SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anybody Here Talk to Thier Dogs (in simplistic terms) in a "Normal" Syantax?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anybody Here Talk to Thier Dogs (in simplistic terms) in a "Normal" Syantax? Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Zeus, Apollo, patrol!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
We had a terror terrier who easily understood a normal question - "Do you want to go out the door backwards?"

Shakespear knew he needed his anal glands squeezed out. So yes he was ready to go. Out we went.

Dad was a veterinarian.

Here is Dad and Shakespear

Another word spoken normally (in the evening only) was "supper". If Shakespear, Suzie, and Peano heard it they, rushed to the chow line, all tails and elbows eager

SIGnature

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I talk to my dogs often in a normal (for humans) conversational tone. Sometimes they look at me and it seems like they're actually listening. There are, of course some words that they definitely understand. "Wanna go for a walk?" always provokes an enthusiastic response, bolting for the front door and sitting there quivering in excitement. "Wanna go for a ride?" Same reaction. I'm not really sure whether the actual trigger word is "walk"/"ride", or "go". Big Grin

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Our dogs are fluent in English and Japanese. It's not by choice, they have to be.

We have discourse in both languages, oftentimes intermixing words from both.

Therefore, we know they are paying attention.

Their grammar and enunciation are impeccable Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
I have a 3 YO Borzoi, I talk to him in full sentences, he completely understands and most of the time he agrees with me.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eat, sleep, fish.
Forced to work.
posted Hide Post
Of course. This little boy understands so much!
Mom, put your computer away! It's time for my run.

I want some of your key lime pie.

This does not go in your Jeep. I am the only GSP that goes in your Jeep!

Posts: 715 | Location: MN | Registered: January 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
I talk to my dogs often in a normal (for humans) conversational tone. Sometimes they look at me and it seems like they're actually listening. There are, of course some words that they definitely understand. "Wanna go for a walk?" always provokes an enthusiastic response, bolting for the front door and sitting there quivering in excitement. "Wanna go for a ride?" Same reaction. I'm not really sure whether the actual trigger word is "walk"/"ride", or "go". Big Grin

Excellent. Pretty much the same with our pup, except "ride in the truck/car" results in such an over the top response of anticipated joy that I dare not say that if not prepared to go for a drive.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
One of my Australian Cattle Dogs was trained with body language and hand gestures. Only audible commands used were her name and an "ehh, ehh" sound for no. No sounds too much like other words and gets used way too much in normal conversation so I always use another sound for that.

She more easily identified how many fingers I was pointing with, between 1-4, if I was palm up, palm down, if my eyebrows were raised or if I was relaxed. When I didn't break eye contact she immediately knew she was in trouble and needed to stop whatever she was doing. Knew to stop when I ended my stride on the foot closest to her.

It's therapeutic talking to a dog I agree, I'd never argue that, but I found it therapeutic being able to communicate with her that way, I'm not sure every breed would be suited for that, but I appreciated how smart she was without ever saying a word. Seemed to work better for me.

I'll definitely use the method for my future ACDs.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I talk to my dogs.
They correct my grammar.

You've got me beat.
My dogs understand me... but only my wife corrects my grammar. Big Grin

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course I talk to my dog. She's pushing 10 and loves Hopalong Cassidy (Hoppy), Trigger, lunch, supper and treats, though not necessarily in that order.

She fully understands "Do you want to take a bath?" and departs my vicinity immediately. She sure understands, "Wanna go for a ride?" and slips away since she thinks that means a ride to the Vet or to get groomed, things she hates.

I can't imagine not talking to her and asking her opinion.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
Just mention "fingernails" and Spunky would disappear.

SIGnature

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
never had a dog, but I talk to other peoples dogs like they are a person,

same with my cats, and the ferret we once had, just talk normally,

granted, the cats, depending on which one, will meow back, or just give you that 'stupid human' look,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife's cat talks a lot. I rarely hear her (the cat) because it's always at a very low volume and I usually don't have my hearing aids in when I'm home.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
You wouldn’t believe how much our lab understands. She still learns stuff even though she is older. Far too much.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Not a dog but Cici, a 9 year old goffins cockatoo, absolutely understands spoken context and can use language to describe what she wants too.
She has learned to put together words from different phrases now.

Just the other day she assembled the phrase "Daddy is in the kitchen" when I was making dinner.
And when I served it, she'll say "time for din din".
She will tell you "time to go nite nite" or "wanna do nite nite"

And her favorite word for an action, "Scratch".
And she will force her head under your hand for a scratch.

She knows the word for toy and will use it to describe any object I give her.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39752 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post