SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The perversion of tolerance.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The perversion of tolerance. Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
I keep rubbing up against the "millenials" at work, and being that I live in MA, the creeping sickness that has taken hold is rampant here. It's out of control, and it is the perversion of tolerance.

What most people think of New England, and the typical city-dwelling denizens, isn't how I grew up, and it's not actually traditional New England. The smug leftists, while they've been gradually taking hold for decades, are a new development in the arc of culture of this area, and hopefully not a permanently dominant one.

A girl can dream, anyway. Will the politics of this area change? I don't know. Beyond those politics, the most recent fuckery is in the form of this twisting of words.

The New England I grew up knowing, one which was influenced by my extended family from Maine and New Hampshire, was one where tolerance meant leaving alone what left you alone. This, to me, is the essence of tolerance, and the extent of what anyone can ask, when they ask for tolerance.

What is different now, two key points really. One, is that now they say Tolerance. Two, is that these whelps have conflated tolerance and acceptance. Whether this is a deliberate or unintentional confusion is of no consequence.

Generally, I'm a tolerant guy, if you want to blow dudes, or call yourself "Zee" or any other made up pronoun, have at it. I'll mind my business, you mind yours.

But, (not so) suddenly, that isn't good enough. Oh, no, now it's a "microagression" to call someone "sir" based on their appearance. This must be stopped.

No one is entitled to more Tolerance than others, we all have to be tolerant, but what you want isn't more important that what I want, and we all need to get along in public. Which means we all make some compromises.

You can't demand Tolerance any more than you can demand Respect or Acceptance. At least, not if you're straight and white. Meanwhile, I can't self-identify as "straight and white," I'm TOLD that I'm "cis-gendered." Meanwhile, the butthurt flows if anyone straight and white doesn't let other self-identify.

I really, really don't care what people do in their homes, as long as it's not a felony, you can dress up like animals and have cuddle parties, call eachother made up names, so on and so forth. You can even announce that you're changing your gender, hell maybe do it legally, whatever. But, that only entitles you to small t tolerance. Nothing more. You get the same we all get, which is to go about our lives.

To ask for more than that, nay to demand Tolerance, is dangerous.

If you want equality, equality means no one is special. I'm all for equality. If you're out there insisting that everyone accept who you are, you're not asking for tolerance, and you won't get it from me.

Mind your business. This is what members of a functioning society do.

As a white straight man, no one cares about my needs and feelings, and that's just fine. But it doesn't mean I have to take any of this nonsense sitting down, or that I owe anyone else more than they owe me.

We all need to be tolerant people. Small t tolerant is something that you should try to be, because it is the way the world runs smoothly. Maybe you can take the time and effort to show your fellow man or meat popsicle a kindness, but you should at least be tolerant.

Be wary of those who are "asking" for more, because they aren't really asking, or interested in tolerance.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said, Sir. Or Ma'am. Or Zee.... Smile

Posts: 1731 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Extremely well said.

I haven't run into it this far out in the puckerbrush.

Yet...

Things will Not End Well when I do.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15490 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm at the point where I don't care if you are gay, straight, or love monkeys. If you are both consenting, good for you.

I will not alter my life to accommodate yours. Your boat, you row.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
It has been like this for years. The 'weird' people don't WANT "tolerance" of their lifestyle(s). They DEMAND "acceptance."

They will never get it from me, but the more people who cave to their buffoonery, the more militant they get.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are regional differences, as well as class differences. Those in the military are definitely different if they have served a few years and have families in their mid twenties. Working class kids without college degrees are often quite conservative. Parenting makes a huge impact as well.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's been my experience that the people who are most vocal about being tolerant tend to be the least tolerant in action.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There are regional differences, as well as class differences. Those in the military are definitely different if they have served a few years and have families in their mid twenties. Working class kids without college degrees are often quite conservative. Parenting makes a huge impact as well.

There are all kinds of differences. People are different in a host of ways. What isn't different, and shouldn't be, is the dose of tolerance applied to one type over another.

Equity means no one is special.

Arc.

Posts: 27123 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I can tolerate a great deal.

Acceptance and celebration, are not co-equal to tolerance.

And I will certainly not tolerate my willingness and right to refuse acceptance or celebration as "miro-aggression" or any other such silliness.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Acceptance and celebration, are not co-equal to tolerance.

Precisely. If we have to accept and celebrate everybody, then that means jihadists, skinheads, and all the fringe elements get the same amount of acceptance and celebration.

It means that there has to be a "god hates fags" float in the gay pride parade, etc.

Arc.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Equity means no one is special.

In reaching for equity, they managed to put social values in flux. Once social values were (are) in flux, all sorts of possibilities open up. They had equity in reach and suddenly noticed that continuing down the same path might bring them some quantum of power.

Now they want power, and are calling it equity because they think it will feel good to be powerful and they claim that power makes up for the time they spent feeling they were being picked on.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is precisely how Castro took over Cuba and the Ortegas took over Nicaragua and how both Castro and the Ortegas made those countries their personal family fiefdoms. It is, sadly, simply one of the more childish aspects of human nature.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
I think there are decent folk out there who do just want real equity and tolerance, and the path to that meant these groups rising into the public eye.

It is a shame that those among them who thirst for power have now begun to corrupt it. It's more than that though, this uberPC "feels" nonsense, where no one should be uncomfortable ever.

Being tolerant of others, means sometimes being uncomfortable, it's tied to this "I'm offended" bullshit, as if being offended is now a privileged class. It sickens me.

Arc.

Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I guess in their eyes you must be ......DEPLORABLE.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3635 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
"The 'weird' people don't WANT "tolerance" of their lifestyle(s). They DEMAND acceptance "COMPLIANCE"

re: "your boat....you row"
MOST excellent!!!!

My science teacher circa 1958 told me anyone has a right to swing their fist as long as it doesn't hit someones nose.

reading the current confusion circulated as Social Reality, seems to believe as long as I have a nose everyone has the right to swing at it...

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9874 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It's only fair. We've been tolerating perversions for decades.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've had a very good friend for many years who just happens to also be gay. We've always gotten along exceptionally well working together and coexisting away from work because of one very important agreement. I don't expect him to agree with, condone, or even accept the way I choose to live my heterosexual life, and in return, I will afford him the same courtesy. Ultimately, I treat it as none of my business.

The problem today is as you noted. Most of those screaming the loudest, and causing the most strife, don't what tolerance, they want 'forced acceptance'. They don't seem to grasp that we humans don't respond well to being forced into doing anything. And if they keep pushing, the eventual push back is going to be devastating.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
And "tolerance" in and of itself is not a virtue. There are many things we should not "tolerate". Setting off nail bombs in groups of children, rapists, murderers, William Shatner singing, and other such horrors. Some things cannot and should not be tolerated. And those that scream for the "big T" Tolerance, see how they 'tolerate' a white Christian male gun owner.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
I've had a very good friend for many years who just happens to also be gay. We've always gotten along exceptionally well working together and coexisting away from work because of one very important agreement. I don't expect him to agree with, condone, or even accept the way I choose to live my heterosexual life, and in return, I will afford him the same courtesy. Ultimately, I treat it as none of my business.

The problem today is as you noted. Most of those screaming the loudest, and causing the most strife, don't what tolerance, they want 'forced acceptance'. They don't seem to grasp that we humans don't respond well to being forced into doing anything. And if they keep pushing, the eventual push back is going to be devastating.

This is what it boils down too. Good people will accept people for who they are. All people rebel when forced to do something, even if it's something they'd do anyways.

I don't give s shit what you do in your bedroom, and I CERTAINLY don't want to hear about it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Well said! The soft despotism of the cult of Progress.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post