medicine where the guy sneezes and drops his tablet down a storm drain; I think it’s pretty funny.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It's a lot easier when the engine is easily accessible, simple in design and not covered in years of dirt and oil seepage.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The air displaced from those cylinders in 1/4 mile will inflate a frikin blimp.

Any country that wants to start crap with us should know that we design dragsters and monster trucks.........for fun. What do you think we are capable of making if you piss us off?

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
What's the big deal, I could do that in about 6 minutes!!

Big Grin Yeah, 7 1/2 years from now it would still be in pieces and collecting dust if it was up to me!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
It takes me 7 1/2 minutes to find the first socket I dropped.

A 10mm no doubt

12mm is almost as bad.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8702 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Did you notice that almost all the work is done with hand tools, very little with air tools.

Also, a lot of normally individual parts are combined as sub-assemblies. That helps speed things up!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2672 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
The warranty flat rate for an engine rebuild said 7 1/2 minutes and they made it.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3795 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That engine probably had <75 seconds of run time since it was last rebuilt. Some warmup time, burnout, staging, then a few seconds in anger. Then torn down again.

Posts: 887 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phydough:
That engine probably had <75 seconds of run time since it was last rebuilt. Some warmup time, burnout, staging, then a few seconds in anger. Then torn down again.

While what you state is true in the majority of top fuel engines, that engine never ran. It was built/torn down/rebuilt in the studio to exhibit the process and had zero seconds running.

Most assembly lube is gone within 10 seconds.

The video shows lube all over the crank/bottom end.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post