SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nearly 1 in 5 Cadillac dealers looking for the exit (Caution: Ugly car picture)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nearly 1 in 5 Cadillac dealers looking for the exit (Caution: Ugly car picture) Login/Join 
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Lectric is coming, people want it.
And if they don't like or want it, it won't much matter as government through the extortion of private industry will force it on you. I hope to keep and continue to drive my 10mpg, 20 year old, carbon spewing truck forever. I think it likely negates at least 5 of these Lectric toys.

People in certain areas of the country want it, the dealers probably know their market and whether their customers want overpriced electric vehicles that will give them a false impression of saving the world or not. When these come out and flop we will see how many really wanted them. I tend to think that one Biden starts to destroy our economy next year there will be nobody in 2022 that can afford them. The government should have never bailed out GM. Maybe when they failed someone with some sense would have purchased them.

Posts: 4114 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Ex wifes family are big Caddy fans. My in-laws had an STS with the NorthStar motor. They would let me drive it. Near their home was a bridge with an elevated platform. I could get the STS to jump it.
Like the Duke boys, but with cushy leather interior. Great car!
My Ex currently has an Escalade.
She wont go electric.
I would guess there are a lot of long standing Cadillac owners who share her decision to not electrify.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:
quote:
quote:
And if they don't like or want it, it won't much matter as government through the extortion of private industry will force it on you. I hope to keep and continue to drive my 10mpg, 20 year old, carbon spewing truck forever. I think it likely negates at least 5 of these Lectric toys.

People in certain areas of the country want it, the dealers probably know their market and whether their customers want overpriced electric vehicles that will give them a false impression of saving the world or not. When these come out and flop we will see how many really wanted them. I tend to think that one Biden starts to destroy our economy next year there will be nobody in 2022 that can afford them. The government should have never bailed out GM. Maybe when they failed someone with some sense would have purchased them.
Agree with your take on what Slo Joe will do to the economy, but I also believe he'll be exactly like Barry O (hell, most of his administration picks are Barry O retreads) and have Congress put through another even bigger electric car subsidy. If made to stand on their own without any rebates or subsidies from Uncle Sugar, most Lectric cars would whither and die.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agree with your take on what Slo Joe will do to the economy, but I also believe he'll be exactly like Barry O (hell, most of his administration picks are Barry O retreads) and have Congress put through another even bigger electric car subsidy. If made to stand on their own without any rebates or subsidies from Uncle Sugar, most Lectric cars would whither and die.

The wife and I were watching TV last night and some electric car was being advertised ... and I noticed the gov is either still, or back to offering a $7,500 tax credit on the purchase of an electric vehicle ...
It may have been Ford as I've seen several of their nameplates going electric ... like the Mustang and I believe the F150 ... and they both are whorrifying!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5707 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
preproduction vehicles rarely make it like they are designed once engineering and accounting grab ahold of it.

Thats for sure.
Compare the Olds Alero concept to the fugly POS production car.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Coal burning cars being sold via tax subsidies.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
At this point t in time I have ZERO interest in an EV. And that one picture of the Cadillac EV is a joke right?

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Remember when GM forced everyone who wanted to sell Hummers to have a stand-alone building in order to sell them? This seems like just as dumb of a requirement.

Oh, like Saturn, another of GM's great ideas. Just how many Billions of dollars did it's development and subsequent closure of Oldsmobile (directly related to that reason) did that cost the corporation? I would not even want to guess, probably a lot more that it would have cost to give Oldsmobile some decent product.

Don't worry, several years ago Cadillac was pushing the concept of all their franchises going to standalone facilities. They could share Fixed Operations facilities if they were a dual or multipoint dealership though. Duplication of those facilities would be a losing proposition, two separate but equal facilities, staff, equipment, etc. Haven't heard much of that but I've been out of dealerships for almost three and a half years now, if I had stayed in this would have been my Golden Anniversary year.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

But, the "right" people get subsidized with taxpayer money.

I would like to see a sound, verifiable report of the economic and environmental realities of electric cars. What is the real cost to buy and operate an electric vehicle without subsidies? What is the true enviro impact, incl manufacturing/disposing of batteries, generating the electricity needed to operate the car?

Plus, it takes 5 minutes to fill your gas tank. How many hours does it take to recharge your Tesla?

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I’m wondering what the resale value and longevity of electric vehicles is, when the batteries are at the end of their useful lives. I hear they’re mucho expensive to replace - if replacements are even available.

In the meantime, I’ll keep driving my internal combustion motor vehicle.

Never had much interest in Cadillacs.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10491 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
If we're piling on the anti-EV thing, we can poke the Greenies about the environmental impact of building and disposing of the batteries.

- - - - - -

Back on topic: In my area I can think of three Cadillac dealers within easy driving distance. I'll bet at least one of those will take the buyout, leaving Cadillac owners in that area with an hour or longer drive to get to a remaining dealer. Way to not support your buyers, GM... way to go.

- - - - - -

Personal rant: "Hey, Cadillac, just because you CAN put two stacks of super-bright LED daytime running lights on your vehicles doesn't mean it's a good idea. Oh, and turn the darned things off at night. Thank you."

- - - - - -

The Cadillac I want is the CTS-V wagon, because I'm geeky like that (don't forget the manual transmission, fellas), or an old-school DeVille, with that big ol' 470-something cubic inch V8. Cool Or maybe a nice '53 and a metric doo-doo ton of money to spend customizing it.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My last Daily Driver (1986 Mustang GT) was driven for 20 years, then I bought a 2006 Mustang GT (and sold the 1986). I've got only 14 years on the 2006 right now, so expect to be good for at least 6 more years. In the meantime, my backup car is a 1966 Mustang 289 V8.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
EV's are marginally more efficient than their ICE counterpart however if you're looking at reducing carbon and overall pollution you need to take two steps back in the energy cycle and consider the pollution created in producing the electricity in the first place

in most cases I think you will find at EV's actually add to overall pollution rather than reduce it

as for that EV in the photo - I'd be embarrassed to own one - it really is fugly and thats being polite

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You do realize that coal is rapidly going away. It can't compete on cost with natgas and renewables.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't think it's so much extorting as coordinating. From what I'm hearing, the automakers are okay with the transition to EVs. The clean little secret is that once over the initial investment hump, and built in quantity, EV's are cheaper to make the ICE powered cars. The UAW is freaking out about this, because if the industry transitioned completely to EVs, a lot less workers will be needed.

quote:
quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Hey Cadillac! Stop pushing ugly shit like this out the door and learn how to spell!
Why anyone would buy such a thing without the influence of a schedule 1 controlled substance is beyond me. Confused

Only sort of related to this thread because of the lines about “I’ve taken a shit better than a Chris Bangel chassis”, but I have to laugh at the subtitles. Pretty great.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Back to product development, I hope that they do better this time than they did with the ELR. Under 2700 made and sold from 2014 thru 2016.

Basically shades of the Cadillac Cimarron, another rebadged Chevrolet aka the Volt.

A number of years ago I saw the official GM Historical Collection of cars. In it they preserved the first and last Cimarron built, in fact the person giving us the tour made that point known. In response I said to him "Why?"

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
I said to him "Why?"

Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't need anything else in my life that requires recharging.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
I have a former client that owns a Tesla (as well as a Land Rover) who took the Tesla from Virginia to the Grand Canyon last year on vacation. I asked him about his ability to recharge the car and he said the computer figures out where to charge the car along the route and since he was a Marriott rewards member and many of the hotels have charging stations it only took him a week to drive out there.

I then mentioned that I drove out there the year before in 2 and a half days...

While I can see that in most families that have 2 or more cars that one could be electric for local errands but at least one will have to be ICE.

Also, with Tesla selling directly to the public and cutting out the dealers the writing is on the wall.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post