SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
I’m kind of tired of having to take off my glasses to read or switch to readers. I was constantly putting my glasses up on my head to read and then flinging them off forgetting they were there.

I went in to Sam’s Club to see the doctor sure that I wanted bifocals. See, I read that you lose peripheral vision with progressives and you have to seek the clear spot by moving your head up and down. They looked at me as if I were nuts when I asked about that. They said there’s no downside to progressives. I wasn’t convinced but agreed to progressives because they said i can return the glasses within 60 days.

Anyone not happy with progressives? This will be my first pair of multi focal lenses.

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
Took a bit to get use too e.g. while walking down stairs with my head down but now I love mine.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressive

Thought you were talking about car insurance

Posts: 5293 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressive

Thought you were talking about car insurance
oops. Added the s. Big Grin

Posts: 45327 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried them . Couldn't get used to them . Went with old school bifocals and all was good .

Posts: 3967 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post
I like mine a lot for daily wear. Started wearing them 2 years ago. Did not have much of a problem adapting to them. I only wore glasses for reading and computer work. But started not being able to read menus, my phone and such.

I still use single vision set to 2-3ft for my computer use. Can't stand having to move my head around to focus on different parts of my monitors.

Get the premium lens material that makes the magnifying "gutter" wider.

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Hated bifocals. Tripped going downstairs, over a dog. Progressives were weird at first, took a few days to a week then brain learned. Now not an issue except for working up close where I need to look out or up instead of down.

Posts: 18011 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Love progressives. Couldn't use the 'old school' bifocals at all

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I was NOT happy with my first pair at all. I very specifically told them that what I 'really' needed them for was computer work, like 90% of my need. When I got them, it was like I was looking at my PC with a magnifying glass. I was limited to approx. a 4" dia. area that was in focus at any given time. The progressives did improve my distance vision, but I didn't 'really' need them for that. I could see OK to drive w/o glasses, but couldn't see the dash (speedo, radio, HVAC controls). The progressives fixed that, but the side mirrors were out of blurry. I went back and they ordered new lenses, ground for a lower pupil center, which helped some, but didn't fix the problem. When those didn't meet my satisfaction, they told me that there ware about 3000 different progressive grinds, to which I thought, 'well then why did we order these'!

I had decided I need two pairs of glasses (one pair for computer work & reading) and one pair for everything else. I had hoped to get the same frames in a slightly different color, but due to 'Global Supply Chain' issues, they weren't available for about ten months! So I bought new progressives, but couldn't use them and was stuck with my original glasses for another year! Mad

I get my Premium/Computer Progressives next week (ordered 12/27/22), and as my Vision Plan is on the calendar year, I'll be ordering new progressive lenses (in an appropriate/different 'premium' grind) for my 'regular glasses'. So the jury is out, but I'm REALLY hoping my this works out according to plan.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8777 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I have them, work great and didn't take long to get used to them, no issues with any part of vision. With any glasses your peripheral vision is somewhat compromised if you are looking outside the edge of the lens.

When you get the script ask for a separate script for computer use. It changes the focus so that you don't need to tilt your head up to see the screens, and add the blue tint to them,

Made a big difference for me, not having to lift my head up to find the sweet spot to see the screen. Basically it reduces the distance area and increases the intermediate, will save your neck...

Posts: 23224 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It took several pairs till I became entirely comfortable with progressives. IIRC the first pair had too much correction for distance and too little for near vision, the second pair was too little for far and too much for near. It is also important that the transitions from near to mid to far occur at the right point in the lens.

The correction for distance extends across the full width of the upper lens, but the mid and near segments are in a narrower channel more toward midline. At first this required a deliberate effort to slightly rotate my head side to side to see closer objects but it has become second nature over time.

So after getting the prescription and transition points dialed in and getting used to them they work pretty well.

Posts: 763 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I'm curious about progressives and bifocals. I currently use 2 Rx's: 1) distance (driving; outdoors); 2) intermediate (indoors, computer; can drive w/ these during the day). Diopter is about -4.0 and -3.0, respectively. To read my phone or a book, I can use #2 but it's more comfortable to remove my glasses.

Multiple single vision glasses have been mostly okay. But I'm curious if bifocal / progressive would be more convenient.

But would I use it for #1 or #2? Both?
1) Driving / Outdoors (and add intermediate? reading?)
1a) One of each: driving+intermediate (I'm not sure I've really needed this to date) AND driving+reading (might be useful for phone navigation)?
2) Indoors / Computer (and add reading?). This seems most likely scenario - don't need distance; and when indoors, more likely to read something.

And then wondering things like:
* lens material - I usually get Trivex for shooting protection (I can wear any glasses and shoot). If available, should I get Trivex or something else (ie - high index)?
* should i use frames with larger lenses? or smaller lenses? wider? or just taller?
* should i use progressive or bifocals? depends on the frame/lens size? lens material?

It's always been too much research for me. And too expensive for trial and error. Nothing to really force me away from single vision but I keep thinking it may be more convenient.

So, good thread. Hope to learn from other's experiences here as well.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12682 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I'll follow this thread. Not in need yet, I can still just lift up my near sighted glasses to read but it is coming at 53

Posts: 5293 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Best thing I ever did was to finally fill my scripts for progressive lenses. Refused for several years because I didn’t want “bifocals”. Well I was a dumbass and squinted and lifted my glasses up so I could squint even more to see.

All I can say is they are a game changer for me. Took right to them and mad that I did not give in sooner.

I say get them, try them out and enjoy seeing everything again. Get mine at Costco and great price and all the bells and whistles built in for that low price.

It's all about clean living. Just do the right thing, and karma will help with the rest.

Posts: 1104 | Location: The Republic of Texas | Registered: April 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I'm now on my fourth set of progressive lens glasses. Started with bi-focals, but pretty quickly changed over to tri-focals. I did it mostly because I found the "hard line" of traditional bi-focals irritating when transitioning.

Didn't take much to adapt to them, likely because my vision wasn't horrible when I started wearing them. I tend to turn my head quite a bit anyway...by-product of working during the night time in LE.

Tri-focals have really improved the width of intermediate vision...it used to be a bit narrow. My latest pair doesn't require that I turn my head at all to keep everything in focus...it really is the improvement in grind technology.

For shooting, I had Hunter's Gold grind the lenses so that my dominate eye's focus was on the front sight and the other lens was set up for distance. Full coverage and allows for fast transitions between targets

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14174 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried progressives a few years ago. Doc said it would take some time to adjust. I wore them for a month and my brain never adjusted. Every time I tried to drive I felt like I was in a circus funhouse. Hated them.

Posts: 7337 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I tried them . Couldn't get used to them . Went with old school bifocals and all was good .

Me too. The VA gave me some and after about a month I told them to give me some regular bifocals

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My daily clear lenses are progressive. Love them.

Initially, I made the mistake of getting my prescription sunglasses as progresssive. They were dual purpose shooting glasses and sunglasses. All of the shotgun sports were awful but sporting clays was the worsse. The birds would move from my distance to my reading portions.

Now, my daily clear are still progressive and my sun/shooting glasses are distance glasses.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23093 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I couldn't make them work. They had a small sweet spot in the middle and everything was great. In the periphery all blurry. Drove me crazy. When I first put them on I thought I was still screwy from the refraction. Next day still the same. Wore them less and less for a week and changed back to regular lenses. What I didn't like the most was reading. I didn't notice this until this experience but as I ready my eyes track across the page. With the progressives I'd have to keep my eyes still and track with my head to keep the print in focus. And, driving them I had the same problem.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Worn them for a dozen years. No problem adjusting. it is difficult sometimes to get the angle of your head right to read stuff that's above you. I take a pistol in with me to the eye doctor (well a second one besides the one I'm carrying) to get the sights where I can see them.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post