SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearly 1 in 5 Cadillac dealers looking for the exit (Caution: Ugly car picture)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearly 1 in 5 Cadillac dealers looking for the exit (Caution: Ugly car picture) Login/Join 
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
When GM was selling electric vehicles 20+ years ago, they were good for a few years, the batteries tapered off, and they were either junked or parked behind a barn. In most areas, the infrastructure hasn't improved since then.

So I get that they changed their logo to a stripped down generic crest. Why does the whole front of the car have to look like one? Roll Eyes

The Cimarron (and to a lesser extent, the first gen Escalade) is more of a reflection of the events of the time and Cadillac executives ability to sit on their collective asses and not do a damn thing as the world passes them by.

While it is easy to say such a thing retrospectively, It can also be said that they never did anything as stupid as Henry Ford II.

Posts: 9156 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This idea that EVs will be mainstream in the next 10-15 years is absolutely absurd. It won't happen. These manufacturers going all-in will cost them dearly.

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Let's see how much dealer pushback once this trickles down to the other franchises. And how many "mom and pop" stores close or sell out to dealer groups. The dealer group thing is a whole different game, both the consumer and the lower tier employees are the ones that suffer.

That is unless like many other programs this is in effect for a couple of years and then the Corporation decides that "there has to be a better way".

Would not be the first time that exact scenario occurred.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The governments (both states and federal) will force the point, whether it's really viable or not.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeNH:
This idea that EVs will be mainstream in the next 10-15 years is absolutely absurd. It won't happen. These manufacturers going all-in will cost them dearly.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You do realize that coal is rapidly going away. It can't compete on cost with natgas and renewables.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Coal burning cars being sold via tax subsidies.
I'd agree with NG but remewables??? Without government $$$ they would all fail. The ROI is a joke.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If I had a garage and the money, I'd definitely have a 200 mile range all-electric car ["EV"]. Volvo is also pushing EV's. But I'd keep the truck with its L20 305HP V8.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
The governments (both states and federal) will force the point, whether it's really viable or not. . . .

I think that needs a repeat. In the name of saving the planet (which is a cover for increasing gov't power over the people), state and fed govt's will push/subsidize (mandate?) electric vehicles.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dan03833
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
My neighbor bought a Tesla last month and decided to lecture me on fossil fuels and the environment. I brought over my latest electric bill which included a breakout of how my electricity is being generated.

Over 70% of my/his electricity is generated by burning fossil fuels. Roll Eyes

The only thing electric cars do is push the carbon use upstream. Also, at the end of their lifespan, what happens to the batteries?

Posts: 1539 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: February 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
My neighbor bought a Tesla last month and decided to lecture me on fossil fuels and the environment. I brought over my latest electric bill which included a breakout of how my electricity is being generated.

Also point out that the metals used in making the batteries have to be mined, and that some of them come from countries hostile to the US, in states of civil war or other political instability, or both.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not so much any more...

https://www.carbonbrief.org/so...history-confirms-iea

quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
quote:
You do realize that coal is rapidly going away. It can't compete on cost with natgas and renewables.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Coal burning cars being sold via tax subsidies.
I'd agree with NG but remewables??? Without government $$$ they would all fail. The ROI is a joke.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't GM just pay the bulk of the dealer transition costs? It's just $30M, and they would keep those dealers. Why purposely lose them, possibly to competing manufacturers? And pay those dealers, to boot?

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^^ Because GM can see a day when teenagers will order parts for EVs off of the internet and assemble them in their garages. 'Casette'-type components will simply be shipped back to the factory for repair or replacement. Having dealers will make less sense as time goes by, so dealers that don't bring something special to GM's sales can be left by the wayside.
quote:
So I get that they changed their logo to a stripped down generic crest. Why does the whole front of the car have to look like one? Roll Eyes

No matter how many times I look at that picture in your OP, I keep seeing my grandfather's old electric razor.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
This article explains Cadillac's philosophy:https://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/01/nearly-half-of-cadillac-dealers-sold-less-than-50-cars-last-year/

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post