SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Top Fuel Dragster Time-Lapse Engine Rebuild
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Top Fuel Dragster Time-Lapse Engine Rebuild Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
U.S. Army sponsored MOPAR engine and huffer, complete tear-down, micrometer, bearing surface and worn part replacement, & rebuild—all in 7 1/2 minutes. There’s a much longer video of the process if you’d like a more in-depth look, but this is pretty neat.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I was at a car show many years ago and saw this done live. I think it was something like 20 minutes to strip the engine down to the block and reassemble.
Not a movement was wasted.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I'd never be able to keep track of where each nut or bolt went back on. Amazing.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2411 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It takes me 7 1/2 minutes to find the first socket I dropped.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31484 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

A 10mm no doubt

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that they fuzzed out the intake top of the supercharger. There must be some pretty fancy proprietary design going on there.

It blows me away that each one of those cylinders makes more horsepower than a Formula 1 engine.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
quote:

A 10mm no doubt

Wow, that is so true. As far as the video goes it's interesting that for the most part they use all hand tools. Not much for cordless or pneumatic.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I had a MOPAR 440 magnum in my '66 Chrysler. I wish I still had that car.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Otto Pilot:
It's interesting that they fuzzed out the intake top of the supercharger. There must be some pretty fancy proprietary design going on there.

It blows me away that each one of those cylinders makes more horsepower than a Formula 1 engine.

Way different fuel allowances/volumes to the cylinder ... F1 has “road relevance” PC BS. Apples to zebras.

I could say that an F1 car can navigate its way around any 2-4 mile road track far faster than a dragster ever could. Wink

Cool video though!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

The hat design and placement as well as the plenum below it/above the rotors is a very big part of the power that will be made. So, yes it's "fuzzy" logic. Big Grin

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have rebuilt a lot of engines but never one so clean. These guys aren't even getting their hands dirty. Cool video.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9369 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A 10mm no doubt

It always hits the top of my shoe which is unfortunately tapered toward the middle of the underside of my vehicle.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29726 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
...Way different fuel allowances/volumes to the cylinder ... F1 has “road relevance” PC BS. Apples to zebras.

Well sure. I've seen the videos of fuel flow at speed in one of those engines. Still, a bore and a piston is still a bore and a piston and you won't squash my sense of wonder that that engine produces as much power as it does and doesn't fly into a bazillion pieces...very often. Wink

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could cross thread so many things in that 7.5 minutes.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I used to build 1950s cast iron hemis in a small cramped poorly lit garage. Last one was about 1972

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6321 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hberttmank:
I have rebuilt a lot of engines but never one so clean. These guys aren't even getting their hands dirty. Cool video.

That engine was not run before they tore it down.

Still had assembly lube all over it.

Does not take away from the tear-down/rebuild speed.

Having done similar work, when you get in the groove, people can do some pretty impressive stuff.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43920 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
...Way different fuel allowances/volumes to the cylinder ... F1 has “road relevance” PC BS. Apples to zebras.

Well sure. I've seen the videos of fuel flow at speed in one of those engines. Still, a bore and a piston is still a bore and a piston and you won't squash my sense of wonder that that engine produces as much power as it does and doesn't fly into a bazillion pieces...very often. Wink

I cannot disagree ... Smile

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. Damn, those are some connecting rods!

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
They pack so much nitro into each cylinder at speed that is almost a solid. That is why 2 mags and 2 plugs per hole. When they do misfire it is like trying to compress a brick. Then balooy.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
quote:

A 10mm no doubt

It always hits the top of my shoe which is unfortunately tapered toward the middle of the underside of my vehicle.

I should be so lucky. The top of MY shoe is angled towards a black hole...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post