SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does Anybody Here Talk to Thier Dogs (in simplistic terms) in a "Normal" Syantax?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Anybody Here Talk to Thier Dogs (in simplistic terms) in a "Normal" Syantax? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I talk to my dogs.

They correct my grammar.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Rylee listens intently and never interrupts.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Absolutely. I expect I spend more time talking to my dogs than I do talking to people, and prefer it that way.

I've also been known to talk to the cows and calves while feeding them through the winter.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I don't believe dogs understand speech, they have no idea you're trying to communicate that way, they simply hear a noise they have associated with a certain activity, sure they learn commands, but to them it would be no different than learning using sign language. It's simply repetition. I think dogs learn 99% from body language.

I do talk to my dogs, not an owner presently, but like most people that's simply for me, it does nothing for my dog. My tone and body language however, they read it like a book.

100% however; I still find myself talking to the dogs is a more formal manner.

For example; we have a Malamute "puppy" (seven months old and 80 pound 'puppy') will get called "Remington" when sometimes and "Knucklehead" other times. He seems to know when he hears "Knucklehead" he's doing something which will result in me playing with him (ie, chasing him).

Other time, with the Brittany, it'll be, "hey Ruger, how you doing? Are you ready to let Remmy play with you some more?"

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I talk to my dogs.

They correct my grammar.

Remington talks back when he gets frustrated, sassy, playful, etc.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Absolutely.

I think the real question is - who doesn't?

I routinely talk to my dogs as intellectual peers - I even ask them questions, even though I don't expect an answer. . .

They are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for, IMO.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
My goldendoodle is smarter than a lot of people. Sure, I talk to him and he listens. His tail tells me if he agrees with what I say.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My late Border Collie certainly "understood" what we were saying. It didn't seem like it was because of repetition, we'd be talking to each other and she'd have reactions. Now I have a Boderdoodle, 8 months old, she's showing the same intuition, watches as I talk to her and has picked up certain words and phrases.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Yep, it all comes down to the particular dog's vocabulary. For instance, I can look at our 9 month old Cav and say, " Cooper (which get's his attention) do you want to sit on the couch and watch TV with me?" He jumps on the couch and waits for me to sit by him. Or I could simply say "Cooper, couch, TV" and get pretty much the same response. It's a lot more fun to talk in full sentences as it usually result in head cocking which makes us believe he understands each and every word. Also a lot has to do with your tone and body language. Dogs are great.

This.

Most of the extra words are just noise to the animals.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Chihuahua is bilingual . He speaks better Spanish than I do .

Posts: 4057 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Mine understands sentences.

"C'mon Bud, let's go feed the ponies" means "up, off your ass, out the door to the barn, we got stuff to do."

And "C'mon Bud, let's go home. Time for a cookie" means "up, off your ass, head for the house, get a snack."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
I talk to my cat. Does that count?
I don't know, but I talk to all of my cats. Being cats, they don't listen, of course.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Only if they talk to me first. They have me well trained.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
After you deal the cards and they're reading their hands, watch their tails.

Dogs suck at bluffing.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Yes. Mine understands sentences.

"C'mon Bud, let's go feed the ponies" means "up, off your ass, out the door to the barn, we got stuff to do."

And "C'mon Bud, let's go home. Time for a cookie" means "up, off your ass, head for the house, get a snack."

My Malamute understands the following:

"Remmy, get in here" = run to other side of the yard

"Remmy, sit" = run to other side of the yard

"Remmy, leave me alone" = sit in my lap no matter how much I push you away

"Remmy, eat your food" = what ever you do, leave your bowl alone and see what is the other dogs' bowls.

etc

posted Hide Post
Our mini dachshund, Hutton, who doesn't like anyone except for the grandkids.

She barks, growls and bites everything, including Yotes.

I called her an asshole, she smiled.

I tell her "nice job" for protecting the grandkids, she smiles.

Damn dog is smarter than I am.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I was just talking about this with one of my customers the other day.
He came into the office and heard me from down the hall talking to someone about a shipping issue I was having with a vendor. He thought I was on the phone because he said he didn't hear anyone responding even though it sounded like a back and forth conversation. "Yeah I know.....I told him that....you're right, I should give them a call and see where that is..." and such.
I heard him walking around by the lobby and invited him back to my office and when he came in he said he was sorry he interrupted my call. I was at a loss and said no worries and that I wasn't on the phone. He asked "well who the hell were you talking to then?"
I started laughing my guts up and pointed to the corner behind him.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Absolutely...The scary part is the sometimes when spelling words (even spelling backwards) did not work. Beagle / rat terrier pound rescue. ................................. drill sgt.

Posts: 2007 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
My son's dog comes to visit often. I'll tell him to "lay down on your bed," or "do you want a treat," or "let's go outside."

I strongly suspect he is reacting to "bed," "treat," and "outside," but I still use a complete sentence.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Talking to your pets, much like talking to yourself, is the best way to get intelligent conversation.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15231 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post